paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Felt disloyal watching MOTD last night. I hate to say it, but Arsenal were a joy to watch and Chelsea's first goal shouldn't have been given. I would have been going mental if that goal had been given against us

Phaedo

Although their not relying on him for goals right now I think if Giroud gets injured Arsenal will be in trouble. His link up play is fantastic.

Podolski/Bendtner/Walcott arent really championship winning strikers.

benjybars

village elder.
watching west ham is too depressing at the moment so i mostly spend my time watching arsenal.. cazorla, ozil, wiltshere and ramsay - have any team in PL history had four midfielders playing so well at the same time?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hard to gauge the PL at the moment. Not just cos of all the new managers, but the imbalance in top fixtures. Utd have played Liverpool, City & Chelsea, whereas Arsenal, Liverpool and City have all played just one of their potential rivals and Chelsea and Spurs two.

There's a stat that, if you take head-to-head fixtures, Arsenal are actually doing worse this year than last.

I think the importance of those crunch matches (while very entertaining) is often overplayed - quite often the team with a mediocre record vs other top teams still wins the title (e.g. Man U almost nicked it from City despite having been soundly beaten twice in 2012), due to grinding out those narrow victories against the weaker teams. But obviously they are six-pointers still.

Yeah, they had 21/21 points from those same games, didn't they?

@bandhell - yeah, it was very impressive, but in a way Arsenal have long been built better for Europe than for the Premiership.

Last edited:

crackerjack

I think the importance of those crunch matches (while very entertaining) is often overplayed - quite often the team with a mediocre record vs other top teams still wins the title (e.g. Man U almost nicked it from City despite having been soundly beaten twice in 2012), due to grinding out those narrow victories against the weaker teams. But obviously they are six-pointers still.

It's not that the 6-pointers are that crucial; it's that, after 8 matches, you can't reasonably compare points tallies of a team who've played nearly half those games against top teams with a team who've played just 1 of them.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"To defend for almost 45 minutes with one less man on the pitch … I can't describe in words what these players have done."

great self-contradictory quote from the iceland coach after the draw with croatia, for which they had 10 men for the second half.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Prem at the moment is the best it's been in years - who knew Ferguson's retirement (along with Mancini and Benitez going) would set things alight so much?

As many have said over the past 12 hours, nice to see that David Moyes still hasn't won a Man United- Everton match...

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is interesting isn't it? I hope United stick with Moyes though, before the start of the season they made all the right noises about giving him time to settle and not expecting incredible results right away so I think it would be disappointing if that turned out to just be a load of bollocks.

crackerjack

I hope United stick with Moyes though

So do i :D

A lot of United fans must now be cursing the first 3 years of failure that was such a part of the Fergie legend. Makes it harder for the board to excuse an abrupt sacking this time.

But even Moyes' achievements at Everton (and given the budgets, there's no doubt he overachieved, at least in points) are now being put in the shade. Maybe United will come good. But I'd put more money on them actually winning something – maybe not this year, maybe next – than doing so with the sort of style that would win their fans over.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Who would United put in his place if they did get rid of him? And (to save me reading tens of contradictory articles on the internet to try to work it out) is it true they really turned down Mourinho for the United job, or was that just a rumour? If so, I find that incomprehensible. Sure, he's an egomaniac, but I don't see that the Madrid problem would have recurred with careful management.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just think that managers get sacked too quickly in football and I think that United are someone who appear to have resisted that - though let's face it, that's probably cos when the concept of sacking managers who lose three in a row came in they had a manager who never lost three in a row.

crackerjack

I just think that managers get sacked too quickly in football and I think that United are someone who appear to have resisted that - though let's face it, that's probably cos when the concept of sacking managers who lose three in a row came in they had a manager who never lost three in a row.

They proved themselves in Fergie's nursery years... under different ownership in a different era and with a man who already had a record as a winner, rather than just an overachiever-under-the-circumstances. Moyes can go his first season without winning anything, but if he doesn't finish in a CL place he's toast, I'd guess.

Babs, yes, the suggestion was they decided he wasn't their type of guy (imagine Man U having a manager who pathologically moans about referees, peddles paranoid theories about biased football authorities and falls out with his top players now and then ;)) so didn't interview him, despite Mourinho's public fellating of them after RM beat them in the CL.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Seems like their pride got the better of them...mad really, especially if Chelsea end up winning the Premiership (certainly wouldn't bet against it).

To add to Ferguson's achievements at Aberdeen and the different era, expectations at Man U were very different in the mid 80s. Plus Fergie finished 2nd in his second season, which at the time was a very decent result for Man U - maybe that bought him some time. There's not much that Moyes could do to make himself stand out and silence all doubters, given what has gone immediately before. Unenviable to say the least.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So it makes sense to organise friendlies that will increase your ranking points. I don't think you would want to forgo friendless overall cos there is a chance to have a look at the team etc Basically there is a trade off with a given friendly in terms of what is gained and what is lost - counties should at least be thinking about that, that's for certain.
When he says that only once has a non-seeded team won I think that's more to do with the fact that the seeds do generally contain the best sides despite the slightly random way they are put together. I think that it would be a good bet to say that this year's winner is likely to come from Spain, Brazil, Germany or Argentina regardless of whether or not those countries had a slightly easier route to the final than others.

crackerjack

There are now 8 teams above United.

United have played them all this season. And beaten just one of them (Arsenal).

Incredible scenes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So one group is Holland, Spain, Chile and Australia. Looking at the head-to-head, Netherlands have played Australia three times and come away with two draws and a defeat. Interesting.