IdleRich

IdleRich
Interesting game at the moment- after early goal feels like Liverpool are getting more and more of the ball but still sonehow Atleti look the more dangerous.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not a surprise it's 1-0, this is a step up from the Prem whatever anyone says. Liverpool have got City's number, and all the other teams are markedly inferior. Tho Wolves posed Liverpool a lot of problems tbf, and shouldve won.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Think Atletic should have kept on attacking like they did during the first ten minutes or so. If this trajectory continues with them giving away more and more possession and getting deeper and deeper then Liverpool will ultimately roll over them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is weird too:

OFFICIAL: La Liga has authorized Barcelona to make an emergency signing to replace Dembele

Apparently it's a rule for every team in La Liga, but it's the first I've heard of it.
Yeah read about this, it's a weird one. It's a Spanish rule so doesn't apply in Europe or whatever and they can only buy from teams in the Spanish league so - in one sense - whatever. It seems that if you have a certain number of injuries and can prove that they are long-term enough you can buy an emergency player - but while the rule arguably comes from a good place, the team you buy from could easily be left in the same position of losing their only player in one position but they have no recourse. So it's a very lop-sided rule.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The second leg of that game will be epic. I wouldn't count Dortmund out for the CL title, Version could prove to be right - 3 goals per game in the Bundesliga, near enough, so they can outscore anyone, even before they signed Haaland...

You'd have to fancy Liverpool to finish the job against Atletico, but surely they'll have to play better to win the thing. Don't really understand the Minamino signing if they're not going to throw him on with 20 minutes left to unlock defences like this, tho I guess if Henderson hadn't got injured he might have come on

IdleRich

IdleRich
Both ties delicately poised... but yeah, Dortmund and Haaland are scoring at an unbelievable rate. They used to say 2-1 to the home side was the most equal first leg result so...
Liverpool v Atleti is hard to call too now I think. Going on that game Liverpool will have a lot of the ball but it's always hard to score against AM (plus they dangerous on the break), if they get an early one they could bury them, but if they don't then nerves will surely kick in. Bit of a shit goal to lose to, I'd be frustrated.
I too wondered about that guy they bought.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I kinda hate falling for the CL hype year after year but there really are some great ties this round. Or some that should be great anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Insane scoring rate for Haaland... I wonder how long it can continue. For a long time I hope.

His latest goals mean he has reached double figures in the Champions League four games faster than any other player in the competition's history, and is the only teenager to reach double figures in a single season.
In fact, the striker has scored more goals in the Champions League in 2019-20 than the entire Barcelona team, and is the first player in Dortmund's history to score in his first Bundesliga match, first match in the German Cup and in his first match in the Champions League.

IdleRich

IdleRich
For a minute I thought we were gonna go through a whole round of games without the Prem teams managing one goal between them. Anyway, City should have won that tie tonight, they showed a very average Madrid way too much respect when they could have gone at them more and then they almost paid for it by gifting them a goal... still two goals at the end and Ramos sent off (for the 26th time!) makes a satisfying result in the end I guess.
Also Lyon beating Juventus but the tie very delicately balanced of course.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A quick google reveals that Ramos has the third most red cards in history... he's closing in fast on second place - who would bet against him catching or even passing Cyril Rool on 27? - but Gerardo Bodeya is way out in front with an unbeatable looking 46 early baths!

IdleRich

IdleRich
That is amazing when you think about it, he's almost double his nearest challenger... I believe that in terms of standard deviations from the norm Donald Bradman is the most dominant international sportsman of all time and all fields but this guy must come pretty close in his chosen speciality.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My feeling is that if they do get past Madrid and wrap up the league then they will surely be focusing on the CL and it's possible they take their foot of the pedal and slip up. But who knows?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
City stepped up in Europe at last, but I can't see them winning the thing, not with that defence. And if Laporte's injury is anything serious, then def not.