Descartes' Legacy: The Century of the Self

Guybrush

Dittohead
A few points ...

Very interesting. The U.S.’s, and thus the world’s, precarious economic predicament gets far too little attention. As you seem to think too, the consequences of a worldwide depression likely would be cataclysmic. I struggle to think of some historical example of when a worldwide depression did not lead to chaos and war—I cannot think of any. :(

I think there are still a lot of interesting thoughts in these series which we haven’t touched upon. I will get back with my 2 yuans later.

vimothy

yurp
thanks for the videos, hmlt. I was totally unaware of Adam Curtis. I found them immensley interesting.

A few points...

You've obviously got some good neo-liberal tendencies (inflation is a government tax), Old Goriot, despite your pessimism....

However, a couple of points:

Didn't the gold standard lead to all sorts of problems?

How can a gold standard be expected to work when it wil mean there are effectively two prices for gold? (ie differing central bank gold prices and free market gold prices = countries buying gold at $35/ounce and selling for a profit on the open market).

Is/was there enough gold supply?

International currency markets (huge capital flows, etc)?

Didn't people go for dollars anyway because they could earn interest?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd like to know enough about economics to be able to join in this discussion, but I don't, by a long way.
It's the kind of thing I always feel that I ought to be interested in, although for the most part I just find it really boring.

tatarsky

The implications of coming off the gold standard, and the massive imbalances in the current economic climate that stem from the ungrounded monetary policy of the Fed (and more broadly global financial deregulation) are of enormous importance, and are only going to become more significant as the gulf between the US's ability to actually make stuff and its ability to borrow to the hilt to continue to buy too much stuff continues to widen. But I don't think Curtis could or should have attempted to explore these problems in either The Century of the Self or The Trap, because they fall outside of their remits.

Both programmes were about tracing back the sources of current prevailing implicit ideologies to their intellectual roots. In The Century of the Self this was Freud with individualism, in The Trap this was Game Theory (or at least the version of Game Theory of the Prisoner's Dilemma that Curtis broad-brushes the whole of Game Theory with) and the increasingly competitive nature of human interaction.

I don't understand why people accuse Curtis of being a conspiracy theorist, in fact, I would say he was quite the opposite and that it would be more appropriate to accuse him of failing to apportion blame at all. His approach is to lay down history as if this is how it has unfolded naturally - ideas occur in ivory towers - some powerful people are drawn to these ideologies and sculpt society around their own views of humanity.

I'd love to see Curtis attempt a programme that looked at the current economic imbalances, how America has been overspending, the wave of asset bubbles we've seen, the coming inflation, and so on, but I suspect that he doesn't actually know enough about it to manage it. It's a ludicrously complicated problem, so I'm not sure who would be qualified frankly?!

As for gold, it worked reasonably well up until the 60s or so, why no longer? As I understand it, Bretton Woods and the gold standard collapsed because of the imbalances that increasing global capital flows created. This was laid out in the Mundell-Fleming model which declared "the impossible trinity" of fixed exchange rates, free capital flow and sovereign monetary policy. Something had to give, and it was fixed exchange rates and the gold standard.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to go back to gold standard, rather it is monetary policy that needs reforming, drastically. The ability of the banks to print money and our economy being established on debt-based money is something I find equal parts baffling and unjustifiable.

Some good quotes from people who well understood the implications of too much power in the hands of financial institutions:

"All of the perplexities, confusion, and distress in America arises, not from the defects of the Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation." -- John Adams

"I have two great enemies, the southern army in front of me and the financial institutions, in the rear. Of the two, the one in the rear is the greatest enemy" -- Abraham Lincoln

This is well worth reading:

http://www.moneyreformparty.org.uk

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its not so much that he is a conspiracy theorist, rather that he is in love with his own (unique at least) style: that panoramic narrative drive, that droll, polite delivery, all to the seductive flicker of image and sound... but as great as that style is, I'm not sure that it necessarily serves to create a convincing forum for his arguments. His love of uncovering the master, hidden, narrative, that secret history which unlocks contemporary meaning, is what links him to the conspiracy theorists I would guess...

old goriot

You've obviously got some good neo-liberal tendencies (inflation is a government tax), Old Goriot, despite your pessimism....

However, a couple of points:

Didn't the gold standard lead to all sorts of problems?

As Tartarsky pointed out, this is a matter of intense debate. Alan Greenspan was a firm proponent of the gold standard, before his famous defection to the Fed and betrayal of the Objectivists (ardent gold supporters).

