Stalked!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It's not 'men' though is it? It's cultural. I think it would be very wrong to imply that male humans are inherently inclined to be creeps or rapists. It would be better to think about why this happens.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
what debate?

over your continued assertions that men are (to paraphrase) obsessed by sex, that girls never behave in a sexually threatening way, that there is a rape epidemic etc.

there are a number of points of interest (to say the least) that you have touched upon (e.g. the role of the police in rape cases, why men use sex as a tool of power etc etc. but you make it difficult to discuss them. and this is a stalking thread.

N

nomadologist

what? i never said men were obsessed by sex. i never said that women never behave in a sexually threatening way. and there are FAR TOO MANY RAPES and molestations in the world--i don't think the word "epidemic" is too far from the truth.

what i said was "men are creeps" after i described some seriously creepy things men have done to me. if you want to take that too literally and make it some sort of "generalization" or be some weird misguided self-appointed PC police officer, go ahead. it doesn't mean that the vast preponderance of rapists aren't men, and the vast preponderance of victims of sexual abuse/assault aren't women.YOU extrapolated things i never said from one statement that was obvious hyperbole.

N

nomadologist

stalking is very often linked with rape and sexual violence, ask a clinical psychologist.

martin

----
There's no de facto link between stalking and rape, some stalkers just want excessive amounts of time and attention.

N

nomadologist

It's not 'men' though is it? It's cultural. I think it would be very wrong to imply that male humans are inherently inclined to be creeps or rapists. It would be better to think about why this happens.

i have thought about it, and i do. i never said anything about "inherent" anything.

noel emits

what i said was "men are creeps" after i described some seriously creepy things men have done to me. if you want to take that too literally and make it some sort of "generalization" or be some weird misguided self-appointed PC police officer, go ahead.

women are illogical.

;)

N

nomadologist

There's no de facto link between stalking and rape, some stalkers just want excessive amounts of time and attention.

many, many rapes/murders occur after periods of prolonged stalking. who said "de facto" anyway?

N

nomadologist

women are illogical.

;)

maybe some are. so are some men. do women rape and murder people, though?

there are certainly some men (as evidenced here) who don't understand the difference between someone expressing disgust based on their own experiences through hyperbole and someone making a statement of fact

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Really? That surprises me, I know that I've had benign cases but I can easily see how that stuff can go way too far, obsession is wonderful when directed well but when mis-directed, oh boy.

I happen to agree with the 'all men are cunts' thing but I read far too much Dworkin, Daly and Spender at a very early age and it...

N

nomadologist

alienate? if you're really that offended by a woman who's been repeatedly abused and harassed and stalked expressing disgust for the overwhelming amounts of creepy men she's encountered, then i don't know what to tell you

noel emits

there are certainly some men (as evidenced here) who don't understand the difference between someone expressing disgust based on their own experiences through hyperbole and someone making a statement of fact

Well how about we take some of your expressions of disgust and place them in an analogous race-based context rather than gender? How would that read?

This is all a bit OT, sorry martin.

N

nomadologist

ummm, that wouldn't have anything to do with what i'm saying.

noel emits

alienate? if you're really that offended by a woman who's been repeatedly abused and harassed and stalked expressing disgust for the overwhelming amounts of creepy men she's encountered, then i don't know what to tell you

It really disgusts me when I hear the misogyny that some of my male friends come out with occasionally - even though I know this is based on bitter experience too. It's fekkin poisonous.

elgato

I just dont know

i can see where you're coming from, but try to imagine the emotional response that would be evoked if someone wrote in a thread about how he knew loads of girls who had cheated, and ended his post with "girls are sluts". obviously it was a generalisation, but its hard not to take it as an insult to some degree

N

nomadologist

some? occasionally? i've lived with disgusting displays of it my entire life, almost at every turn. what am i supposed to think when my experience keeps telling me the same thing?

of course, i don't think all men would rape women. my boyfriend wouldn't. but if i don't know a guy, i certainly wouldn't feel comfortable assuming he wouldn't/couldn't be a rapist/abuser/misogynist, since in my experience so many men are.

this is why i try to stick with gay people, mistersloane. i love being a hag because these things just don't come up...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i can see where you're coming from, but try to imagine the emotional response that would be evoked if someone wrote in a thread about how he knew loads of girls who had cheated, and ended his post with "girls are sluts". obviously it was a generalisation, but its hard not to take it as an insult to some degree

Yeah, but when you look at the statistics and facts, it's very very hard not to come out with a massive gender based simple statement, it used to make be disgusted with being male until I divorced myself from the human race entirely.