male pale and stale
Any recommendations?

I currently have an account with p4host which includes:

300megs disc space
12,000 meg bandwidth
999 mysql databases
2 domains
email stuff

I pay about 12 US dollars a quarter for it, which is pretty cheap, but their support isn't always great and I will need more disc space soon...

nomos

Administrator
I can almost wholly recommend Dreamhost. Stupidly big storage and bandwidth, unlimited domains, one-click installs, etc. Almost always very transparent and excellent. There was a period last summer though, when they were doing upgrades and there were problems with little recognition from support. There's no phone support and support requests go through the web panel. So if you're having problems with your web panel then it's difficult. But I've generally been pleased.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
You may recall Dreamhost seem to come out top in the spreadsheet I sent you.

I've had recommendations for them from more than one person, though they did definitely have some problems a while back, as Paul has experienced.

I know I'm tempted.

Oh that's much more than i need.....

Personally I have a small website (about 3Mb) and I want to be able to receive emails at my domain-based email address with attachments.

At the moment if someone sends me an MP3 or something all my email stops working for 2 days, it's totally shit. I don't even get a warning and the sender doesn't get it bounced back, my email just disappears.
Sorry for the moan but good to get it off my chest.
Can anyone recommend some good reliable cheap basic hosting?

ta

john eden

male pale and stale
yeah that looks wicked. does anyone know how much of an arse it is to transfer several mysql databases over to a new server?

I currently have:
1 blog
1 photo album
1 shop
1 discussion board
and some other stuff I can't remember going on.

nomos

Administrator
it can be easy - e.g. backup your wordpress one and swap it into the new one - or impossible, as in the case of my old host exporting corrupt phpbb DBs which forced me to trash my old forum.

nomos

Administrator
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Migrate_MySQL

(btw, if you both switch to DH perhaps one could do me a favour and list me as the referrer, and for the second one of you could refer the other? you can get credit $ towards hosting that way.)

http://laughingsquid.com/ are also excellent. a very decent company with real humans answering support calls on one ring. more expensive for less but dependable. they host a lot of artists + boingboing.net. they offer a "starving artist" rate if you put their banner on your index page.

@ Edward - you might like the Tiny Squid package (http://laughingsquid.net/hosting/#tiny)

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
christ. :confused:

that looks well mad. This is presumably a dumb question, but why can't I just ftp it up there?

yeah i thought that was a reasonable question too when i had to do it. near as i can tell, ftp and mysql operate in two separate but parallel dimensions. something like wordpress acts like a wormhole between them.

anyway, it can be easy. phpbb and wordpress (with this plugin http://ilfilosofo.com/blog/wp-db-backup) can back up their databases from the software's control panel onto your hard drive. and then dreamhost (and probably others) has a "restore db" button where you just select the backed up db on your hard drive and it gets put into place. so, in that case, there should be no need to go into mysql (except maybe to enter the new host's path, can't remember).

Last edited:

Woebot

Any recommendations?

I currently have an account with p4host which includes:

300megs disc space
12,000 meg bandwidth
999 mysql databases
2 domains
email stuff

I pay about 12 US dollars a quarter for it, which is pretty cheap, but their support isn't always great and I will need more disc space soon...

A Small Orange kick ass. They do all my sites now. Fantastic. Couldn't reccommend them highly enough.

blubeat

blubeat
I'm going to look at Dreamhost but Plugsocket.co.uk I can recommend based on several years of hosting. UK based support and they are very reactive.

At the moment if someone sends me an MP3 or something all my email stops working for 2 days, it's totally shit.

<snip>

Can anyone recommend some good reliable cheap basic hosting?
ta

You might like to look at Fastmail.fm - with them you can host your website using your file storage allowance. You can get them to host your MX record as well. Really I couldn't live without everything Fastmail gives me for managing email, files and microsites.

dHarry

is it better/cheaper to register a .com or whatever domain with a different company to the hosting company (guessing that the hosting co. would register the domain and add on an extra charge to you, and if you weren't careful might claim ownership of it?)?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I've always tried to keep them seperate - if your hosting company goes tits up or if you have a dispute with them you can always move your site somewhere else.

dHarry

of course, that makes total sense! - any recommendations for cheaper/better registration companies?