New Order vs the Rolling Stones

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Both had eras of incredibly influential, massive commerical success - i mean 'satisfaction' and 'blue monday' are pretty much staples of the rock continuum DNA. Both have been around for more than 20 years. They ARE the monoliths of Pommy rock/techno whatever you call it.

The New Order thing is over-looked me-thinks. Not sure how Reynolds framed them in his post-punk book, but New Order were pretty much THE cool band of the 80s if you lived through them. They blended the guitar/indie/techno/electronica thing really well, and despite them becoming fucking horrible and dull with that boolsheet Englisd soccer-anthem thing in the 90s, thery're still a pretty massive unit.

bassnation

the abyss
Buick6 said:
despite them becoming fucking horrible and dull with that boolsheet Englisd soccer-anthem thing in the 90s, thery're still a pretty massive unit.

that songs hilarious though - getting a tune on to top of the pops (enormously popular uk chart music show, now sadly in decline) with a chorus of "E for England" summed up the rave ethos very well i thought.

Last edited:

boosted

Related to this thread, here's a question I always pose for heads and like to see where people are coming from.

Is it Led Zeppelin or The Who?!

My personal opinion is that The Who get my props over Led Zep every time ... I respect the early mod vibes.

don_quixote

Trent End
in all seriousness, when john barnes starts rapping in world in motion it sends shivers up and down my spine in awe of its subtle genius

bassnation

the abyss
boosted said:
Related to this thread, here's a question I always pose for heads and like to see where people are coming from.

Is it Led Zeppelin or The Who?!

My personal opinion is that The Who get my props over Led Zep every time ... I respect the early mod vibes.

its the difference between speed and lsd. the who, definitely. i've got bad memories of mates obsessively learning how to play stairway to heaven on the guitar, it all sounds rather hippy and flabby to these ears. the who were raw in comparison.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
droid said:
Wouldnt Zep Vs Sabbath be more traditional?

yes, but then there would be no discussion about who was better, because everyone knows early sabbath rules.

D

droid

matt b said:
yes, but then there would be no discussion about who was better, because everyone knows early sabbath rules.

Woah!! sanity at last.... Ive been thrashed on other forums for suggesting such blasphemy...

dHarry

The Who = The Clash (sound and fury, signifying nothing)
Led Zeppelin = Sex Pistols (demonic power and glory)
Black Sabbath = Joy Division (darkness, chaos, and majesty)
The Stooges (connecting all the above dots)

boosted

matt b said:

Yes, definitely agree there. Sabbath was daaaaark!

As for the reason comparing Led Zep to The who, well, Robert Plant obviously bit his style from Roger Daltry circa Woodstock. :eek:. We also have this quote from http://www.led-zeppelin.com/bio.html "Their first British show took place October 15th, 1968 at Surrey University. They performed under a new name, Led Zeppelin, coined by the Who's drummer Keith Moon. (As in "you'll go over like a...")"

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The Who over the Zep who only had 5 rilly good choons. Sabbath are as good as the Who for their first 5 albums..

BUT LETS GET BACK TO NEW ORDER...Movement, Power Corruption & Lies (one of the best Pommy albs of the 80s), Low Life, Brotherhood and Technique - all great albums and a pretty good track records for a Pommy band (since most can't get past TWO good albums)..

They mixed in the Krautrock thing with twee-ish vocals and nice big gay beats. Yep they're the Stones but with newer tech. And EVERY BLOODY INDIE-TWEE-TECHNO BAND OWES them a nod, and yet they all espouse bands like the Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, the Field Mice, Belle & Sebastian and the Chemical Brothers etc..etc..

Yr a bunch of tasteless poofs the lot of ya!

henry s

Street Fighting Man
oh, I don't know about this one...I don't exactly see bands lining up to cover New Order albums in full, and if you want to compare legacies, the Stones pretty much defined rambling, decadent rawk (how many album reviews still automatically defer to "Exile-era Stones"?...in fact, how many bands have ever even produced an "era" worth namechecking?), while New Order's real gift is Peter Hook's bassline...New Order's creative roll lasted what, about 8 years, and if you compare that against the Stones '64-'72, you are gonna lose that one, every time...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Buick6 said:
BUT LETS GET BACK TO NEW ORDER...Movement, Power Corruption & Lies (one of the best Pommy albs of the 80s), Low Life, Brotherhood and Technique - all great albums and a pretty good track records for a Pommy band (since most can't get past TWO good albums)..QUOTE]

as opposed to the longevity of most australian bands...
buick 6, are you actually paid to be a professional aussie, btw?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Something needs to be said about New Order's inspiration for/involvement with house music. Didn't Summner engineer/produce the odd house tune too?

As for "E for England" - excellent, nearly (but not quite) in Shamen territory for storming the nation's living rooms with blatent MDMA references.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
henry s said:
oh, I don't know about this one...I don't exactly see bands lining up to cover New Order albums in full, and if you want to compare legacies, the Stones pretty much defined rambling, decadent rawk (how many album reviews still automatically defer to "Exile-era Stones"?...in fact, how many bands have ever even produced an "era" worth namechecking?), while New Order's real gift is Peter Hook's bassline...New Order's creative roll lasted what, about 8 years, and if you compare that against the Stones '64-'72, you are gonna lose that one, every time...

That's a very interesting point about the difference b/w rock and rave/tech..How many cover/tribute records are there of tech acts? Sure there are REMIXES, but no covers...

An Amerindie band(Velocity Girl) covered 'your silent face' over a decade ago, and I think some terrible nu-goth band called Orgy covered 'blue monday'...for all intents New ORder actually have SONGS which makes them coverable (ditto Frente's massive 90s tweecore US COllage hit).

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
big satan said:
i think they should have hung up their intruments after ian curtis offed himself.

depends whether you prefer navel gazing manic depressive indie or proto house music.

i am definitely in the latter camp.

even if they'd only done blue monday they would still be infinitely better than joy division.