nochexxx

harco pronting
never seen it, but might give it a go.

watched climax by gaspar noe the other day. pretty good for about 40 mins, then descends pretty predictably. but i'd still recommend it. there's a great sequence where two very alpha dudes are talking about shagging and it's really gross out.

For anyone that hasn't seen it make sure you don't find out anything about it , otherwise it's a total spoiler. The trailer ruins the film

forclosure

Combat Shock (1986) everything that people were making a big song and dance about with Joker before it came out, this movie did it with a significantly smaller budget and no big names and yet is a thousand times more compelling than what Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix thought they were doing with their toothless "character study".

Not only that but the most surprising thing about this movie is Troma Entertainment put it out and its the least like anything they put out before or since,its got 80s Stanten Island Regan era griminess that permeates the vibe of the movie, the actings not the best but theres a scene where two junkies are arguing over heroin under a bridge and it just feels like things are collapsing cause you get that pit of your stomach feeling that this moment was based in something deeply real.

In this movie rather than anything to do with parental abuse the "sad white guy" in this movie is a Vietnam vet with PTSD it doesnt have any of the complexities or finesse of movies that have tackled similiar subject matter but theres such a blunt anger and bleakness that radiates from the movie.

you can find the regular and directors cut on youtube

nochexxx

harco pronting
Combat Shock is excellent, I reckon Deadbeat by Dawn would make for an excellent double bill as it shares similar production values, nowhere near as deep but really good fun especially the stupid martial art sequences.

craner

Beast of Burden
Helmut Berger, Telly Savalas, Stephane Audran, Caroline Munro, Howard Vernon...for a Franco flick, it has an incredible cast. I can't wait to watch this!

I am a bit annoyed you didn't post it in The Eurocult Film Thread, though.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Helmut Berger, Telly Savalas, Stephane Audran, Caroline Munro, Howard Vernon...for a Franco flick, it has an incredible cast. I can't wait to watch this!

I am a bit annoyed you didn't post it in The Eurocult Film Thread, though.

Glad you approve. The film is brilliantly off, everything from the outer limits cast, to the fifth dimension George Michael theme that runs all the way through. It also has the classiest gore sequences -he shoots those facial scenes with the same eye he has for water if that even makes sense. Glistens with that Franco 70s sparkle. I’ll start using the Eurocult thread more often!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Endless is definitely worth a watch - about two brothers who escaped a 'UFO death cult' only for the younger one to become disillusioned with their mundane life outside, and wish to revisit the cult compound. It's far more of a mood piece than a traditional horror - frustratingly it's not realised as well as the opening scenes suggest it might be, but fits into the recent lineage of sci-fi horror films mulling over questions of identity and loss (always a winner for me)

Any other suggestions for films in this vein welcomed. Coherence, Alex Garland's pair of sci-fi films, as well as elements of Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin and White Bird in a Blizzard (which very much are not sci-fi, but have an atmosphere not a million miles removed)

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Any of you seen Uncut Gems yet? It's extremely well made, I liked the story etc but it's deliberately one of the most annoying viewing experiences possible. Angry Noo Yawkers shouting at each other about money for 2.5 hours. The sound mix is deliberately done to set teeth on each, cutting in, shouting over, all in situations of varying degrees of awkward, excruciating tension.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's a separate thread here, some really interesting stuff, including an interview that Version posted on the Jewish aspects to the film (which I found really enlightening).

Loved the sound mix!

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Endless is definitely worth a watch
I've seen that. Weird low-budget brainy sci-fi, file with Primer etc I think. I agree it doesn't quite deliver on its promise, the start feels very real, something that can sometimes be achieved with no money and non-actors (although sometimes the effect is totally opposite) but the end is just a bit too confused/confusing. It does have a genuine creepy darkness to it at times though.
I believe there is a precursor film (and will be a sequel) but you don't have to have seen that for it to make (some kind of) sense.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'll definitely keep a look out for the precursor in that case. If you liked it, I would also highly recommend The Rapture starring Mimi Rogers, which is a definite classic imo. Another in the list of Scientologists who are pretty superb actors (I'd put Elizabeth Moss in that list too)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Any of you seen Uncut Gems yet? It's extremely well made, I liked the story etc but it's deliberately one of the most annoying viewing experiences possible. Angry Noo Yawkers shouting at each other about money for 2.5 hours. The sound mix is deliberately done to set teeth on each, cutting in, shouting over, all in situations of varying degrees of awkward, excruciating tension.

I need to rewatch at home — having seen 'Good Time' at home, able to take a smoke break, I knew what to expect but in that concentrated dose you get at the cinema I did find it getting a bit too much for me at times. The way the tension ratchets up in the last twenty minutes or so is absolutely masterful — but actually most of the time I wasn't feeling tense just overwhelmed by the volume of it all. It puts you on edge in a way that I didn't expect.

luka

Uncut Gems is a lot like Joker. I started out thinking well there's so much hype I should probably go to see it but the more people talked about the less attractive the idea of watching it became.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'll definitely keep a look out for the precursor in that case. If you liked it, I would also highly recommend The Rapture starring Mimi Rogers, which is a definite classic imo. Another in the list of Scientologists who are pretty superb actors (I'd put Elizabeth Moss in that list too)
It actually seems to me that there is almost a genre or movement or something of low-budget sci-fi that works without (or with a minimum of) special fx and depends purely on a good idea and tight dialogue.
I'm struggling to remember the name but there is one where they are at a dinner party and there is some kind of event but basically they realise that they can move between parallel universes by going outside and they are trying to identify the different universes by using various objects and stuff... what's that?
Also another one where this is a woman who claims to be from the future and she has a cult of followers plus some investigators who manage to join but can only go and see her blindfolded so they can't get that close to her... again no fx but a genuinely intriguing is she/isn't she for real type film.
Or that found footage type film Creep - again no fx or action and a plot that goes in directions quite different from what you might expect.
Put those three together with Primer and The Endless and possibly the one you just mentioned and maybe it almost feels like a thing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's Coherence, the dinner party one - my favourite of all of them.
Not sure about the second one.
There's also Triangle, starring Melissa George - very entertaining, though less self-consciously 'indie' than the others here

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah yes Coherence that's it. Dunno why I can never remember the other one, I asked someone just the other day but it's gone. Anyway, the woman who is in that is in several indie weird type films which I need to check out.