'erotic' cinema?

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you do a double-bill of Rinse Dream stuff I'll definitely come (no pun intended). Would like to see the Dr Caligari one although in the context of this thread it should be pointed out that that film is non-erotic I understand, "just" a weird, modern re-make of the film.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Good timing to see this thread rear its head cos I watched The Story of O yesterday. The one with Udo Kier. Not that it was amazingly erotic. As far as I can remember the book the film didn't really capture the feeling of it that well, burying its harsh directness under a soft focus lens - although come to think of it I found the book pretty boring so maybe that's no bad thing. The best thing about the film is sumptuousness of the sets, they really do feel as decadent as they need to be and the clothes and stuff are kinda cool - though not the tunics and tit-less dresses they wear in Roissy. The film is watchable enough and varied enough that it doesn't suffer from the repetition that spoiled the book but I wouldn't watch it with high hopes for arousal. Also, not sure about the overall message which seems to be that love and feminity can triumph through submission, a handy myth for a happily submissive sex but not one that was ever likely to hurry the advent of feminism.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
did anyone mention the wayward cloud? one of my favorites...

YES I DID! Posted it on the first page of this thread but see the YouTube video got removed or something. It was, together with Snakes of June, the first movie I had to think of. Hugely recommended, only thing I didn't like about it were the musical interludes but the end of the movie makes up for it. LOL.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"No mention of Realm of the Senses?
Or Blind Beast?
Or Belle de Jour?
those are the first that come to mind"
I always thought of In The Realm of the Senses (Ai No Corrida) as a (deliberately) anti-erotic film. It seems to me that it's a much more effective and relentless film of sexual obsession than, say, Shame but I'd never have called it erotic.
Blind Beast is sleaze alright, and then a kind of romance mingles in, I can see where you're coming from here.
Never seen Belle de Jour strangely enough.

stephenk

YES I DID! Posted it on the first page of this thread but see the YouTube video got removed or something. It was, together with Snakes of June, the first movie I had to think of. Hugely recommended, only thing I didn't like about it were the musical interludes but the end of the movie makes up for it. LOL.

oh yeah, the musical bits were a little hard to take, and the ending is fantastic, there's this sense of total exhaustion - i love how he lingers after the act is finished.