The position of the economists allied with the Federal Reserve (Friedman, Bernanke) is that the Gold standard made the great depression worse because it limited the ability of central banks to respond. The other side argues that it was the banks that caused the situation in the first place by lending excessively to stock market speculators, and that, like the current central banking measures, lending more would have only prolonged inflation and worsened the problem.

How can a gold standard be expected to work when it wil mean there are effectively two prices for gold? (ie differing central bank gold prices and free market gold prices = countries buying gold at $35/ounce and selling for a profit on the open market).

That is the price they set, a legacy of the de-moneterization of gold... I don't think anyone actually trades at that price. For instance a 1 ounce gold coin in Canada is denominated as $50 legal tender, but when you buy it from the government it still costs around $700 (market price + markup). I don't think Barricks sells them bullion for $35/ounce if that's what your wondering. Central banks also buy at market prices, otherwise where would they get the gold?

Is/was there enough gold supply?

Supply is irrelevant. 1 - scarcity is what is important 2) The gold supply grows steadily at about 2% per year, and never degrades. It is slower right now because there has been less development, and companies have been building up their reserves (probably a hedge against the dollar and an attempt to raise the gold price even further).

International currency markets (huge capital flows, etc)?

Not at all incompatible with the gold standard. What is incompatible with the gold standard is long term trade or budgetary deficits, or funding a war that the economy cannot support. It ensures sound government. Fiat currency has for most of history been considered a temporary war measure (Greenbacks, etc.) The bankers and politicians just liked how much power it gave them and decided it would be a good system to use all the time.

Didn't people go for dollars anyway because they could earn interest?

There is no reason why you couldn't charge interest on a gold-based currency.

Last edited:

old goriot

The implications of coming off the gold standard, and the massive imbalances in the current economic climate that stem from the ungrounded monetary policy of the Fed (and more broadly global financial deregulation) are of enormous importance, and are only going to become more significant as the gulf between the US's ability to actually make stuff and its ability to borrow to the hilt to continue to buy too much stuff continues to widen....

I'd love to see Curtis attempt a programme that looked at the current economic imbalances, how America has been overspending, the wave of asset bubbles we've seen, the coming inflation, and so on, but I suspect that he doesn't actually know enough about it to manage it. It's a ludicrously complicated problem, so I'm not sure who would be qualified frankly?!

I think most people that actually understand the banking system already have a vested interest in it, if only on the fundamental level of social stability and their own financial security. as Henry Ford said,
"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

As for gold, it worked reasonably well up until the 60s or so, why no longer? As I understand it, Bretton Woods and the gold standard collapsed because of the imbalances that increasing global capital flows created.

IMO Bretton Woods was abandoned principally because of the capital flow imbalance of one country - USA - which happened to be powerful enough to abolish a system under which they owed increasing debts that were getting overdue. America emptied their treasury to pay for Vietnam and the Great New Society. When it ran out they were faced with two options: 1) immediate loss of the Vietnam War, enormous government cuts, rising taxes, the sale of assets and a huge decrease in living standards or 2) finding a way to avoid paying back what they owed (in gold or other real assets) anytime in the near future while hoping to make up for it in the long term through the production and export of goods.

They achieved #2 by getting everyone to drop Bretton Woods so they could pay their debt in dollars (I wouldn't doubt that it was foisted on other countries as their part of the common war effort against communism, a means of doing their part to finance Vietnam). They creatively refinanced their debt so that it would take a long time to call in, and would either 1) be made up for with increased production and exports (a trade surplus that would be paid for by foreigners in American dollars - currency which then could be taken out of circulation when it came back to America as payment for the trade balance - hence debt paid), or 2) if production did not increase to match the money supply, and a long term trade deficit occured with the number of excess dollars actually increasing rather than decreasing, the bad debt would be be paid by the various holders of depreciating US dollars. (The term inflation - the increasing price of goods, is actually a subtly misleading term. I prefer monetary depreciation - the decreasing value of money.)

#2 is what has happened. Now people are starting to not want the dollars anymore, so Americans will pay their debt in depreciation since they have failed to make up for it in increased productivity. This is evident in the trade and budget deficits, and massive levels of private debt being carried from the individual consumer level up to the corporate level. By avoiding market correction they were given breathing space (a kind of Chapter 11 protection from creditors), but they used it to continue borrowing for longer without fixing the society-wide problem of excessive spending and lack of production that put them into debt in the first place, thus digging an ever deepening hole through a mix of monetary corpratism and military keynsianism. Now, Bernanke actually has the gall to say (in The Economist) that the excess liquidity in the market right now represents an Orwellian "savings glut" when he knows full well that savings are at an all-time low, and the liquidity is all debt - an utterly shameless, shameless lie. A downturn was unavoidable from the beginning. Now instead of a short severe recession under the gold standard, America is headed for a long, protracted depression of far greater severity.

