drug warning stories

N

nomadologist

also knew an amazingly talented jazz musician who took acid everyday until he went psychotic. when he came back to school, he'd switched to meth. you used to have to wade through piles and piles of trash in his apartment just to go see if he was alive. he got so bad he blackt aped all his windows and wouldn't leave.

N

nomadologist

I like Bill Hicks's take on this:

"So some kid jumped out of a tall building because he was tripping and thought he was Superman. Well didja ever notice Superman can fly from the GROUND? Like he doesn't need to jump off a tall building in order to fly?"

the weirdest part about that legend is that hallucinogens in general cause enough residual anxiety that i'd be surprised to see anyone get that ballsy. i'd be more likely to expect them to be afraid of looking out a window from a high place. it's speed that gives people delusions of grandeur, and that i've seen people do the absolute dumbest shit on. like drive headfirst into a police car driving on the other side of the road.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Probably the worst drug of all for this kind of stuff is available by the four-pack in shops in every high street throughout most of the world.

N

nomadologist

Definitely. Heroin withdrawal pales in comparison (in terms of how lethal it is, in particular) to alcohol withdrawal. I've known people to have to go on life support for the latter. The former is hell on earth, but eventually, it does end and you'd never die from it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was talking more about making people do stupid things, through a combination of false confidence and poor judgement, though of course the addiction/withdrawal aspect is pretty bad too.

Just how much do you have to drink to get addicted to it, though? I drink practically every day and have done since I was 16 or so, but it's not an addiction, because I don't drink to get drunk (very often).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
the weirdest part about that legend is that hallucinogens in general cause enough residual anxiety that i'd be surprised to see anyone get that ballsy. i'd be more likely to expect them to be afraid of looking out a window from a high place. it's speed that gives people delusions of grandeur, and that i've seen people do the absolute dumbest shit on. like drive headfirst into a police car driving on the other side of the road.

OTM.

(Warning Godwin's law fans may like to look away now...)
I was somewhat entertained to discover the "Nazi Method" of manufacturing Methamphetamine. Also I believe Hitler's quack Doctor injected him regularly with cocaine shots to the eyes. Mmmm.

tht

akstavrh
it's not an addiction, because I don't drink to get drunk (very often)

that's not the definition of an addiction

a good alcoholic can drink a pint of scotch every day without appearing 'drunk'

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But he must be feeling some sort of subjective effect from it - other than merely to stave off the withdrawals, I mean.

And Gek, I've certainly heard about Hitler's IV meth habit, but injections in the eyes? Wouldn't that have sent him blind?
I know he wasn't a well man towards the end of the war, but would he have let anyone do something that crazy to him?

Edit: says here he had cocaine eyedrops - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Morell#Hitler.27s_physician
Guess the stuff was quite widely used as a topical anaesthetic back in them days.

Last edited:

Lichen

It's pretty terrifying stuff from what I've heard - it's thought to be the drug used to produce 'zombis' in Voodoun. :confused: The effect has been likened to "sleepwalking, having a nightmare and tripping all at the same time".

Were you after a 'legal high', or were you served it in a salad, or what?

I was after ANY high. It was in Chile with some hippies. They had matted hair and smelt like horse dung.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, I mean a hardcore drinker would get drunk much less quickly than you (I assume) or me, but I should think he would still drink in order to get drunk.
Which of course is people drink more and more as their tolerance increases.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was after ANY high. It was in Chile with some hippies. They had matted hair and smelt like horse dung.

No coca leaves available? That's meant to be quite nice. The people who live up in the mountains have used it for donkey's years for energy and to counteract altitude sickness. It doesn't spin you out or get you hooked like refined coke does, apparently.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But yes: Amphetamine based drugs create apocalyptic grandiosity aplenty.

I love the bit in Walk The Line where Johnny Cash is hanging out with Jerry Lee Lewis's gang and they get loaded up on beers and speed and blow up a tree, just for fun.

I had a truly awesome time on the stuff in Berlin over New Year. Somehow managed not to annex Poland, though. ;)

Lichen

Re: Coca Leaves: This was by the beach.

It destroyed my short-range eyesight for a day or two afterwards. I couldn't read a word.

Stay off the Datura, kids! The only good thing to happen was a story from an Argentinian present.

He claimed to have hidden in terror up a tree for the duration of the Falkands war.

The truth is: all drugs suck, but sometimes they're better than no drugs.

N

nomadologist

not just hitler, all of germany was on that shit, mostly in pill form. not much unlike america now, where literally 90% of my friends get 30mg adderall XR everyday, which you can crush and inject really easily. i think it makes a fine solution with mostl liquids.

it's a lot cleaner than street speed (meth or crank), but nowhere near as "recreational" as meth in my experience. i wrote my thesis in two furious days on meth. by the end i was hallucinating wildly.