so i've finally heard that digital mystiks remix of richie spice...

sadmanbarty

It’s funny the vocal distaste for dubstep.

Part of it is that dubstep fans are easy/enjoyable to wind up. They’re steeped in history, so attacking their thing in the most churlish and childish manner as possible is entertaining; it’s a sensibility they’re not very good at grappling with.

The other thing though is that dubstep is offensive. Lots of music night not be your cup of tea, but it doesn’t compel you to attack in the way dubstep does. Dubstep is by its nature an act of desecration; against both dub and the hardcore continuum. There’s an evil inherent to it that must be crushed and eradicated.

sadmanbarty

It was an homage to a dying era, a dying sensibility. A farewell to the world of Ace of bass and beats international.

luka

The shirtless blokes who'd appear in the middle of a Eurodance anthem to deliver a 'ragga' turn.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was well into that roots reggae for a long time. I loved Sizzla and all that.

But now it all sounds so horribly dated. Like people still making rock n roll. Cancelled.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I hope that isn't true - I need to go check my pulse.

Like this I used to love. And took it seriously. Does it just sound quaint now? Like a sea shantie or something?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Phew, still like it. That's a relief. Like when you lose a ball and then realise it's just hidden behind the other one.

sadmanbarty

All post-spent teng reggae is an abomination. Reactionary and pastiche.

One of the great tragedies of dancehall was sizzla and capleton turning away from dancehall to do all that. They took all those green sleeves rhythms at the turn of the millennium.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
In my physical mental and spiritual prime. 23 or 24 something like that.

I would wave my lighter in the air. Shout boooooo and all that. Drink dragon stout til I was sick. Stick my shaven head in the speaker and probably permanently damage my ear drums.

Drum n bass before that was if anything more exciting.

luka

All post-spent teng reggae is an abomination. Reactionary and pastiche.

One of the great tragedies of dancehall was sizzla and capleton turning away from dancehall to do all that. They took all those green sleeves rhythms at the turn of the millennium.

Can't endorse this opinion. Best thing in 1997 was that stuff for me. Cheered me right up.