The much lauded "flexibility" of capital flows in the current system really means the ability of a state to go into deep debt and stay there for a long time while concealing it from the citizenry whose children will pay that debt. In the past people would come knocking for their gold within a couple years. That was a good thing. It kept governments honest. It kept debt levels within reason - both in size and time-frame for repayment. It made countries actually work for what they got, and not borrow on a massive scale against future generations.

This was laid out in the Mundell-Fleming model which declared "the impossible trinity" of fixed exchange rates, free capital flow and sovereign monetary policy. Something had to give, and it was fixed exchange rates and the gold standard.

I'm for the removal of sovereign monetary policy. Sound money is the foundation of all sustainable growth, and is not compatible with political manipulation of the money supply. In my opinion, central banks now play a role as central speculators who base government policy (monetary policy that has a direct effect on the market) in part on their forward-looking projections of what they think the market will require in the future in terms of liquidity and in part on their unknown political objectives that are absolutely secret and not subject to democratic review in any way whatsoever. Every bad decision made at the Fed is enormously costly, and there is absolutely no way of knowing how or why they are made. The government (or secret quasi-governmental institutions) shouldn't be in the business of creating money based on speculation about what the market will require in the unkown future or what they think may or may not be good for the country, their friends or themselves. It's just a bad idea that inevitably leads to severe contractions, or "business cycles", that in my opinion limit long-term growth (others see these cycles of extreme growth and contraction as natural). IMO it's the capitalist equivalent of 5-year plans... a subtle version of the central planning and market intervention that these economists otherwise profess to loathe so much. Once they get a taste of power they sure change their tune.

I'm not for absolute free markets, but in my opinion meddling with currency is the absolute worst form of interventionism. Its absolutely corrupting influence on all levels of society has been well documented by many thinkers over the years, particularily early Americans. "Sound currency" was once something that people thought was worth fighting for, or at least arguing over. As many warned, lack of sound currency has turned a country built on the protestant work ethic of work & save into a crass culture of borrow & spend, cheered on by its leaders... consumer confidence indexes and all that nonsense. No matter how they try to spin it, borrowing and spending cannot create wealth, only the temporary appearance of it - both on the large and small scale.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to go back to gold standard, rather it is monetary policy that needs reforming, drastically. The ability of the banks to print money and our economy being established on debt-based money is something I find equal parts baffling and unjustifiable.

I think the things you identify as debt based financing, or fractional banking, are part and parcel of of any form of central banking with floating currencies. That is how the government regulates money supply. To my knowledge, which is far from complete, the gold standard is the only viable alternative. In my opinion, most of the severe economic problems of the 20th century were caused by excessive lending and expansion of the money supply followed by severe market correction. I see the gold standard as a useful check against this tendency of politicians and bankers to over-spend and over-lend mass amounts of money that a) don't belong to them, and b) shouldn't even exist in an efficient economy. The unitas might be another solution, or an even bigger can of worms.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
This is getting confusing :D

[Funny how no one else gets attacked for being a Hayek loving libertarian, but never mind...]

This going to take ages to dig into, i think, but for now: under the Bretton-Woods system the US dollar was the gold standard, not gold itself. Countries pegged their currencies to the dollar and bought and sold dollars to keep exchange rates steady. The US linked the dollar to gold at $35/ounce, and this was the price at which governments and central banks could exchange dollars for gold. Hence, you personally couldn't buy gold for $35/ounce, but your government could (then sell it on at market price, which was why the London gold Pool was created). Only the US dollar was backed by gold.

old goriot

This is getting confusing :D

[Funny how no one else gets attacked for being a Hayek loving libertarian, but never mind...]

haha I was wondering how long it would take for that to get pointed out. FYI I'm not a libertarian or Austrian economist, although I have some libertarian tendencies and a couple positions in common with the Austrians.

This going to take ages to dig into, i think, but for now: under the Bretton-Woods system the US dollar was the gold standard, not gold itself. Countries pegged their currencies to the dollar and bought and sold dollars to keep exchange rates steady. The US linked the dollar to gold at $35/ounce, and this was the price at which governments and central banks could exchange dollars for gold. Hence, you personally couldn't buy gold for $35/ounce, but your government could (then sell it on at market price, which was why the London gold Pool was created). Only the US dollar was backed by gold.

