Indian Music Recommendations

flashos

Hey Mr Woebot,

here I am, just noticed the thread now...mmm, where to start from?...there's so much...

I think the "Raga guide" double cd is a good recommendation.

Here are mine.

Hindustani (North Indian Classical Music) Vocal:

Amir Khan
Dagar Brothers (of course)
Bhimsen Joshi
Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
Munawar Ali Khan
Amanat Ali Khan
Paluskar
Sarahang (recommended to me, haven't checked it yet!)

Hindustani Instrumental:

Hariprasad Chaurasia (Bansuri/Flute, when he's playing deep long notes and not showing off!)
Pannalal Gosh (Bansuri/Flute, mystical)
Imrat Khan (the Surbahar!)
Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar (the Rudra Veena, the ancient sitar, deepest low notes)
Bismillah Khan of course (Shenai, important instrument in Indian celebrations)
Ali Ahmad Hussain (Shenai, softer than Bismillah which can be a bit harsh...)
Hiralal and his company (Amazing Shenai player, more folk, street than the 2 above)
Akbar Khan (Sarod, Of course)
Ram Narayan (Sarangi)
Sultan Khan (Sarangi with Zakir Hussain...)
Allaudin Khan (tutor/master to Ravi Shankar, Akbar Khan...)

That's for the Hindustani...next time Bollywood?

Woebot

flashos said:
Hey Mr Woebot,

here I am, just noticed the thread now...mmm, where to start from?...there's so much...

I think the "Raga guide" double cd is a good recommendation.

Here are mine.

Hindustani (North Indian Classical Music) Vocal:

Amir Khan
Dagar Brothers (of course)
Bhimsen Joshi
Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
Munawar Ali Khan
Amanat Ali Khan
Paluskar
Sarahang (recommended to me, haven't checked it yet!)

Hindustani Instrumental:

Hariprasad Chaurasia (Bansuri/Flute, when he's playing deep long notes and not showing off!)
Pannalal Gosh (Bansuri/Flute, mystical)
Imrat Khan (the Surbahar!)
Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar (the Rudra Veena, the ancient sitar, deepest low notes)
Bismillah Khan of course (Shenai, important instrument in Indian celebrations)
Ali Ahmad Hussain (Shenai, softer than Bismillah which can be a bit harsh...)
Hiralal and his company (Amazing Shenai player, more folk, street than the 2 above)
Akbar Khan (Sarod, Of course)
Ram Narayan (Sarangi)
Sultan Khan (Sarangi with Zakir Hussain...)
Allaudin Khan (tutor/master to Ravi Shankar, Akbar Khan...)

That's for the Hindustani...next time Bollywood?

science, flashos, science.

adruu

This Is It
did the resonance show get archived flashos? of course i missed it, and i can't seem to find it in resonance.

Badmarsh

confucius said:
sorry for being a nit picker, and doubly sorry if I'm wrong, but aren't these artists Pakistani?

raises interesting questions about interaction and cross pollination between Qawali and Indian Classical through the ages though... care to enlighten?

I don't think I've ever heard Islamic music from India... strange as it must exist, because of the small percentage Muslim population there.

pakistan was india until 40 years ago, qawwali is a much older tradition, predates the partition.

for instance ar rahman, the foremost name in bollywood scores today is muslim, and brings in elements of muslim music

there's also ghazals, which isn't really exactly devotional, but it is very culturally muslim, based on urdu poetry.

pakistan was india until the partition. so yes nusrat did come from pakistan. but i hardly see it like that - its sufi music...it has no geographical boundaries...the only small thing that may give away his pakistani background is that he sang in punjabi alot....

muslim-indian music - zakir hussain, allah rakha, shujat ali khan, ustad bismillah khan to name but a few....these are not singers (qawali) but players of instruments like the sitar, the shehnai, santoor, tabla etc...mainly all coming from the state of UP..why is that? because of the whole kingdom of avadh - i.e where the mughals moved to from delhi...and where the nawabs lived...they liked to wine and dine and live the better life.

massive muslim population in india - 2nd biggest in the whole world after indonesia. there is a wealth of muslim music from the region.

ar rehman is a converted muslim from kerala, south india.

personally the music that is played at the sufi shrines is the most electrifying...ive personally sat and witnessed thru the night a band of qawali singers praising God....its another level of ecstacy if you get what im saying.

zhao

there are no accidents
Badmarsh said:
another level of ecstacy

a friend was in India several months ago, and was telling me of witnessing a sword entering a man's belly and coming out his back while all aound was chanting and eyes rolled up to heaven during a sufi ceremony... no blood.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
confucius said:
how'd you like this? not what I thought it would be - Indian 60s psych in the vein of the Cambodian Rocks series (Vietnamese 60s Psych), but it sounds like the other way around - western 60s psych with Indian influences. thoroughly enjoying it though. Some of the tracks are so good... 3rd song on Vol 3 for instance.

I can't say I've listened to the Cambodian Rocks series (which sounds quite interesting) but I did have fun with the first volume of the Indian influenced psych. Yes, there was a good lot of cheesy stuff present. But still, I think there were some real gems on the comp.

Badmarsh

confucius said:
a friend was in India several months ago, and was telling me of witnessing a sword entering a man's belly and coming out his back while all aound was chanting and eyes rolled up to heaven during a sufi ceremony... no blood.

well u know, us oriental types from the subcontinent, we crazy! haha

Octopus?

Old thread, but just picked up that Lehmber Hussainpuri disc "Folk Attack" and it's excellent. Dr. Zeus handles production for the whole project, and it comes highly recommended.

boomnoise

♫
just as i was ready to put in a fairly sizable order based on the recommendations here, i discover asiansounds has closed down.

anyone know of any other similar places?

are any of the shops on brick lane any good?

zhao

there are no accidents
Octopus? said:
Old thread, but just picked up that Lehmber Hussainpuri disc "Folk Attack" and it's excellent. Dr. Zeus handles production for the whole project, and it comes highly recommended.

yeah this one is nice - modern production, classic vocals.

might be good to get things started for the annual South Asian arts fest I'll be playing... dancing Indian girls... mmmmm...

Roshman

Ahh, had no idea there was a thread about this. Going to dump a load of Bollywood youtube clips on you. If someone shares the Dropbox with me I'll upload a few bits. Grabbed a couple bits from my dad before I went uni for sampling purposes.

Some of you may recognise this one.

If this wasn't played at every Indian wedding I was dragged to in the early 00's then they were doing it wrong.

sus

Ram Narayan's Shankara, Mala, Patdip, Bhupal Tori are some of my favorites.

Paritosh Seal does some really beautiful violin ragas.

sus

«I don’t know whether it’s a Rule, but in reading about masters of classical Indian music, I’ve been struck by how many of them made fundamental alterations to their instruments, sometimes to the extent of inventing a new instrument. Over and over again, a master classical musician will add one string or several to his instrument, or fundamentally change the bridge, or design a longer flute, or add keys, so that not only is their Style individualistic, but so are the very Sounds they make, and the way they make them.»