Abortion

mixed_biscuits

My argument is that, as there is no way definitively to ascertain or agree on the point at which the foetus becomes 'human' then we have to err on the side of caution and accord the developing human - at a very early stage of development - the same rights as the developing human at a later stage.

That there is debate *at all* on this matter tells us to err on the side of caution.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On the Dissensus front page, this thread is (or, until a second ago, was) labelled "Abortion mixed biscuits", which made me slightly queasy. :p

N

nomadologist

Interesting point also about the bio-ethics of the pill, nomad - my girlfriend used to find even female doctors very difficult to talk to about pros/cons, side-effects etc, when they would push the pill on her and shut down discussion - and of course a constantly renewed prescription means a constant revenue stream for the doctors, retail chemists and the pharmaceutical companies that supply them, so they're all too happy with the setup.

It's one of my pet issues. I can't stand the thought that women are needlessly ruining their physical experience of life just because it makes so many people so much money, and because men refuse to take responsibility themselves.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not all doom and gloom, though - taking the pill is meant to help protect against osteoporosis in later life.

It's funny, I've heard women complain about how incredibly difficult it is to get the pill in America - a far cry from doctors pressuring women to take it, no? Although I expect it's one of those things that varies a lot from state to state.

N

nomadologist

You can also do that by drinking milk.

It's difficult to get the pill at a reasonable price from a clinic anymore. It's not difficult at all to go pay the doctor off-insurance about $150 for a 10 minute visit during which they insist that you go pay at very least $50 month to get birth control.

N

nomadologist

here's another argument pro abortion from an "ethical" standpoint that i've heard:

vaginal birth comes at the risk of all kinds of complications, the least of which are potential failure for tearing to heal and eventual uterine/vaginal prolapse. this means that giving birth is highly likely to take away a woman's ability to experience pleasure during intercourse.

can you imagine what a man would say if you tried to tell him he could not medically remove something from his body that threatened to forever ruin is ability to enjoy sex?
why should women be told that they can't?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I find doctors very difficult to talk to about pros/cons, side-effects etc, when they would push milk on me and shut down discussion. What if you're lactose intolerant? What if you're vegan? What if you DON'T LIKE MILK?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The physical after-effects of childbirth can heal over time; a more potentially pressing consideration is the fact that you're not going to have the time or energy for sex for years to come, and that this is going to affect the father equally...

If you're just going to list all the bad things about having kids, you could start with a quote of the estimated amount of money the average couple spends on bringing up a child from birth to leaving home.

N

nomadologist

The physical after-effects of childbirth can heal over time;

prolapse requires extremely expensive experimental surgery that barely works.

i know this because i've had to write countless proposals SINGING THE PRAISES OF PROLIFT from the rooftops for a client who shall remain nameless.

N

nomadologist

Oh please. Are you gonna cry, scream murder or even be bothered if someone in a lab drops a petri dish with 3 impregnated eggs on the floor? Didn't think so.

This is what's hilarious about the pro-life, anti-stem cell research activists: these same people said nothing, in fact, are ALL FOR creating viable embryos that will eventually be destroyed, just as long as this happens at FERTILITY CLINICS and not abortion clinics.

I love stem cell research for teasing out all the not-at-all latent hypocrisy in the pro-life position.