Poor rich people

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Not to be too inflammatory here, but IdleRich can go ahead and hurl these weird half-assed accusations at the far leftists here insinuating that they somehow must be mentally ill or imbalanced
Is it worth pointing out that far leftists other than HMLT - yourself, Gek, K-Punk, Gavin, for instance - don't get accused of being mentally ill, imbalanced or just 'wankers' anywhere near as much as HMLT does, largely because you tend to actually respond to people who disagree with you in a fairly mature way rather than just using bizarre leaps of logic to accuse them of anything you can think of. It's not some campaign to smear far-leftists by labeling them insane, it's a fairly natural reaction to some of the ranting and raving and thread derailments and hatred that people have seen from Padraig/HMLT over the years...

N

nomadologist

I never said that. In fact, I went to great lengths to refute it:

At no point have I said that “only lazy, dumb people can’t get good jobs”. Not once. In fact I went to great lengths trying to spell out the fact that the wage you earn only reflects your ability to provide a skill and the value of that ability relative to the rest of the economy. Intelligence and energy are not necessarily reflected in your job role, nor are they necessarily reflected in the wage you earn. That should be obvious – so obvious it makes a dress wearing Geoff Capes look subtle....​
But, of course, you've already been told this repeatedly and it's clearly not going to make any difference telling you again.

I don't fancy mself as anything, actually.

Saying that the wage you earn reflects your skill and the "value" it has to the general economy implies that the wage you don't earn reflects your "skill" (or lack thereof). How does one get marketable "skills" (which are often pure bullshit and resume fluff)? Don't the "skills" that land people jobs at Goldman Sachs often amount to nothing more than the fact that it says Yale at the top of someone's resume and their daddy got them the interview?

Let's not be naive.

I would have to go back and read that thread again, but if I remember correctly this was part of the discussion where people tried to blame bullying for the fact that some kids underachieve in school? It was implied over and over in that thread that if you don't make enough money, it's because you didn't work hard enough in school.

Last edited: