Where should I eat in London?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Good point well made.

Although they do have a place at home, where making proper chips isn't always feasible. But the ones you get out are seldom even particularly good potato wedges...

viktorvaughn

Yeah fair point.They can be good.

I've taken to 90% boiling potatoes then cutting into largish cubes and frying with oil, salt, rosemary and making salads with the fried potato, loads of shredded lettuce, cannelloni beans, cooked green beans, mange tout, etc with a mustard dressing, well nice.:cool:

Bangpuss

Help, I need somewhere decent around Soho/central London for tomorrow night (Saturday) to take my parents. The only thing I can think of at the moment is Mark Hix but that's a bit too expensive. Somewhere like that but not quite as toppy would be perfect... Cheers!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Help, I need somewhere decent around Soho/central London for tomorrow night (Saturday) to take my parents. The only thing I can think of at the moment is Mark Hix but that's a bit too expensive. Somewhere like that but not quite as toppy would be perfect... Cheers!

Andrew Edmunds is usually a good bet, can be patchy sometimes though

http://www.andrewedmunds.com/sample-menu.html

Hix is cheap set menu before 6.30 which seems good.

Bangpuss

Yeah my friend really rates Edmund's, but also says it's patchy. I really enjoyed the Hix Oyster and Chophouse in Farringdon. I'd probably go for that, the only thing being the set menu on the website only shows two options. Are there more on the set menu or is it cheap for that reason?

mistersloane

I've not been to Hix sorry bang, it looks like it's just the two options. I keep walking past and thinking it's a good bet.

I most want to go to Lobster and Burger at the moment, but I don't think it's quite a take-the-parents place, dunno though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Can Britain please get over its collective hard-on for potato wedges? Are they meant to be "chips for grown-ups" or something? They have their place but let's face it, they're not a patch on proper, ordinary chips. (Or, if you're having steak, really good, thin, proper French fries.)"
Went to this pub on Sunday in Bethnal Green (I've been there a few times, it's nice; pool table, football, friendly etc but I can never remember the name) and they put out a few bowls of roast potatoes on the sides. They were really good, maybe they were roast and then fried or something, very salty. I remember thinking "These are better than chips, why don't I eat these more often" - hard not to eat too many and look like a greedy bastard, especially as I was just about to drink up and leave.

mistersloane

Hakkasan Hanway Place was really really nice. Could go up to stupid prices (350 quid for one dish) and I know it's on the wane and not fashionable and whatever but the food was fucking great.

The woman on my next table was one of the rudest I've ever encountered though. Shocking.

mistersloane

"Could I get some lo-sodium soy sauce on the side"

"I'm afraid we don't do that madam"

"I had it last time I was here"

"I'm afraid we don't do that, madam"

"Well, I had it last time. And don't tell me what I did or didn't have"

Shocking. They probably just gave her normal soy sauce last time and told her it was lo-sodium to shut her up.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
All this talk of fries/chips reminds me of something I've been meaning to get off my chest for some time:

Potato wedges.

Can Britain please get over its collective hard-on for potato wedges? Are they meant to be "chips for grown-ups" or something? They have their place but let's face it, they're not a patch on proper, ordinary chips. (Or, if you're having steak, really good, thin, proper French fries.)

homemade wedges are much easier to make though

Leo

homemade wedges are much easier to make though

always do these at home for our version of fish and chips, as my wife doesn't do deep frying at home. pretty easy to roast them, although sometimes they can turn out soggy from too much oil (but you need some oil on the roasting tray so they don't stick).

i'm suddenly hungry.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Went to Dishoom in Seven Dials today. It was good. Chi-chi uptown Indian rather than homestyle zone 3 Indian, but very well done. The bhel puri could mix it with the best of them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Over the last couple of years most of the meals out I've had have been in Oxford rather than London, so this observation might not apply so much to the capital, but anyway: I'd say the majority of really good restaurant meals I've eaten lately have been in pubs, rather than restaurants per se. In fact so many pubs offer great food these days that the 'gastropub' seems to be rapidly becoming redundant as a concept. Even the word has a distinctly 2002 ring to it.

Thoughts?

viktorvaughn

Does anyone have any recommendations for American style BBQ in London? I've been looking at this article and salivating. Can anyone vouch for the recommendations?
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/...o-get-americanstyle-ribs-and-bbq-7737595.html

I've had stuff from Pitt Cue truck which was pretty gorgeous but I think turning up to their place will involve a long wait which could be annoying.

Dukes in Haggerston is nice and you can book - also it's a big beer place with few dozen options, towards the American craft beer side. Beavertown is their sister brewery, now based in Hackney Wick but previously downstairs from Duke's, their 8 ball rye IPA is lovely!

I've read very mixed reviews of Red Dog.