Aaaargh, Make It Stop!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Will people *please* just let the poor cow rest in the ground for five fucking minutes at a stretch?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6657461.stm

I have to say this on-going non-story is probably the most boring thing to consistently crop up in the (British) news over the past decade. It's bad enough to have to see her grinning at me from the front page of the Express in the college shop every other sodding day without being subjected to it on the BBC News website as well. That particular pissrag ran the 'headline' a while ago that "Diana would have lived if she'd worn a seatbelt, say crash experts". Well fuck me, they really got some super-duper forensic accident investigators in to tell them that, didn't they?

Sorry for the rant, I just find the whole thing infuriatingly boring. Can't be much fun for her kids and family, either. To open the discussion slightly, what other non-stories piss you off by consistently making the 'news'?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
While I agree on a personal level, I can see why some people (OK, many people) are interested in it. Moreso the actual playing-games-and-competing-in-tournaments aspect than the soap opera of players' lives, of course.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
all the speculation, naming of suspects and slagging of portugese law currently all over the place.

from the news last night:

"she could have been taken to any number of countries near by"

er, spain then

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
from the news last night:

"she could have been taken to any number of countries near by"

er, spain then

Well, Tunisia and Morocco aren't too far away, are they?

One thing I'm surprised no-one's commented on is that you'd have thought parents would have learnt by now not to dress their pre-teen daughters in football shirts...

The thing about the 'PC gone mad' stories is that they usually have a grain of truth in them (even if it is inevitably blown out of all proportion by the tabloid press).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
The thing about the 'PC gone mad' stories is that they usually have a grain of truth in them (even if it is inevitably blown out of all proportion by the tabloid press).

no they don't!

on occassion over zealous/ sensitive middle class types make the odd idiotic suggestion, but there's a whole lot more noise than actual policy decisions

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's what I meant - some idiot teacher says something like "we should grade exams by colours instead of letters so as not to upset kids who get an F", it's roundly decried as a stupid suggestion and goes no further - except someone writing in The Sun picks up on it and suddenly it's "about to become policy" in "Blair's loony Britain(!!!)".

matt b

Indexing all opinion
normally its 'someone in a school somewhere has banned walking so the disabled children don't feel leftout'- rarely is there any mention of specifics.

in nearly 15 years of working in the 'public sector' (the home of 'PC madness') i have almost never encountered specific PC related issues as discussed in the newspapers (and worse believed by the general public)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
in nearly 15 years of working in the 'public sector' (the home of 'PC madness') i have almost never encountered specific PC related issues as discussed in the newspapers (and worse believed by the general public)

I bet you've had to take a safety course in how to sit on a chair, though. ;)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i do have to give a yearly 20 minute health and safety 'lecture' to students about chairs etc

oh look here's an excerpt (i just read it out, i didn't write it):

Risk: Cup of coffee by an electrical item

If coffee is spilt there is a risk of an electric shock

Solution: Ban food and drink in areas with electrical items

Risk: Students sitting on a high railing

They may fall and injure themselves

Solution: Ban students from sitting on high railings

our H&S officer is a power crazed nutter.