Oh I see what you were saying earlier re: pegging gold at $35.

The US position of reserve currency with gold-backing was precisely the problem. The one currency that was actually backed by gold sold their reserves by giving out the gold for dollars then putting those dollars right back into circulation without taking in gold. It couldn't continue to meet its obligations with other governments and banks to exchange gold for dollars. Luckily those other governments were allies in a war.

Lyndon Johnson:
"Our role of world leadership in a political and military sense is the only reason for our current embarrassment in an economic sense on the one hand and on the other the correction of the economic embarrassment under present monetary systems will result in an untenable position economically for our allies."

I advocate the classical gold standard, not the Bretton-Woods gold standard.

"One of the most observable effects of the spreading gold standard was a marked decrease in the volatility of inflation rates. Under the previous silver and paper systems, swift inflation could be followed by sharp deflation, and then back to inflation in relatively short periods of time. Beginning with the general adoption of the gold standard, such wide swings grew smaller and smaller, and deflation replaced inflation as the normal state of price movement. This was seen at the time as allowing businesses to plan investment and expenses more easily, and reduce the risk of building large industrial projects."

Last edited:
Its not so much that he is a conspiracy theorist, rather that he is in love with his own (unique at least) style: that panoramic narrative drive, that droll, polite delivery, all to the seductive flicker of image and sound... but as great as that style is, I'm not sure that it necessarily serves to create a convincing forum for his arguments. His love of uncovering the master, hidden, narrative, that secret history which unlocks contemporary meaning, is what links him to the conspiracy theorists I would guess...

The [hidden] Other of the Big Other. So he probably also believes in that other, master - economic - narrative that magically unlocks and safeguards intrinsic "value" - the Gold Standard, too ... :D

Actually, the discussion hereabouts about the supremacy of the military petro-dollar versus the quaint Gold Standard has a Baudrillardian twist: the move from the sorcery of the Gold Standard, corresponding to a Third-Order Simulation [an image that masks the absence of any underlying reality, a magical phenomenon of pure symbolic sublime], to the hyper-real of the Dollar, corresponding to the Fourth Order Simulacrum - the image, the dollar, bearing no relationship to anything other than itself, it being more "real" than the mere real of useless gold [though maybe they could today start up a new "gold" standard based instead on, say, plutonium, so scarce that it guarantees MAD-based peaceful co-habitation ...], is now unstoppable.

Old goriet said:
The position of the economists allied with the Federal Reserve (Friedman, Bernanke) is that the Gold standard made the great depression worse because it limited the ability of central banks to respond. The other side argues that it was the banks that caused the situation in the first place by lending excessively to stock market speculators

Yes, modern capitalism since its inception in the mid-to-late 18th century has suffered from acute and incurable bouts of recurrent bi-polar disorder, for it is indeed a manic depressive institutional structure [hardly surprising that such modern psychological illnesses had their origin - were created - contemporaneously]. The great and underapprecisted Russian economist Kondratiev [despatched forever by Stalin to the Gulags for daring to question the "performance targets" rationality of The Five-Year Plan] brilliantly demonstrated the insanity of such desire-replicant cycles as far back as the 1920s with his theory of the Long Waves or K-waves of international capitalist cycles, the invasion of Iraq, incidentally, being almost precisely the start of a new Long Wave [when interest rates were also at historically low levels], just as the invasion of Vietnam 40-plus years before was the start of the previous Wave [when interest rates were also tending toward zero]. Fascinating stuff ...

Guybrush said:
As you seem to think too, the consequences of a worldwide depression likely would be cataclysmic. I struggle to think of some historical example of when a worldwide depression did not lead to chaos and war—I cannot think of any.

Interesting. And isn't the relationship necessarily symbiotic, co-dependent, co-determinus with capitalism's inherent contradictions?

Old Goriot said:
As many warned, lack of sound currency has turned a country built on the protestant work ethic of work & save into a crass culture of borrow & spend, cheered on by its leaders... consumer confidence indexes and all that nonsense. No matter how they try to spin it, borrowing and spending cannot create wealth, only the temporary appearance of it - both on the large and small scale.

