"Control"

Leo

just saw the joy division film "control," pretty impactful stuff and excellent visually, as you might expect from anton corbijn. very well cast and the live scenes are quite good, with the actors actually playing the tunes. the film drove home how brutal they could sound live.

so...was manchester in the 70s really that bleak? if nothing else, it sure seemed to have spawned some of the best bands of the era.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"had dealings with s*m*nth* m*rt*n recently. my she is a pain in the ass...."
Interesting that you should say that. When I went to see Control she was there to do a q&a afterwards and I thought that she came across quite well, surprisingly nervous for such a big star though (or maybe that was acting). I wasn't especially predisposed to like her as I've not really enjoyed any of her films but I left thinking more highly of her.
I thought Control was pretty good but somehow at the end I felt a little underwhelmed. I guess I'd heard the story so many times that even though it was very well shot and acted I wanted more than that. That was quite unreasonable on my part as really I can't see what they could have done to make it any better, the songs especially were very well rendered - I thought they were live versions I hadn't heard - I think it's just that the reviews had wetted my appetite for something that couldn't exist. Interesting choice of The Killers to close the film...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I thought Control was pretty good but somehow at the end I felt a little underwhelmed. I guess I'd heard the story so many times that even though it was very well shot and acted I wanted more than that. That was quite unreasonable on my part as really I can't see what they could have done to make it any better, the songs especially were very well rendered - I thought they were live versions I hadn't heard - I think it's just that the reviews had wetted my appetite for something that couldn't exist. Interesting choice of The Killers to close the film...

I thought the music was amazingly well performed (Transmission sounded a little powerless, though, but perhaps the first version was), but that the film left a lot to be desired. There were so many short, choppy scenes that the characters failed to shine through, and the film practically stopped at the suicide, which seemed to be buying into the myth. Too many 'meaningful' looks rather than sharp dialogue, too.

And I really thought that the sepia tones belied how grim England was int he late 70s. it didn't look too oppressive at all, i thought, and this detracted from an insight into why the music was so dark...

All in all, a music video and not a great film.

@Woebot....aw, I really like Samantha Morton...shattered dreams!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(Transmission sounded a little powerless, though, but perhaps the first version was),

You reckon? I love that song, and I certainly woulnd't call it 'powerless'.

Haven't seen the film, but I've heard quite good things about.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I thought the ending was very well handled - don't think it could have been done any better really, as *oops sorry slight spoiler*. The film as a whole did seem a bit stylish and slight but there were some great bits and some really good performances. I liked the little joke about being the lead singer in The Fall. When I saw it lots of people in the cinema made knowing noises as the familiar details unfolded and famous lines were said, as if they new the people on screen personally.

Last edited:

crackerjack

so...was manchester in the 70s really that bleak? if nothing else, it sure seemed to have spawned some of the best bands of the era.

I arrived in Manchester in the mid-80s. I think you'd struggle to exaggerate its bleakness (visually that is, not culturally or as a place to live) back then without going to Eastern Europe. Or Middlesborough (sorry - old Mark E Smith joke).

MCR was maybe the first of the British cities to realise the impact that a spot of 'urban regeneration' could have. It changed massively in the 18 years I lived there (it were all grey round here when I were a lad).

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I thought this was a terrific film, one of the best rock bios I've seen since John Carpenter's ELVIS, and will be curious to see how this compares to Todd Haynes Dylan bio, hopefully he doesn't queer it up too much

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You reckon? I love that song, and I certainly woulnd't call it 'powerless'.

Haven't seen the film, but I've heard quite good things about.

I was talking about the version in the film - as for the original, I'm in total agreement. One of the most powerful songs I've ever heard, which is why the version in Control was so disappointingly limp.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was talking about the version in the film - as for the original, I'm in total agreement. One of the most powerful songs I've ever heard, which is why the version in Control was so disappointingly limp.

Ahh, by 'the first version' I thought you meant 'the original'. Are the other songs done well?

dHarry

Just saw this. As mentioned by others, very good on atmosphere, a little short on insight (sorry!).

Riley is uncannily like Curtis both in appearance and gesture (the rolling eyes while singing, spastic dancing etc.). There was very little delving into his personality or his relationship with Deborah, so we got this unsatisfactory picture of a couple of working class teenagers who kiss a few times, then he says "let's get married", then says "let's have a baby", then to Annik "the marriage was a mistake". Which would be fine if it was fictional impressionistic look at a relationship where you can fill in the blanks yourself, but when you've read Deborah's book and know the story already, and know she was executive producer, it was a little thin.

With the band forming you get an overly neat sequence - Sumner & Hook telling Curtis they need a singer, followed by the famous local Sex Pistols gig, followed by Curtis joining the band, swiftly followed by Rob Gretton taking them on as manager ("Hallelujah, I am a believer in Joy Division") - it's all a bit (urgh) Commitments. Rob-as-comic-relief and other scenes (e.g. teenage Curtis steals some drugs and reads "side-effects include nausea, blurred vision, giddiness and fatigue" - comic pause - "I'm taking two!" - ha fookin ha) are also heavy-handedly corny.

"Atmosphere" welling up when Deborah finds Ian's body at the end was maybe a little exploitative, but that was nothing compared to the TERRIBLE decision to give the last word, music-wise, to the K*ll*rs doing an atrocious version of Shadowplay over the closing credits :confused: :mad: :( I could only stare in disbelief as the crowds all left. At least Corbijn didn't get his mates U2 in to murder Love Will Tear Us Apart or something. New Order's In A Lonely Place would've been a blindingly obvious but apt choice here.

