AIDS: conspiracy or reality?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Ok, that makes sense. I mostly think that you run the riskk of being able to force the numbers to fit when you're testing qualitative sorts of hypotheses...

And can I just say, that video from the other thread with Dr. Luke M. is horrible, facile and outright wrong.

"Oxidative stress"? Is that interviewer serious? If eating anti-oxidants prevented HIV/AIDS, then sub-Saharan Africa, an area where the average diet is MUCH healthier than it is the U.S. and where people are FAR less likely to be exposed to mutagens/carcinogens and "oxidative stress" than Westerners are, would have the lowest HIV rates in the world.

Likewise with China versus the U.S. Newsflash people: food cannot and will not prevent you from being infected with anything. It might, in some cases, speed up your recovery. But as far as transmission goes: food is irrelevant to exposure/transmission of viruses.

When he said "I believe that people get infected with HIV all the time and their immune system fights it off" I almost pissed myself. Citations please!! That's ludicrous, beyond belief, just flat out wrong.

craner

Beast of Burden
I just noticed that he came back 4 years later and added a disclaimer at the start of the thread!

craner

Beast of Burden
You were accused of laying the groundwork for humanity's enslavement in this thread, padraig. What do you have to say for yourself?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
with I see, the bonus of a Nomad v. Vim argument about statistical methodology that I, for reasons lost to the mist of time, interjected into

10 years ago, more like an eon

truly, it was a long, strange clusterfuck of a decade

padraig (u.s.)

in general I guess see above post - Zhao, long strange decade, mists of time, etc

I have to go to work so I have don't have time to investigate the particulars right now

whatever they are, humanity has been doing just fine laying the groundwork for its own destruction with or without my help

craner

Beast of Burden
@ mms & padraig (u.s.): It is quite revealing how both of you - in a strikingly similar reaction to my post - immediately try the refute the claims of the dissenters from the single pathogen theory of AIDS by refering to supporters of it that you know from the sphere of your own private lives. What seems to make the opinion of these persons relevant in regard to this matter is obviously not their level of expertise (after all it's a Nobel laureate whom you don't believe) but the fact that they are somehow involved with the current initiative that is being taken against "AIDS". You regard the merit of their effort and struggle as unquestionable and therefore simply dismiss the possibility of a truth that would expose their actions and convictions as futile and heteronomous. For you the the significance of what these people do and what they believe is beyond doubt. Everything that threatens to destroy this little private microcosm of meaning is thus to be labelled as "nonsense". It is precisely this cozy existential bubble bath paired with a ridiculous degree of self-rightneousness that lays the foundations for humanity's enslavement.

;)

padraig (u.s.)

in re AIDS: virtually everyone - in higher-risk populations at least - I encounter these days is on PrEP

it was wild actually - to me - to discover how much condom use has declined

the attitude being essentially "PrEP covers HIV, the rest is treatable"

which is vastly different to when I was a young person

padraig (u.s.)

oh yeah I very vaguely remember that guy

a josef k type, I think from Germany or somewhere in northern Europe?

"it is quite revealing" lmao who talks like that; I don't but doubt he's flourishing in these latter days or redditchan etc rabbit hole online theory toxicity

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oh yeah I very vaguely remember that guy

a josef k type, I think from Germany or somewhere in northern Europe?

"it is quite revealing" lmao who talks like that; I don't but doubt he's flourishing in these latter days or redditchan etc rabbit hole online theory toxicity

He was truly a cunt among cunts. I remember him disparaging something as "degenerate art" without a hint of irony or humour. A proper little woke-fascist edgelord.

padraig (u.s.)

Aren't there forms of gonorrhea and stuff now which aren't treatable?
not gonorrhea - to my/Google's knowledge anyway

HSV (herpes) + HPV are treatable but not curable

to be 100% not clear it's not an attitude I'm advocating

Even tho they're curable, STIs are super lame + can lead to complications/permanent damage esp if not treated promptly

padraig (u.s.)

just remarking how surprisingly widespread I've found "I'm on PrEP, the rest will sort itself out" attitude to be

when I was coming of age, people were much more terrified of HIV

turns out once you (basically) nullify that as de facto death sentence, the only thing that scares people enough to use condoms is pregnancy

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I can't imagine being so blasé about HIV as to think "Oh you can get a pill for that now so who cares?"

padraig (u.s.)

I went back + read thru this thread and wow what a delight/blast from the pat

for one, I used to be infinitely better at arguing on the Internet, probably because I cared more (let alone, at all) about it and had the time to devote to it

that was back - like 10-12 years ago - when earnest Internet arguing was kind of the move; "Web 2.0", blog comments, etc

a vastly more naive time, certainly

before Internet discourse had been fully monetized and morphed into the endless churn of content generation, and before feelings had been swallowed whole by irony

a time when you'd carefully compose a comment not because it was part of an artfully constructed, fully realized online persona, but just because you wanted to win a goddamn argument

for another thing, I used to knew a hell of a lot of biology etc that I've mostly forgotten, tho it comes back somewhat reading thru

why in the name of all the gods were we ever arguing with Zhao and some Eurotroll about protease inhibitors and statistical methodology?

why were ever arguing with anyone about anything? I couldn't begin to tell you

still: not a "better" time in any particular sense, but one - in terms of the Internet, anyway - that I much preferred, I think

padraig (u.s.)

I don't want to look back on 2010 with rose-tinted glasses - it was less than 3 years out of the financial collapse, etc

but online alienation was - to me - far less pervasive

preferable to the online of now: endless potentialities of networking, self-branding, dating, self-realization

all time rationalized as time you could be working, or bettering yourself, or swiping left, or

all poised above a howling abyss of emptiness and existential dread

like the existential dread of the woman in the Peloton ad that went viral

who express that we're all cycling inexorably toward what? nothingness. why? no reason.

padraig (u.s.)

and that's my contribution to trying to capture the strangeness of the 2010s

possibly the last decade that will be recognized as a "decade" rather than a collection of moments without beginning or end

padraig (u.s.)

I can't imagine being so blasé about HIV as to think "Oh you can get a pill for that now so who cares?"
it's not blasé, it's risk/reward

PrEP taken daily reduces the risk of contracting HIV by about 99%, in addition to (I'd assume) the lessening of risk via lowered HIV rates in at-risk populations

meanwhile no one actively likes condoms, and many people fucking hate them

it's true that using both PrEP and condoms is the safest, but people don't always make the safest choices in life [shrug]

also, I know you're not doing this, but I think there's an element for some people of rebelling against the policing of queer bodies and queer sexuality

a similar thing happened in the 80s with the bitter dispute within the gay community over closing the bathhouses etc

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
why in the name of all the gods were we ever arguing with Zhao and some Eurotroll about protease inhibitors and statistical methodology?

why were ever arguing with anyone about anything? I couldn't begin to tell you

I was just commenting because I was desperately in love with nomad, and wanted to seem like I could possibly ever keep up with them, which was futile.