IdleRich

IdleRich
Have you seen this story about Ronaldinho going round? Probably old news to you but I only recently saw it.

I guess it's already being exaggerated, but when I first read it, it said he toured South Africa in 2,000... now people are wondering about the parentage of this South African women's international born 2001 called Miche Minnie's...

conheça-miche-minnies-atacante-de-21-anos-do-clube-sul-v0-v9ki0x4nhrlb1.jpg

version

It seems to be a kind of opposite approach to buying City or PSG and using them to win a foreign league. But isn't it just what MLS and North American Soccer League have done before but with way more money. Also what China seemed to be going for more recently?

Nah, because they've been trying to buy stars still in their prime from top clubs and players who could still play in Europe and had offers from European clubs have gone over there. The targets and spending have been unprecedented.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah but don't you think other countries would have done the same if they had the wealth? To me is a difference in degree not kind.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Have you seen this story about Ronaldinho going round? Probably old news to you but I only recently saw it.

I guess it's already being exaggerated, but when I first read it, it said he toured South Africa in 2,000... now people are wondering about the parentage of this South African women's international born 2001 called Miche Minnie's...

View attachment 16032

Is this new to you @version? I thought it might be a sort of footballing urban myth. Especially cos the first time I read it it has Ronnie touring SA at just the right time but I can't seem to verify that detail and now it seems to have vanished.

version

Yeah but don't you think other countries would have done the same if they had the wealth? To me is a difference in degree not kind.

Probably, but the wealth and sudden push is a big difference on its own. A player like Ibra or Rooney going to MLS every so often and when they're more or less done in Europe is on a totally different scale to Saudi outspending La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 signing players like Neymar, Benzema and Mane in the space of a single transfer window. They even beat Barca to a signing when they nabbed Brozovic from Inter.

version

Is this new to you @version? I thought it might be a sort of footballing urban myth. Especially cos the first time I read it it has Ronnie touring SA at just the right time but I can't seem to verify that detail and now it seems to have vanished.

Yeah, new to me. Probably bollocks, but she does look a bit like him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Probably, but the wealth and sudden push is a big difference on its own. A player like Ibra or Rooney going to MLS every so often and when they're more or less done in Europe is on a totally different scale to Saudi outspending La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 signing players like Neymar, Benzema and Mane in the space of a single transfer window. They even beat Barca to a signing when they nabbed Brozovic from Inter.

Thing is though, a big part of the reason they've spent so much is cos you have to pay extra to entice players to go there. In the main it's still players past their peak going for one last payday. The ludicrous wages have pushed down the age a bit but it's still basically the same thing... the exception is Neymar (and I think he is 30) which is why he's such big news.

I dunno, I'm not sure we're that far apart in what we are saying but we read it slightly differently I suppose.

ghost

One thing I see a lot now is Americans claiming that if football had the same status as NBA, NFL in North America etc then the US would dominate football cos they simply produce better athletes. Gotta say I'm not convinced, it looks to me as though you got more chance of Europe catching up in basketball than US catching up in football... I mean I think several of the best basketball players in the world right now are European but, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I'm forgetting someone - as far as I know the US has never produced a single world class football player.
This doesn't matter, we would just acquire every good player to come out of South America.

jenks

thread death
It wasn’t that long ago (in my mind that is) that English football rarely attracted the best players - Ipswich had a couple, Spurs had Ardiles in the 80s. Then we kind of picked Euro players on one last pay day - Klinnsman springs to mind. It’s only with the creation of the PL and the Sky money that we started getting the Henry/Bergkamp types whom came over in their prime - it was only then the power shifted from Italy which up to then had been the richest league (Gazza/Van Basten/Gullit/Rijkard). I’m guessing the Saudis and Americans are hoping to do the same but at an accelerated pace. (Caveat is that the Bosman ruling really changed things)

IdleRich

IdleRich
This doesn't matter, we would just acquire every good player to come out of South America.

I'm assuming you're talking about international football by here, in which case you mean to get em young and make them change their nationality? It's a decent plan, or it would have been a few years ago but now I don't see how you'll be able to get em before the Saudis do.

Also, you have to consider that, although Argentina won the last World Cup, Europe has been pretty dominant this century.

So I'm afraid I don't see the US really becoming a serious force in football any time soon, either by developing your own players or by stealing (buying) the best from other countries, and like I said, I fear your basketball dominance is looking increasingly shaky. Sure the US will probably still be the best overall team but considering you have 100 times as many people it's a little embarrassing that Serbia or whatever can give you a game. Or really it should be a bit concerning that there's about 25 people in Europe who take basketball seriously and yet of those 25 half of them are in the top 20 best in the NBA.

However, you do have a secret weapon if you want to maintain some sporting dominance. Well, I call it a secret but most people even outside the US have at least heard of NFL, though ninety-nine percent of them would rather drink a pint of diarrhoea than sit through a game.

And that's why it can be viewed as a secret weapon. I'm not saying it's boring, but it certainly is until you've developed a certain level if understanding, and there is really no incentive to do that unless it's part of your culture. So NFL has no crossover appeal whatsoever, I simply cannot see any way for enough people from other countries to get involved and create the necessary critical mass for a strong league, good homegrown players and ultimately a national team to challenge the US.

Ultimately the sheer unattractiveness of American Football ensures that the US will utterly dominate it for generations if not forever. So my advice, withlg on the wall for basketball, is to pull up the drawbridge and concentrate entirely on NFL, throwing absolutely all resources at it, until you have this increasingly parochial amd hermetic sport which only you lot truly understand and at which you can annihilate your nearest rivals by a thousand points to zero without breaking a sweat.

I suppose you could do the same for baseball but the problem with that is that noone, and I mean literally noone in their right mind - including the players - likes baseball, so yeah you could probably concentrate on that - if you suddenly remembered you needed to test one more bomb on Japan and maybe augment the sanctions against Cuba - make that your national sport at which you were completely invincible, but it would be depressing... probably would increase the national suicide rate.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It wasn’t that long ago (in my mind that is) that English football rarely attracted the best players - Ipswich had a couple, Spurs had Ardiles in the 80s. Then we kind of picked Euro players on one last pay day - Klinnsman springs to mind. It’s only with the creation of the PL and the Sky money that we started getting the Henry/Bergkamp types whom came over in their prime - it was only then the power shifted from Italy which up to then had been the richest league (Gazza/Van Basten/Gullit/Rijkard). I’m guessing the Saudis and Americans are hoping to do the same but at an accelerated pace. (Caveat is that the Bosman ruling really changed things)

There was Ardilles, Pele, Stallone... no wait a sec... to be the Kinsman signing was a watershed. I guess with hindsight it just happened to be the first of a huge rush of signings, but at the time it sort of seemed to be the catalyst that made them happen.

ghost

Its of course not gonna happen, the americans truly don't care. But I think we'd have an edge in recruiting talent over saudi.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Its of course not gonna happen, the americans truly don't care. But I think we'd have an edge in recruiting talent over saudi.

Well, I still think you had better look to your laurels cos didn't US just get beaten by Germany at basketball?

ps the article I read about that had the word "winningest" again - is that really a word in usage in the US?