catalog

Imagine if the football momentum swung to Sheffield over Manchester. Would we get some good music out of it? I went to Sheffield yesterday. Easy parking. Nice small galleries. Discount posh Asian food. It might happen.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Imagine if the football momentum swung to Sheffield over Manchester. Would we get some good music out of it? I went to Sheffield yesterday. Easy parking. Nice small galleries. Discount posh Asian food. It might happen.
Wednesday are a little off their part of that scenario just now..

catalog

Blades doing enough for both of them. These towns are no longer big enough to support two teams. Liverpool/Everton is case in point? I def think that's what's going on in Manchester. All the new people in the city just want it to be one team.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hmmm, I can't imagine Man City or Man Utd or Everton or Liverpool or even either of the Sheffield clubs are gonna say "Sure, we'll just kinda cease to exist and pass all our supporters and heritage and so on to our local derby rivals" any time in the foreseeable future. In fact I can't even see Clapton Town surrendering to Chelsea or Arsenal in that way so it's beyond impossible to imagine that happening with bigger teams.
I mean, it's not as City or United are exactly struggling for revenue or fans or any of the things that could potentially be strained by having too many teams in the same city are they? Although I do sometimes amuse myself by wondering how footballing history would have been different if London had not had so many teams that play at the top level and had just created some mega-colossus called London United or something. Is there any city that has half as many teams in its country's top flight as London?

catalog

You are right, of course, but the way things are going in Manchester right now, who knows. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a mayor decided to get rid of them me of the clubs in order to avoid confusion in the overseas investment market. The city is for sale to the highest bidder.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I'm just being silly, I know you're not seriously suggesting that Man Utd are gonna somehow make way for Man City in the foreseeable future but there is still a debate to be had about how many mega teams are sustainable in a city of that size.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Though I would argue that a local derby is such an important part of footballing tradition and culture that uniting each city behind one team would be throwing away more baby than bathwater.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Read through that article, cheers, Manchester is a strange city I think. My dad's family are from the outskirts and I've visited them a lot over the years but I know the centre less well. When I went up there to watch my friend play a gig there three years or so ago I was surprised at how small the centre is (as it says in the article), the city is a kinda network of villages spread out around a small (but fun I guess) centre rather than a conventional city as I think of them. Or at least that's the impression I got. Was also amazed at how long it took to get to where my aunt lives from the centre by train. It's kinda but not dense or something.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cracking game just now. United just about worth the 2-1 vs City - created enough chances to be out of sight in the first half (although fair play, City had more of the ball and a number of dangerous moments too). Second half was a lot tenser and less open but still intriguing. Great game all round basically, with touch of extra drama cos City pulled one back with five minutes to go.

version

I wonder whether Pep might leave soon. He left Barca when he felt he couldn't get through to the players anymore and City have dropped a level this season. That being said, they've had some key players out injured so it may just be down to that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've seen them quite a few times this season and they have gone backwards I agree. It's weird, I think they have been the strongest team in Europe for a few years but not got the pots to prove it (albeit while dominating the prem). I don't see them doing it this time... or maybe they will, football can be weird like that. I'm sure that if Liverpool could win the league and City win the euros then both would be happy.... but one of those is looking a lot more likely than the other just now.
But, should mention United today, in the first half there was a bit where they looked like prime Ferguson era, breaking fast as fuck, direct and exciting, could have had it won by half time. I'd be happy for OGS to play a kind of breaking system, it makes sense with Rashford, Martial and James all so fast and dangerous and - not to put too fine a point on it - a weaker bunch of players behind them (midfield really, defence is getting there). It's just a question of whether fans will accept it, to me it makes for exciting games, I enjoyed that 3-3 draw the other day but I understand that many fans might not have done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No question he still has his moments... in terms of pure ability this is a ridiculous time for football. As a contest etc... money... blah blah blah... but some of the talent on display. If Suarez was in the 80s or 90s he'd be known as an all time great. As it happens there was a time when arguably he wasn't in the top three in his team.

catalog

Read through that article, cheers, Manchester is a strange city I think. My dad's family are from the outskirts and I've visited them a lot over the years but I know the centre less well. When I went up there to watch my friend play a gig there three years or so ago I was surprised at how small the centre is (as it says in the article), the city is a kinda network of villages spread out around a small (but fun I guess) centre rather than a conventional city as I think of them. Or at least that's the impression I got. Was also amazed at how long it took to get to where my aunt lives from the centre by train. It's kinda but not dense or something.

It's so flat and rains all the time. Then all these funny places in the hills which are quite deprived and weird, all with their own histories. Yeah the centre is all disjointed, they've tried to pretend Salford doesn't exist and so it's built to one side of the river, which is so weird. Like any other major city in the world, you would be able to walk the river, it's actually quite big and nice. But you can't do it in Manchester. Weird.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone see the Everton game? Big Dunc brought on this Moise Keane and then took him off again fifteen minutes later. The kid looked totally devastated. Not sure what was going on?

entertainment

In the last few years of La Liga I recall chants about wishing the death of players, wishing the death of a player's children, calling players retards, countless racist chants & monkey noises. Today someone gets called a nazi and they suspend the game for the first time ever. Never happened before. And the guy actually is a fucking nazi. There are pictures of hm with veritable nazi symbolism.

The league is run by a Franco loving far right piece of shit.

version

Espanyol fans apparently chanted "Die Tito! Die!" during a Catalan derby when Vilanova was still in charge of Barca and battling cancer.