Music Documentaries

hint

party record with a siren
Has anyone got / seen the "All You Need Is Love" DVDs?

I caught a bit of one of the episodes last night on Sky Arts. The series seems to have a lot of unique performance footage and actually lets the music play out in many cases. I'm curious about the rest of it.

I picked up Tom Dowd and The Language of Music super cheap recently, but I have yet to watch it.

I posted about this docu a while back on here, when it was called "Foundations". Looks like it's been renamed "Downtown Calling" and is actually being shown now in cinemas. Anyone seen it?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
just done a doc on Rat Skates - thrash metal drummer from the Lubrikunts and Overkill. joined a few dots for me. enjoyable watch. still inspired by stories of proactive DIY production attitudes and entrepreneurship.

dvd_ratskates_basement.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No doubt some/most of you will have seen Synth Britannia already, but for those who haven't, it's currently on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n93c4

I've wanted to see it for ages, and I was glad I finally bothered to watch it. I love the spirit of experimentalism and creativity that all these guys had, and their determination to wrestle synths from the hands of prog-rock soloists. It's funny how these synth records from the 70s and 80s sound both dated and futuristic at the same time, and I love how raw and unpolished they sound.

CrowleyHead

Its at its best when its kind of teen music sometimes, isn't it?

I think that's a big part of why the Krautrock one they attempted after falls flat. You have this gigantic collective of kind of oddball types talking about their different issues and manifesting their quirks (Oakey's weird casual self-deprecation and good nature, Numan's sort of basement dwelling d20 wielder turned unlikely pop star, Richard H Kirk as overripe punk aging as disgracefully as possible in either good or bad ways). Whereas the Krauts just have storied adults reflecting on artistic realizations as adults.

A lot of these synthists return to childhood and laugh at their own expense, but for the most part appear to have been having some fun trying to make themselves into bands/pop stars.

sadmanbarty

Some Jazz docs for everyone. Not necessarily excellent, but they do the job.

1959 The Year That Changed Jazz

The World According To John Coltrane

Miles Davis A Different Kind of Blue [It's about his fusion period, not Kind of Blue]

A Love Supreme: 50 Years On

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051s0fp

John Coltrane- A Love Supreme

Miles Plugs In [There’s a part 2 to this, which I can’t find]

Kind Of Blue- Made In Heaven

luka

I've been waiting for this appear on YouTube for many years and finally I've found it. This is the best music documentary ever made. I had it on VHS and watched it two million times. Amazing Melvyn Bragg intro. Immaculate tune selection. Magical footage. This is not all of it so make sure you fish around for the other parts too

"Speaking to the beat"

luka

There's something about hearing them through the telly with the accompanying visuals and the contextualisation that makes every song amazing

sadmanbarty

There's something about hearing them through the telly with the accompanying visuals and the contextualisation that makes every song amazing

rock fans are very privileged to be into a music that's routinely packaged alongside, and equated with, a temporal and geographic context. they get to see the archive footage and all that. it's all wrapped up in their experience.