Votes: 8 30.8%
  • I never know what people think

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • People think i'm a prick

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Guybrush

Dittohead
Why do you 'doubt you and your friends are on the same plane socially' as barry_abs? Do you know him? That comes across as deeply patronising. What is your insinuation here? Coz it comes across like "i am really special and so much deeper than you lot". Everyone's been through stuff, some people don't broadcast it.

I think she means that it’s impossible to think of your friends in terms of adjectives if you have a tight relationship with them. To paraphrase Derrick May, ‘they are what they are.’

As far as my acquaintances (as opposed to my friends) are concerned, I would venture to guess that half of them think that I’m an arrogant toff, albeit a jovial one, and half of them think that I’m charm impersonated. None of my friends are into culture (in whichever highbrow/lowbrow guise it might take) all that much, so my interest in that area is seen more as a hobby akin to train-spotting than as something that could be considered ‘cool’ (a highly dubious term in itself).

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
is talking about your own image a taboo subject? in general, is it done?

the risks of coming across vain, insecure, paranoid, cocky etc. are high..

regardless of what previous poster said, we do care what people think.. why would we bother posting if we didn't? this forum is a vehicle to give and receive feedback on each others thoughts.

N

nomadologist

Why do you 'doubt you and your friends are on the same plane socially' as barry_abs? Do you know him? That comes across as deeply patronising. What is your insinuation here? Coz it comes across like "i am really special and so much deeper than you lot". Everyone's been through stuff, some people don't broadcast it.

deeply patronizing? i suppose that's a risk when you're answering a question as vital and serious as "do people think you're cool"...

what i meant was, as guybrush touched on, the people whose opinions matter to me are so close, as close as family, in a way that precludes considerations of 'coolness'

if that's "patronizing" then so be it

N

nomadologist

and trust me, i haven't broadcasted like 1/100 of what i've been through. i make sure to keep with the lighter, more fun material.

N

nomadologist

is talking about your own image a taboo subject? in general, is it done?

the risks of coming across vain, insecure, paranoid, cocky etc. are high..

regardless of what previous poster said, we do care what people think.. why would we bother posting if we didn't? this forum is a vehicle to give and receive feedback on each others thoughts.

how can you possibly say that "we" do anything. isn't that, as many here would say, a "generalization"? and a dangerous one.

is there anything wrong with being self-satisfied enough not to care what joe schmoe on the street thinks of you? i don't think so.

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
What do you mean by 'cool' - is this in the sense of 'trendy, fashionable', 'at ease with oneself, chilled out', 'sound, well-balanced' or what?

sorry about the ambiguity.. by "do people think you're cool" i mean "do people like you"..

N

nomadologist

not in the slightest. though i like them from what i know of them!

N

nomadologist

wait--do people actually care what people on the INTERNET think of them? god i have too much else to worry about i guess

N

nomadologist

also, when i said barry was on a different "plane", i meant to imply that he was talking ABOUT a different social plane, not that he doesn't have close friends or anything. sorry, you are right-- that was poorly worded.

N

nomadologist

are you sure?

absolutely. the internet is a pressure valve for me. when i am stressed or have manic energy, i find it a safe way to release with minimal peripheral damage to myself or others. i do not take it seriously enough to care about it.

which is not to say there aren't a lot of fun, interesting people on here who seem very informed and into the same things i am. i don't doubt i would be friends with them under "real world" circumstances.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"sorry about the ambiguity.. by "do people think you're cool" i mean "do people like you"...
I genuinely thought you meant "are you hip?" or something like that. I wonder what all of the people who voted thought it meant when they voted. I notice that one person has said "people think I'm a prick" - which is pretty unambiguous whatever meaning you attach to "cool", I wonder who it was.

turtles

in the sea
I'm with barry on being somewhat dubious that nomad (or anyone else, for that matter) could not care at all about what other people think about her/them. I mean, if suddenly all Dissensus turned on you nomad (hypothetically speaking, y'know!) and started saying all sorts of terrible things about you, wouldn't you be at least a bit disappointed? Perhaps a smidgen annoyed or hurt?

I always thing of clothes in this example. If someone really didn't give a damn, wouldn't they just wake up every morning and wear the absolute most comfortable clothes possible? Go outside in your pajamas and what not. But that never happens. People give a damn about what other people see (and think) when they look at them. Yes there's different gradations of this, but I don't think there's an absolute zero.

I think the flip side of the question "do people like me" is "do you want people to like you?" And, though you may not want ALL people to like you, I'd be pretty worried about a person who didn't want to be liked at all.

ps. poll is missing "all of the above" option

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Someone who *literally* didn't care what anyone thought of them would probably be a complete sociopath.

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm very open, trusting, and have little to no sense of boundaries. so while always well meaning (if nothing else to make boring or unpleasant situations better by cracking a joke) i sometimes tend to step on people's toes. especially when my wit does circles around people "in charge". in work situations i've had to seriously tone down my personality... but the best solution is to not work in an office, and only spend time with people i choose to be around.

it's very easy for me to meet people, most of which don't last, but some become friends, and a few lovers. i think i'm actually naturally, instinctively very shy, but have had to get-over-it through circumstances, which forced me to to out-going (moving to a new continent at the age of 12 will do that to a kid).

i tend toward trying to please people, and i do care that i am generally liked.

people sometimes mistake kindness for weakness. which is too bad.

N

nomadologist

I'm with barry on being somewhat dubious that nomad (or anyone else, for that matter) could not care at all about what other people think about her/them. I mean, if suddenly all Dissensus turned on you nomad (hypothetically speaking, y'know!) and started saying all sorts of terrible things about you, wouldn't you be at least a bit disappointed? Perhaps a smidgen annoyed or hurt?

I always thing of clothes in this example. If someone really didn't give a damn, wouldn't they just wake up every morning and wear the absolute most comfortable clothes possible? Go outside in your pajamas and what not. But that never happens. People give a damn about what other people see (and think) when they look at them. Yes there's different gradations of this, but I don't think there's an absolute zero.

I think the flip side of the question "do people like me" is "do you want people to like you?" And, though you may not want ALL people to like you, I'd be pretty worried about a person who didn't want to be liked at all.

ps. poll is missing "all of the above" option

i'd go find something else to do. like one of the million more important things i should be doing instead of being online