baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That was good, but Suarez hits all the bases:

Still think it's a disgraceful oversight in the laws of football that a goal wasn't given to Ghana in that world cup game. If someone handles a ball on the line that was going in, a goal should be given - similar to a penalty try in rugby.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Well the simple answer there is that Neuer didn't break any rule, any more than appealing for a throw you know came off you isn't a foul. But yes, clearly football's cheating problem is way out of control."
It's not the cheating as such, it's the interview I'm talking about. In most sports proudly admitting to cheating would be a bad thing. In football, particularly international football, winning is all it seems and sportsmanship goes out of the window. It's not even considered. It seems strange that I think Neuer was out of order.

nomos

Administrator
iZvCEWuhRznR.gif

:p

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Drogba's and Lewandowski's goals....jeez. And the Dortmund keeper produced some magical saves. It was a stellar night for European football, against the expectations to be fair. Got to feel sorry for Malaga, though purely in terms of spectacle, I'm pleased that Dortmund have made it through rather than having 3 Spanish sides in the last four.

Such a pity that Galatasaray couldn't do it. Looked like they had Real on the rack after those two quick goals. The atmosphere inside the stadium must've been electric.

Phaedo

yeah amazing scenes in dortmund last night, loved the togetherness of their players/staff when they were celebrating.

apparently messi is only fit for the bench tonight for barca which could make it interesting. although cesc played his whole at the weekend and got a hat-trick and 2 assists.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Funny how the only tie that people thought would be close, was the only tie which gave us no drama at all (Bayern-Juve). Looking forward hugely to the semis; Dortmund can't be that mediocre again, given their previous excellent performances - have to put it down to nerves.

Didn't see the game yday, but the consensus seems to be that Barcelona looked very shaky, end of an era type stuff (of course these things are always exaggerated, but 2 shots on goal all evening tells a story for sure). What was the stat about Barcelona I heard yesterday - Messi has scored 43 goals this season, and the next highest scorer is Pedro on 9? But I still find it irritating how commentators overlook just how wonderful Iniesta is as a player (and Xavi and the rest, of course, but Iniesta weighs in with important goals on top of everything else). The idea that Barca are a one man team is ludicrous - they just need another world-class striker as insurance for when Messi is crocked. In the 2009 era they had both Eto'o and Messi, after all, two of the best strikers ever to walk the face of the earth.

Were they ever linked with Drogba? Let's face it, the guy is still phenomenal in the big games - Barcelona could do worse than pick up the phone to Istanbul...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I guess that Barcelona being hammered, was coming. Bayern always seemed perfectly designed to beat them, with their height, power and counter-attacking. Styles make fights - wait for the inevitable praising of Bayern to the skies, before they lose the final again to a team better equipped to deal with them. If Chelsea can do it, either of the other two can. Will be quite funny if Robben loses yet again.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dortmund are a great team. Haven't seen much about Madrid that makes me think Dortmund will fear them - United should've nicked the second round, and they looked severely rocky after 75 mins of the quarters.

That said, maybe it's finally Ronaldo's year to eclipse Messi in the headlines.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
That was the weakest Barca performance I've seen in years but I think 4-0 slightly flattered Bayern. Two of their goals shouldn't have been given

crackerjack

That was the weakest Barca performance I've seen in years but I think 4-0 slightly flattered Bayern. Two of their goals shouldn't have been given

Third goal was an utter disgrace, you couldn't see a more blatant foul. Nothing wrong with a changing of the guard though and I hope Dortmund go on to win.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, that was an obvious foul but I don't think 4-0 flattered Bayern, they played them off the park. There were plenty of others that could have gone in.