And too little investigation into Curtis' lyrical fascination with history, WWII, religion, Ballard etc. or his long fascination with dying young which, whatever about buying into the martyr myth, at least complicates the "(epilepsy & bad drugs) + (marriage problems & affair) = suicide" equation, of the general social and political climate of the time, of Martin Hannet's experimental production techniques (which Sumner and Hook hated at first, but Ian loved). It also falls between two stools of the Ian/Deborah/Annik relationships and the band's progress, with the result that you don't get quite enough of either.

But as others said above, it's beautiful to look at as you would expect from photographer Corbijn (and highly reminiscent of films like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning or Billy Liar); the period detail is meticulous, Riley and Morton and the cast are great; and it's genuinely unnerving to see them all actually playing the songs (albeit a little timidly - the actors unsurprisingly lack the bludgeoning raw power of JD live, if not the occasional cack-handedness!).

crackerjack

"Atmosphere" welling up when Deborah finds Ian's body at the end was maybe a little exploitative, but that was nothing compared to the TERRIBLE decision to give the last word, music-wise, to the K*ll*rs doing an atrocious version of Shadowplay over the closing credits I could only stare in disbelief as the crowds all left. At least Corbijn didn't get his mates U2 in to murder Love Will Tear Us Apart or something. New Order's In A Lonely Place would've been a blindingly obvious but apt choice here.

Bono famously wrote to Tony Wilson after Curtis' death promising U2 would carry JD's torch. In the circs,, it's something close to miraculous Corbijn didn't use them, but you're right...The Killers? wtf? are they there to make it relevant to the yoof?

I wasn't tempted by this film anyway, and your description has confirmed mosft of my worst fears.

dHarry

Bono famously wrote to Tony Wilson after Curtis' death promising U2 would carry JD's torch. In the circs,, it's something close to miraculous Corbijn didn't use them, but you're right...The Killers? wtf? are they there to make it relevant to the yoof?

I wasn't tempted by this film anyway, and your description has confirmed mosft of my worst fears.
Actually I meant to recommend it, despite all the criticism!

dHarry

You think so? In what way?
the black and white cinematography, the grim oop north kitchen sink drama aspects to the story of young lovers getting stuck in marriage, mortgage and a good job in the civil service vs. a more glamourous exciting existence they dream about, the way that late 70's MCR is still stuck in the 50s-60s in many ways before the Thatcher-yuppie years and urban renewal would change it - the pram outside the Victorian industrial red-bricked terrace in the cobbled street, nappies hang-drying in the kitchen, etc... non?
(Edit: ) there's a fair bit of b&w Antonioni and A Bout De Souffle-era Godard in there too, stylistically

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the black and white cinematography, the grim oop north kitchen sink drama aspects to the story of young lovers getting stuck in marriage, mortgage and a good job in the civil service vs. a more glamourous exciting existence they dream about, the way that late 70's MCR is still stuck in the 50s-60s in many ways before the Thatcher-yuppie years and urban renewal would change it - the pram outside the Victorian industrial red-bricked terrace in the cobbled street, nappies hang-drying in the kitchen, etc... non?"
Maybe, I mean on paper when you list the similarities I see what you're saying but it certainly didn't remind me of them when watching it or make the same type of impression. I think that mainly because although it was in black and white it was a very different looking black and white - seemed much more sumptuous and expensive looking to me.

Magz Hall

Its worth seeing, there were only 6 other people in the audience in Surrey Quays on its opening Saturday night same amount as there were to see David Cronenberg 'eXistenZ'.
I thought it was going to be far worse than it actually was. It seemed to capture the era with some excellent support acting plus a classic portrayal of Tony Wilson and great black and white moody shots.
The storyline though was made into a bit of a soap opera reminding me of the doors film at times plus the actor who playing Ian, Sam Reily, some of his singing reminded me of the Jim Morrison too much rather than Ian Curtis. A typical misunderstood artist and long suffering wife narrative. It was very clichéd at times but there was a real bleakness to it and humour at times.

I never saw them live being far too young; if I had I probably would have a different viewpoint on it and hate it. I am sure there are equal measures of artistic license and truths in this production. Apparently the band have fallen out over it. The film is based on Ians life based on his wifes book and experiences supposedly its not a film about Joy Divison per say, which doesn’t seem to be the case really as the band are really pivotal to his life and this film story.

7/10

www.youarehear.co.uk

http://feeds.feedburner.com/youarehear

bnek

i wonder,

for someone who isnt particularly interested in the music, is this still worth seeing?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Equally untempted by this. It all seems like a classically de-intensifying piece of biography, everything naturalised and pop psychologised into conventionality (both in terms of explanation and fitting joy div into a ludicrously straightforward canonic "tragic rock" slot)... Joy Division taken out of relation to politics, post punk, and modernism, and to Peter Saville's art design and Martin Hannet's production techniques are entirely meaningless to me, it fails to capture that inhuman aura of purest grimmest EVIL which I felt from their music, moreso than any black metal or whatever, that unearthly sense of coldness, of the entire political situation of the time expressed in sound... that darkly compelling sense that is impossible to put into words (but which has nothing to do with suicide- check Nirvana for how lame that particular myth really is) or even sadness or melancholy, but rather some portal into the electrical inner-life, all chill neural fire and shattered glass, and in all of it a kind of heroism of youth, within the grip of mortality, an electrifying dialectic of fleshy heat and ice-pick cold. To place all of that on the shoulders of an individual is romantic tosh-- its as embodiment of something broader that Joy Division are important, how a mere confluence of contingencies can give rise to all this would be far more interesting to explore.

Last edited: