Where should I eat in London?

zhao

there are no accidents
went to a Uyghur place in South London called Silk Road and it was HAMMER! can imagine the Great Khan and his Mongol hordes chowing down on things like the big plate of boiled lamb we ordered, after decimating a city, beheading every citizen, and wiping the grease from their chins with sleeves... affordable as well.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
went to a Uyghur place in South London called Silk Road and it was HAMMER! can imagine the Great Khan and his Mongol hordes chowing down on things like the big plate of boiled lamb we ordered, after decimating a city, beheading every citizen, and wiping the grease from their chins with sleeves... affordable as well.

Silk Road is really nice. I even tried tripe there, cos I thought, well, if anyone can make tripe nice, it's these guys. Skewers. Of bbq tripe.
It was disgusting.

zhao

there are no accidents
Silk Road is really nice. I even tried tripe there, cos I thought, well, if anyone can make tripe nice, it's these guys. Skewers. Of bbq tripe.
It was disgusting.

We ordered that skewared tripe as well, and no, it wasn't so good.
The way to go with tripe is in real Vietnamese Pho. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

Last edited:

Leo

was in london last week spent an afternoon snacking along the stalls of maltby street market. not always cheap and probably uncool at this point but we had a good time, lots of food variety and microbrews.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
silk road is great. tripe...less so.

I went to Ottolenghi recently. Not impressed. Great cookbooks, immaculate presentation, mediocre food. Seemed like the kind of place that probably was good when Ottolenghi was cooking there himself, but that went downhill when he fucked off and put his minions in charge. Complete mismatch between his excellent recipes and the stuff I got served (for an absurd price). One dish was good, to be fair. But why be fair.

zhao

there are no accidents
Not even pho can make tripe delicious. And I like a bit of innard now and again.

tripe is not innards. and you are judging by pho gotten from where?

in the few quality pho places in Los Angeles, or the many in the vietnamese part close to Orange County, tripe is maybe the most popular choice among pretty much everyone, white, black, or asian.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went to Ottolenghi recently. Not impressed. Great cookbooks, immaculate presentation, mediocre food. Seemed like the kind of place that probably was good when Ottolenghi was cooking there himself, but that went downhill when he fucked off and put his minions in charge. Complete mismatch between his excellent recipes and the stuff I got served (for an absurd price). One dish was good, to be fair. But why be fair.

I went there a year or so ago with some friends who have expensive tastes. The food was quite good, or at least I guess I enjoyed it more than you did by the sound of it, but in the end not *that* good that it justified the bill, I think.

Zhao, tripe is stomach lining - I think that falls under most people's definition of 'innards'.

luka

I'm not sure ottolenghus ever cooked. It's sami who is the chef. Ottolenghi does branding promotional stuff and recipes development

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I went there a year or so ago with some friends who have expensive tastes. The food was quite good, or at least I guess I enjoyed it more than you did by the sound of it, but in the end not *that* good that it justified the bill, I think.

Zhao, tripe is stomach lining - I think that falls under most people's definition of 'innards'.

It's all to do with expectations, I s'pose - I could certainly describe it as quite good too, but having been wowed by some of Ottolenghi's recipes, then I was expecting so much more. So many better, cheaper restaurants. The tomato salad was great, but that was due to the sourcing of the tomatoes rather than the cooking - there were huge boxes all over the place bearing the name of the company that provides their veg, but foolishly I forgot to write it down. Was probably sulking too much.

Luka - now you say that, that rings a bell. It just had that air of a restaurant coasting off a famous name

zhao

there are no accidents
oh my god i thought tripe was tendon. Good reminder that even after all these years English is still my second language...

That's why the tendon at Silk Road wasn't so good... because it was tripe lol

Tendon%20Pho.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Funny how there's no Indonesian food in London.

It's all over Holland, the way curry places are in the UK. Ate some good Indonesian while I was there. On one occasion my girlfriend looked at me in horror after I asked a waitress for ketjap - she thought I meant the red stuff from Heinz. Mild mockery ensued.

luka

its very approachable food. there is no one in the world who doesnt enjoy fried rice. why can't london have some? i need to know the answer.

Waitrose do a slow-cook rendang sauce now that is passable. My sister-in-law is from Sumatra, I'll ask her where's good in London that isn't the Indonesian Embassy - they hold regular parties for ex-pats there and lay on a banquet every year.