IN FABRIC
ISLAND OF CATS
MANDY
MAUSOLEUM
ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner, your taste in movies makes me think you'd be a bit like Tarantino if you directed movies - if that's not too insulting?

Ghostbusters meets Giallo or something.

craner

Beast of Burden
I share large overlaps in cinematic taste with him, sure. Apparently he was writing a book about Sergio Corbucci when he decided to make Django Unchained instead, and I think I'm part of the minority opinion that wishes he'd finished the book rather than making the film. I think he'd be a good iconoclastic film critic; in a way, his films are like meta-criticism anyway, or alternative canon-making.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
On of the things I enjoyed most about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was the fetishisation of 1960s film posters.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
These are the bits I liked best

Has anyone been to LA? I went when I was about 12 and remember nothing about it, and probably saw very little of it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've been. I stayed in Santa Monica, but I drove around a lot. I was only there for 2 days though, and would go back again in a second.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I went in 2015. Beautiful setting (and the Griffith Observatory is justifiably famous), lots of weird things to see, but also the most dystopian place I've been in the Western world at least. More homeless people than I've seen anywhere, more desperation, people pushing their entire belongings in this world on shopping trolleys while hipsters sip civet shit coffee or whatever. And the Scientologists are big of course.

We hung out a lot at the diner where Tarantino is supposed to have written Reservoir Dogs (I think..?), and earwigged on a fair few film conversations that could have come from an Altman movie. Great pie too. And LA has the best vegan food I've had anywhere.

I went when I was 12 or 13 too, and my Dad drove us by mistake into Watts. Unfortunately didn't see the Watts Tower tho...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Really - haven't been to San Francisco since the 90s (and yeah, homeless population was big then too). I can understand the reasons, given the tech invasion, but that is truly insane cos downtown LA is just crazy, even outside Skid Row

craner

Beast of Burden
I think that things have got much worse in SF in the last decade or so due to the city's own policies and the opiate epidemic. Tenderloin District was one of the most insane things I've seen.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
California seems in some respects like a dream place to live but then you've got the earthquakes and wildfires etc.

Still, I sometimes wonder why on earth I've elected to spend my life in a dismal rainswept country rather than a sunkissed coastal (semi) paradise.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
California is also such a great metaphorical edge of the western world - a sort of Avant Garde for celebrity obsession, tech dystopia, plastic surgery weirdness... Not that it's always a pleasant thing (it's overwhelmingly not) but it's almost like the prow of a ship we're all on, surging forward into a strange and probably horrible future.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it's the purest distillation of the American Dream, which is both dream and nightmare, proper through the looking glass business.

The climate stuff seems like a good natural symbolisation of that too.

But yeah, I wonder that too (tho climate change is rendering the UK much less dismal in those terms, is the truth). But not California. The reality of America is permanent precarity on a scale beyond what we know here.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
0.54 here gives a good demonstration:

One of my favourite scenes in the film. I love the way all the well-to-do diners briefly look around to watch a man being mauled by some hideous monster and then immediately resume talking and eating like nothing's happened.