rubberdingyrapids

i found that with analord. i get how so many people keep talking about the production being amazing and the layers and how they might never really be able to hear it all cos its so complex, but yeah, i think hes at that stage of craftsmanship over emotional resonance.

you

the more i listen to syro the more conventional and 'safe' it sounds.

minipops is just windowlicker 2.0
xmas eve sounds like daft punk
aisatana is just like avril 14th

nowt new on the record in my opinion apart from the emphasis on funk (that loads of the warp guys have explored years ago)

version

Radio 4 thing with a bunch of friends, associates and fans - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b88k6l

This bit in the write-up is intriguing:

While a lot of time has been spent talking about how groundbreaking his music has been over the years, less thought has been devoted to discussing how he is also a conduit to the pre-Christian culture of the Cornish past, not just through the song names he chooses or the natural textures of plant and mineral that his music evokes, but also because he is a product of the Cornish myth-making tradition himself and part of a proud heritage that includes mermaids, giants, piskies and pobel vean.

luka

it's typical of craner to conflate a spiritual pathway and deeply sincerely held belliefs, true creativity, crafsmanship, passion, pain and art with mental illness. before you judge maybe you should take time to discover yourself. There is a world within waiting to welcome you.

thanks 4 reminding me of this beautiful post by me

droid

Have a bit of Aphex on old radio shows, but nope. I have been working on an epic 90s electronica mix which features a shit ton of Aphex. Hope to finish it before the apocalypse.

Surgeon is the only DJ Ive known to play Aphex effectively. Theres a few mixes of his out there with a bunch of his tunes on.

droid

A mate of mine was chatting to him backstage at a festival a few years back and he was saying he edits his AE & AFX tunes in advance - layering extra kicks and looping various sections - so they work better on the dancefloor.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite enjoyed the Aphex documentary, as all over the place as it was. I was interested by Doran's speculations re: Aphex as Cornish myth-spinner.

Most of all it made me want to listen to some Aphex - all those spellbinding snippets.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
what are your top 10 aphexes?

mine are all the obvious ones

Xtal
Vordhosbn
#19 (Stone in Focus)
Tha
Schottkey 7th Path
Flim
Windowlicker
Alberto Balsalm
#3 (rhubarb)
On

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
listening to 'i care because u do' at work

one of the things aphex likes which i like too are the spacey chords that you get in detroit techno/ardkore/jungle

in ardkore i particularly love these when they are major 7th chords and induce a sense of sentimental euphoria

but in aphex they are minor chords or minor tinged chords and they evoke deep caves and distant constellations (probably due to being drowned in reverb)

droid

Alberto balsam
Heliosphan
Ageispolis
Pancake Lizard
Stone in Focus
Blue Calyx
Rhubarb
Analogue Bubblebath 3
Curve Remix
St Etienne Remix
Jesus Jones Remix (2)
Cliffs
I Chink 101
Vordhosbn
Xylem Tube
The Waxen Pith
Come on you Slags
Nanoou
Flim
Xtal

Quino-Phec

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quino-Phec has that quality that Tha has of

spaciousness
dimness
serenity
distance
mystery

Like a womb, or a paradise - unearthlyness / soft-edges

the beat crunching and puffing like a distant steam train

droid

Tha is much more driving though. Quino-Phec is a dream walk barefoot on an infinite lawn under a moonlit sky.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
With tha I don't "see" a rural landscape, the footstep sounds makes me think of a sort of white marble environment, a huge dome, maybe, hushed voices

As with Enos on land, aphexs ambient stuff is a brilliant overlay for urban and rural environments, for drug trips and comedowns

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The first post in this thread -

How CGI from the 90s looks shit now, but at the time looked amazing

I like to think about the crowds in the 90s who'd never heard a Reese baseline before or an Amen chopped up at that speed and how (if it was at all) weird and thrilling it was, like striking gold, like the first MDMA high of your life