Moscow

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Going to be in Moscow later this week - have little idea of where to go club/barwise, given that so many places appear to have strict/random door policies. Anyone have any knowledge to drop on this subject? Thanks in advance...:)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry, just bumping this up to appear on the fron tpage, since my own contributions to the Berlin thread took it off there :slanted:

borderpolice

Moscow is full of cool places. Hard to find if you are a tourist, especially if you dont read cyrillic. try and befriend some muskovite artists. they'll sort you out!

leamas

Moscow clubbing divides into three categories really, firstly you have the posh clubs where faux mafiosi and 'models' hang out. They're often the places where the western DJs play, or were 5 yrs ago when i was there, and some of them are quite fun just out of sheer opulence. I think we went to a place called Zeppelin. Then there's a few cool artistic hang outs which are much more fun. Thursday nights at Propaganda always used to be good for deep house, and the crowd is a mix of students, artists and generally up-for-it types. I thiink that Gerzen might also still be running. There's also a warehouse party scene in the suburbs, but this can be hit and miss. We turned up one night to see Sven Vath, but realised soon after entry that he had been replaced by Mark Luvdup :eek:

One thing I highly reccomend you do, though it's a tad bit expensive, is go to a place called Djusto. You'll find it in whichever guide book you have I should imagine, it's near metro Tretyakovskaya. It's a (yes really expensive) sushi bar with the most ridiculous high tech interior and an incredible resident DJ called Andrei Panin, who is Moscow's champion of 'Synthie-Pop'. When I was there he was getting MIss Kittin over (this is in 2000-2001) regularly to play to 50 people. His favourite band is St Etienne if you need a conversation starter, he's a great guy (if he still works there...). He also pointed us towards one of the best second hand record stores i have ever encountered in my life (we're talking seriously rare electronic music, wierd eastern block disco, picturediscs...) but you'll have to search him out to find out where it was.

Other than going out, 5 things I HIGHLY reccomend:

1. Go to the Sanduni baths. They're a proper Russian baths with incredible neo-classical interior. It's a properly 19th century Russian experience, of which not much remains.

2. On a similar 19th c tip, a good resturant to get proper Russian food done well is Dyadya Vanya (Uncle Vanya). It's in the centre, you'll find it in the guidebooks aswell.

3. If you're into your cultcha, the cathedral of christ the saviour is well worth a look since it has been restored.

4. If you have a spare couple of days take the overnight train to Petersburg and go to the Hermitage. The train is worth the journey alone.

5. Eat lots of pirojki (litte pies). They're great.

Things I would avoid:

1. The Tretyakov gallery - not that remarkable, spend your time doing other things I reckon.

2. The craft/'antiques' flea market in the suburbs.

3. Antagonizing the police, especially when drunk.

4. Any taxi with a meter - just use the 'stick your arm out and get in the first car that stops' technique. All the meter taxis (there are only a couple) are rigged and will cost you an arm and a leg.

PM me if you need any other specific advice, enjoy yourself.

borderpolice

I recommend to learn the cyrillic alphabet before you go. it's really easy to do and makes life a hell of a lot easier there.

leamas

Going to be in Moscow later this week - have little idea of where to go club/barwise, given that so many places appear to have strict/random door policies. Anyone have any knowledge to drop on this subject? Thanks in advance...:)

... and in response to the question re strict door policies... they call it 'face control' :)

to be honest, if you want to go to places which have a door policy just look smart-ish and march up like you mean business. it's, sadly, more to discourage the less wealthy of the locals than anything else.