London free papers

bassnation

the abyss
so you don't think it's hard being a recent arts graduate?
or is it worse to be doing a job like that if you are working class or a recent arts graduate?
what if you are both, is that really really bad?

its worse to have a mcjob if theres little prospect of easily escaping (at least to something substantially better). most jobs are just about tolerable if you can stop at any time. i think we both know that its easier to do that if you've had an expensive education and all the priveledges that background confers.

i am not accusing you of this, but i just don't think its acceptable to sneer at anyone. its important to give people some basic respect as human beings, no matter if they are sweeping the roads, serving in mcdonalds or handing out crap newspapers.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
its worse to have a mcjob if theres little prospect of escaping. most jobs are just about tolerable if you can stop at any time. i think we both know that its easier to do that if you've had an expensive education and all the priveledges that background confers. i don't know what life is like for an art graduate and find it difficult to put myself in their shoes - whereas i do know exactly what its like to be stuck in a shitty job, stuck in a council estate, etc - thats where i'm coming from.

i don't know a single person who can stop their job at any time and i don't know anyone who has had to pay a great deal for their education, i did and i'm still in debt in my 30's.
It's alot more complicated than that, going to university doesn't mean you are immediatley a privlidged middleclass snob who is taking a leisure break, most people go there to learn and improve their job circumstances.
there are more chances of a good education than ever before, you seem to be saying this isn't the case and you should privilidge people you think might be from a working class background in a bad job (even if they're rude) over someone who has gone to college and still can't find a good job (even if they're rude), which is tons more people. the question why that's the case is more interesting than implying that dissensus is full of snobs cos martin doesn't like rude people.

bassnation

the abyss
[
there are more chances of a good education than ever before, you seem to be saying this isn't the case and you should privilidge people you think might be from a working class background in a bad job (even if they're rude) over someone who has gone to college and still can't find a good job (even if they're rude), which is tons more people. the question why that's the case is more interesting than implying that dissensus is full of snobs cos martin doesn't like rude people.

there are more chances to get a good education but this country is far from a meritocracy and there are still vast swathes of the uk where poverty is endemic.

of course people can't simply walk out of their jobs - i'm mortgaged to the hilt and much as i hate working in IT, jacking it all in to do something interesting is not an option. this is entirely different to having your back against the wall, to be literally on the poverty line.

besides, reading back through the thread, martins definition of rudeness essentially boils down to them trying to give him a paper. doing the job they are paid to do. big deal. there are ruder people out there than that, surely?

anyway, in retrospect maybe i was being a bit ott and humourless. sorry marcus - feeling a bit pissed off and fed up today.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
[

there are more chances to get a good education but this country is far from a meritocracy and there are still vast swathes of the uk where poverty is endemic.

i don't think you are implying that its entirely peoples own fault. i wasn't really talking about university education anyway. the divergance in prospects between the classes come much earlier than that, in my opinion.

besides, reading back through the thread, martins definition of rudeness essentially boils down to them trying to give him a paper. essentially doing the job they are paid to do. big deal. there are ruder people out there than that, surely?

anyway, in retrospect maybe i was being a bit ott and humourless. sorry marcus - feeling a bit pissed off and fed up today.

i tihnk it was people thrusting the thing on you regardless of whether you want it or not.

yes i agree it's in no way a meritocracy and i agree with your initial point of the situation that breeds mcjobs, there are tons of reasons for that, which have added to the growth of needless beauracracy etc...

it does start earlier, even though more people are going to uni, more and more exams early on in life act to divide and mould people for jobs later on, which is a weird side effect.

don't worry i'm not pissed off with you or anything, anyway my first statement was said partially in jest.

D84

yes i agree it's in no way a meritocracy and i agree with your initial point of the situation that breeds mcjobs, there are tons of reasons for that, which have added to the growth of needless beauracracy etc...

it does start earlier, even though more people are going to uni, more and more exams early on in life act to divide and mould people for jobs later on, which is a weird side effect.

Well my high school teacher used to say that it's no longer about education so much - ie. gaining knowledge about the world, its history culture etc - so much as training people for work - eg. commerce, economics, etc - all of which is fine but that shouldn't be done in schools.

Oh yeah and we get one of these papers in Sydney too via the Murdoch group/empire. Also very lame and vacuous content.

martin

----
yeah, damn them for having the temerity to do their shitty working class jobs, eh?

and those fuckers who work in call centres - they just need a gobful of artfully-worded abuse to remind them of their place in this world.

why don't you take out your ire on the people actually responsible for the situation instead of the poor bastards trying to scrape a living?

I consider it infinitely more patronising for you to assume that people doing 'shitty working class jobs' can be excused bad manners - eh, you can't expect any better of 'em, I suppose, the great unwashed an' all. There happen to be plenty of people in shitty working class jobs who have to suffer a free paper in the face FROM these London Lite cunts, and I'll take their side over that of RADA students making a few bob anyday.