Well yes, this was the move beginning in the 1970s from Taylorist/Fordist production-based [labour-theory of value] capitalism to the hyper-real of monetarist Finance Capitalism [exchange-theory of value], the present model of economic hegemony [just look at how the U.S. plunged Japan into deep recession at the end of the 1980s, a recession from which it is still only recovering, thanks to the simple imposition of currency re-valuation and U.S.-style debt-finance capitalism. And soon it will attempt to do the same with China]. Notions of intrinsic "wealth creation" and hard work/thriftiness have nothing to do with it's viral replication, though it totally depends on those who still believe in such an unreconstructed "protestant work ethic" ["work hard and you will be successful" - the Forrest Gump ideology still uncritically subscribed to by the masses with the help of the mass media and Hollywood etc], the immoral and oppressive terms and conditions of ALL immigrant labour in the West ...

Tatarsky said:
This was laid out in the Mundell-Fleming model which declared "the impossible trinity" of fixed exchange rates, free capital flow and sovereign monetary policy. Something had to give, and it was fixed exchange rates and the gold standard.

Except that such an "impossible trinity" is also the present source of China's massive economic growth and expansion, and what the West - particularly the U.S. - is so unhappy about - hence the now-being-rehearsed 1980s-style Japan option of forced currency re-valuation, so prolonging the West's current bubble economy for another few decades or so ... Except that today's capitalist-militant China isn't yesterday's capitalist-obedient Japan, it has other ideas ...

vimothy

yurp
The [hidden] Other of the Big Other. So he probably also believes in that other, master - economic - narrative that magically unlocks and safeguards intrinsic "value" - the Gold Standard, too ...

Isn't the idea of intrinsic value inherently Marxist?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I haven't heard that idea before, but it would seem to compliment the idea (within capitalism) that demand creates value, which is then exacerbated by scarcity/lack of supply. If gold were as common as mud it'd be worth no more than mud...

vimothy

yurp
I haven't heard that idea before, but it would seem to compliment the idea (within capitalism) that demand creates value, which is then exacerbated by scarcity/lack of supply. If gold were as common as mud it'd be worth no more than mud...

I'm refering to the Marx's use of Labour Theory of Value which posits that goods "incarnate" labour value which the industrialist then rips off to create profit by paying the worker less than the value of his labour (obviously false if we perform a simple thought experiment involving robots...). Modern day capitalism goes for the Subjective Theory of Value, ie the value of a good is subjective and dependent on, well, all sorts of stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm refering to the Marx's use of Labour Theory of Value which posits that goods "incarnate" labour value which the industrialist then rips off to create profit by paying the worker less than the value of his labour (obviously false if we perform a simple thought experiment involving robots...). Modern day capitalism goes for the Subjective Theory of Value, ie the value of a good is subjective and dependent on, well, all sorts of stuff.

I'm not sure about the robot thing: even robots will need electricity, oil, maintainance etc. (quite apart from the cost of buying them in the first place), although this makes them more like slaves (which is what robot means, IIRC) who are given only what they need to survive on, rather than paid a wage like employees, even if this wage is less than the 'true' value of their labour, however you calculate that.

vimothy

yurp
I'm not sure about the robot thing: even robots will need electricity, oil, maintainance etc. (quite apart from the cost of buying them in the first place), although this makes them more like slaves (which is what robot means, IIRC) who are given only what they need to survive on, rather than paid a wage like employees, even if this wage is less than the 'true' value of their labour, however you calculate that.

Well, you're half right: according to LTV, the robots correspond to what's callled "constant capital". LTV looks like this:

c + L = W

"c" is constant capital (all raw materials, depreciation of tools and plant)
"L" is amount labour timeused to make product
"W" is the value of the product made

So robotically made products only use constant capital, hence according to the LTV (and Marx) it should be impossible to make a profit - there not being any workers to exploit. LTV is originally an old school classical economics idea coming from (I think) Ricardo, but is used heavily by Marx. Check the theory of marginal utility for something a bit more contemporary.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm. It seems to be a very specialised use of the word 'profit' to say you can only make one by exploiting workers. What if you work for yourself? In that case, any positive difference between the raw material cost and sale price (assuming you're making some tangible goods) is both your profit and your self-paid 'wage', surely?

vimothy

yurp
Hey, it's not my theory... :D but of course, it is very old (in terms of Economics as a subject). These were people who were groping around in the dark in many ways, looking at the formation of industrial capitalism but without any real macroeconomic data. Others have pointed out that Marx (to anyone who's not a troo believer) effectively proves only LTV's irrelevance.

