Stretch Armstrong show question?

STN

sou'wester
Anyone remember those tapes you used to get at Mr Bongos of the Stretch Armstrong show with Bobbito Garcia on WKCR? It was loads of people (by which I mean rappers - it wasn't some sort of ill-advised phone-in show) doing freestyles. I think I had most of them in the late 90s but being as they were cassettes they've fallen by the wayside - anyone know if they're available online/on CD? I seem to recall they were pretty wicked and I'd love to give them all another spin.

adruu

This Is It
funny, stretch just started a blog recently at
konstantkontakt.blogspot.com/index.html

he puts old tapes and radio rips up there...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Stretch & Bobbito recordings that Big L did in 93 and 95 (?) are AWESOME. I'd be hard-pressed to name any better hip hop recordings that I know. Who else did they catch at the top of their game?

STN

sou'wester
Cheers for all this, those are indeed the CDs.

My mind's gone blank as to other ace performances on those tapes but there's one where the rapper has clearly lost confidence and starts crooning in this silly voice, before his confidence comes back and he suddenly launches into an extraordinary rap. It's wicked.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Anyone ever check any of this stuff? The freestyle comps are well known, but the full shows are magic. All the banter in between the music. There's one with Kool Keith I used to listen to whenever I was feeling down. Exactly what you'd expect from him. Have about 40 separate shows from 92 to 98. There's something about listening to radio from the past, especially when there's a bunch of talking that transports you right there. NYC in the 90s must have been something.