Assuming that this outburst is more the product of a bad mood than any serious attempt to portray me as some mini-Hitler, rest assured that I won't tolerate pig-fucken-ignorant bad manners off anyone, be they supermodels, captains of industry, punk rockers, labourers, taxi drivers, media whores or my ex. Unless of course they pull a gun, in which case I'd simply run away. London Lite's tactics are blatantly offensive and intrusive, and it's only a matter of time til one gets smacked - same as those SWP vultures who used to flock round the sorting office in Battersea at 6am, screeching at people who'd just come out after nightshifts and demanding 40p for their unreadable cobblers.

rapidity

Is it me or did these papers get launched almost simultaneously, where once the Metro held the sole position of being the cheapskates only mode of finding out some major news, now there are 3 papers vying for the title. Interestingly, both London Lite and London Paper have embraced the Bus as a target for distribution. With the Metro, its distribution was by the Underground stations and only people who'd get the tube would ever read the Metro, and when it came out no-one used to take it home, after the rush houe the tube would be trashed with "used" papers. Nowadays its all about London Lite/London Paper, every bus get trashed with these papers. Its interesting because it suggests that Londoners are abandoning an overpriced tube network in favour of a still overpriced (but cheaper and fairly decent) bus service.
~With regards to content, yes its pretty atrocious, Metro at least had some standards even if it was just regurgitated tory mail, but at least this influx of purple people is creating jobs, even if it is wasting paper. And far from being "art fags or RADA students, the people handing out the papers, every time ive seen them, are Eastern Europeans, and African immigrants, but i too share concerns as to how long the papers can afford this massive distribution force.

sufi

lala
metr0.jpg

The Metro has obtained a High Court injunction against "all persons responsible for the publication and/or distribution" of a Metro spoof paper that was distributed by campaigners at London tube stations on Friday morning. But since the spoof was produced and distributed anonymously, the injunction seems to have been served upon the wrong people, in what appears to be a guilty-by-association verdict.

The spoof paper, which has also been circulated on the web, has a similar masthead and layout to the free daily, with a zero instead of the O. The owners of Metro, Associated Newspapers Limited, claim this is an infringement of the company's trademark copyrights, while campaigners argue the company directors "do not have a sense of humour" and have "gone too far in suppressing free speech to protect their commercial interests."

Under the headline "Gordon Brown to be deported to Scotland," the front frontpage story claimed the former prime minister was facing imminent removal back to his "home country," as the new coalition government introduced new immigration rules that imposed further restrictions on "non-English nationals." Alongside the article, a manipulated picture showed Gordon Brown being arrested by two policemen at a beer festival in Cambridge.

Tens of thousands of copies of the spoof paper were distributed by 50 or so people wearing white T-shirts bearing the Metro logo during rush hour at 20 busy stations around the capital. The 'spoofing operation' was apparently part of 'two days of action against racist press', called by a coalition of anti-racist and migrant rights groups under the name Press Action. A blog bearing the same name had been set up about a month before, with the aim of "exposing and taking action against racist and anti-migrant bias in mainstream media." [1]

The callout for the days of action, circulated around various campaign websites and mailing lists, had called upon "all concerned groups and individuals to stand up to counter fear with action on the 2nd and 3rd July" and "put the racist press in the spotlight" by taking "autonomous, decentralised actions and protests against racist press across the UK." [2]

Represented by Bird & Bird LLP, Associated Newspapers sought a High Court injunction until 10:30am on Monday, ordering the respondents to "not publish or distribute in any way (including by way of the Internet) any publication which purports to be 'Metro' or any other publication of the applicant." The legal action seems to have stemmed from an assumption that the spoof might be distributed again on Saturday, which turned out to be unfounded speculation and a waste of judges' time.

A copy of the injunction order was subsequently sent by Katharine Stephens of Bird & Bird to the people running the Press Action blog [3], presuming they were behind the spoof. A statement by Press Action, however, said they "had nothing to do with the publication and distribution of the spoof" and had merely received an electronic copy from the anonymous spoofers, along with a press release [4], which they then circulated and posted on their blog.

The blog has since taken the spoof down but it can be accessed on numerous other activists and websites. A statement by Press Action maintained that, "despite not being the respondents, we have complied with the court order as a gesture of goodwill."

Metro's official website had also been spoofed as part of the spoofing operation, with a similar layout but with the spoof paper's content instead, and a web link (URL) substituting the O with zero (www.metr0.co.uk).

It is understood that Associated Newspapers has also contacted the US-based company that apparently hosts the spoof site, asking that they take it down, which they have refused to do, according to the injunction hearing records.

A Whois check on the spoof website [5] shows that it registered under the name 'Press Action' and an address in Whitechapel, London, that belongs to a social centre known as the London Action Resource Centre.

LARC describes itself as a "collectively run building providing space and resources for different activist groups" and is, indeed, used by many people who do not necessarily know each other or know what the others might be doing.

A spokesperson for Press Action said: "It is very likely that whoever did the spoof was inspired by our callout and wanted to use our name and register the domain with a common address, such as LARC's, to protect their anonymity. To argue that LARC is "clearly involved with the two days of action," as the Metro solicitors did in court, is just a desperate search for a scapegoat that is guilty by association."

Asked by the judge what damage the spoof had caused their client, the Associated Newspapers solicitors argued that the Metro "avowedly doesn't take a political stance. The damage to the brand and goodwill [of the paper's owners] is unquantifiable. The people behind the spoof are avowedly political. They are piggybacking on the goodwill built up in the brand since 1999 to espouse their own political cause."

Unconvinced by this argument, and repeatedly expressing his concern that "this is a case of make haste and repent at leisure," the judge asks, "Are you seriously suggesting that your clients will suffer damage [as a result of the spoof]?" to which the solicitor replies, "It is an intangible damage to my client's goodwill, that is, it effects what people will think about its product."

Notes:

[1] The blog is at http://pressaction.wordpress.com

[2] The callout can be found at http://pressaction.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/two-days-of-action/

[3] A copy of the injunction order, along with the proceedings and the applicant's notes submitted to the judge, are attached herewith.

[4] The Metr0 press release can be found at http://london.indymedia.org.uk/articles/5099

[5] http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois/?tool_id=66&token=&toolhandler_redirect=0&ip=http://metr0.co.uk