It was Ricardo who first proposed the classical economic idea of intrinsic (labour) value - Ricardian essentialism - in contrast to the later neoclassicists like Bailey who claimed that value is structural, is relationally derived from commodity exchange, from the arbitrary supply-demand structure of the economy. Marx ultimately traversed - attempted to trancendentally (and mathematically, though unsuccessfully) reconcile - this paradox/contradiction, this parallax (antinomy).

Kojin Karatani's recent book on Marx's political economy, Transcritique, provides an excellent analysis of both the above and of Marx's specification of the “transcendental conditions” of a capitalist economy.

To quote from Steven Shaviro's review of Karatani's book:

Marx, in a certain sense, repeats the Kantian Antinomy between idealism and empiricism, by working through the parallax between Hegelian dialectics, on the one hand, and British empiricism and utilitarianism, on the other. But more specifically, Marx examines such an Antinomy within the tradition of British empirical political economy itself. On one side, there’s the political economy of Ricardo, grounded in the labor theory of value: Marx is commonly regarded as the great inheritor of this tradition. But on the other hand, there is the political economy of Samuel Bailey, who criticizes Ricardo (in 1825) on the grounds that there is no intrinsic substance of value, neither “labor time” nor anything else. Bailey argues instead that value is a purely relational (today we would say “structural”) phenomenon: it exists only as a marker of the way that commodities are related to other commodities for which they can be exchanged. Karatani suggests that Bailey is the forgotten precursor of the neoclassical economics that was developed in the later 19th century and still holds sway in “bourgeois economics” today. The neoclassicists, like Bailey, reject the labor theory of value, or any other theory of intrinsic value; they claim that values are only formed “on the margin,” in the process of sale and purchase, as affected by shifts in supply and demand. From the point of view of neoclassical economics, Marx is simply dismissed as irrelevant, on the grounds that he still holds to the essentialism of the labor theory of value. Of course, this serves as a perfect alibi for neoclassical economics to ignore all the issues that Marx brings up: questions of the ownership and distribution of capital, of exploitation, in short, of class. Instead, neoclassical economics only considers questions of “efficiency” and “utility”: it takes the politics out of “political economy,” and becomes just plain “economics” instead.

Karatani claims that Marx’s reading of Bailey shook him out of his previously unquestioned Ricardianism, in the same way that Kant’s reading of Hume shook him out of the “dogmatic slumber” of idealist rationalism. Karatani doesn’t give any evidence for this claim; nor could I discern any special importance given to Bailey when I took a cursory glance at Marx’s discussion of Bailey in Theories of Surplus Value. But whether or not Marx actually got important insights from Bailey, I do find Karatani’s overall account of Marx’s thought plausible and convincing. Some Marxist economists (such as Stephen Resnick and RIchard Wolff) have long argued that Marx rejects Ricardian essentialism. Karatani argues that Marx’s “critique of political economy” operates precisely in the Antinomy, or parallax, between the labor theory of value, on the one hand, and Bailey’s (and the neoclassical economists’) positivistic dismissal of value theory altogether on the other. Karatani notes, first, that even the theory of surplus value was not original to Marx; left-wing Ricardians had already developed it as an explanation for profit and exploitation, in much the same way that the leftist Young Hegelians, like Feuerbach, had already developed a theory of alienation, and a critique of religion, upon which the young Marx originally drew, but which he later rejected as inadequate. As for the other half of the antinomy, Karatani notes that “Bailey’s skepticism [regarding the labor theory of value] is similar to Hume’s criticism that there is nothing like a Cartesian ego cogito”. And just as Kant responds to Hume by saying that Hume is right, in the sense that the Cartesian ego does not substantively exist, but also that Hume is wrong, in that the unifying form of the ego must nonetheless be posited as a transcendental condition of apperception — so similarly, according to Karatani, Marx rejects Ricardian essentialism (the labor theory of value in its classical form), but also insists, against Bailey’s (and later, neoclassical) nominalism, that a “transcendental reflection on value” is necessary in order to make sense of capitalism as a system.

[ ... ]

In a parallel way to how the empty, transcendental form of the “I” keeps subjectivity together through time, so the transcendental category that Marx calls the “value-form” keeps the capitalist economy together, allowing it to replicate itself through time, impelling and indeed compelling it to expand through time. Marx is making a Kantian “transcendental” argument, when he posits the double value-form of the commodity (use-value and exchange-value) against both Ricardo’s essentialist (substantive) labor theory of value, and against the nominalist, positivist and ultimately neoclassical rejection of the very category of “value.”​