YouTube video finds

N

nomadologist

digging on the soundtrack to that Savage 72 clip. wtf is it?

maybe swears is right--the world is about to end and we're all gonna be fucked

N

nomadologist

Swears, things are actually moving faster now, I don't think things are inert. They're just different than you remember them back in your cozy, safe, warm childhood. Although I can see how it would be boring to be always sitting back waiting for everyone else to provide culture/art/entertainment for me instead of engaging with it and trying to push it in new directions.

Anyway, back to YOUTUBE. So here's a newish band that's based in my neighborhood that I quite like:

PS The idea that "retro" or throwbacking is new or "pomo" or that artists didn't use to borrow formally from other artists from the past or recent past is stupid. They just didn't call it "retro" because I guess they understood that formally that's how art works--i.e. within a context/tradition whose formal elements already exist before you get there to add to/borrow from/steal them and join the context/tradition.

Like, DUDE, Giotto painted half outside 3-point-perspective because even after he started understanding vanishing points, he only halfed used them, presumably becuz no one else did and all painting till then was out of 3D perspective so he had to pay tribute to the "masters." Samuel Beckett wrote a really rad book called Dream of Fair to Middling Women that was basically him doing his best Joyce (Ulysses era Joyce, complete with pervy masturbation/voyeurism interludes) impression. No one called them retro. Their works was called "paintings" or "books."

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
They're okay. Not really retro, maybe a little bit post punk, but not trying to ape that era. I expected some band that sounded like Jet or something when I clicked the link!

N

nomadologist

i like excepter as well nomadologist! sr has sent me some of their stuff.

yeah they're great live! i used to live in this illegal warehouse building a couple blocks from them-- they play free live shows around my neighborhood that are good. sometimes they get broken up by angry neighbors.

how about indian jewelry? they're a little dronier. saw them give one of the best live shows i've ever seen back before they were signed a few years ago and still called "niki texas." they were throwing cymbals into the audience, doing crazy dances, with a light show and videos projected everywhere. pretty intense.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
mmmmmmyummmy saffron

njoi - anthem
Man, it's really lame how she lip syncs along to the samples from Peanut Butter.

This is my fave of the ones you posted, the little bippy synth lines are fully garage too... or at least they remind me of a lot of later 2-step numbers.

Not sold on this video at all, but surprised there were vids made for all this old Cerrone stuff.

Cerrone - Give Me Love

The vid for Supernature is crazier:

Cerrone - Supernature

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
A lot of 90s handbag was fantastic. Why does most vocal house sound so grating now? That "Curse and Cure" tune for example, really awful.