• Modes of Public/Private Transport

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • In Secret - Hard Drugs More 'Sociable'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How many a day is it, padraig? :)

You're completely sidestepping the point, John: your 'argument' in the smoking-ban thread is even much more ridiculous than someone demanding the banning of all cars, buses, motor vehicles, not for their contribution to greenhouse gases, but because you might be injured or killed by one of them. We can't have nasty, dangerous motor vehicles threatening your precious rights whenever you go for a stroll, can we?

N

nomadologist

Do you like how much tax money cigarettes put into the hands of the current regime in the U.S., HMLT? Cuz it's a lot of money.

N

nomadologist

Maybe the poll should be:

Who's more righteous?

a) nicotine junkies

b) speed freaks

c) skag addicts

d) stimulant fiends

e) compulsive net surfers

N

nomadologist

Because I know in a poll that asked:

Which drug is the most likely to cause cancer?

a) heroin

b) cocaine

c) marijuana

d) amphetamines

e) tobacco

The answer would most certainly be "e."

Because I know in a poll that asked:

Which drug is the most likely to cause cancer?

a) heroin

b) cocaine

c) marijuana

d) amphetamines

e) tobacco

The answer would most certainly be "e."

You're a bit slow tonight, Nomad. The poll above is a joke, a response to the ludicrous poll Zhou put up on 'D R U G S' last week, remember? the one you were so eager to defend?

So you're in favour of banning drugs on the basis of their associated medical risks? Presumably, then, you're totally in favour of banning all drugs, especially heroin. But you want them legalized too of course ... Charming.

N

nomadologist

I never defended the poll as such (if you'll go back, you'll see I admitted it was silly), the only thing I defended was mine and other poster's messages written in good faith, stories about experiences, against the railing accusation that everyone who does drugs and/or admits it is somehow evil and has given themselves a "chemical death sentence."

N

nomadologist

I am certainly in favor of banning heroin across the board with tight regulations--in fact, I would prefer if there were much tighter regulations than there are now) on medical use and distribution.

The only illegal drug that I believe it would be overall beneficial judicially to legalize would be marijuana. Too many people are given permanent records and felonies that ruin their lives based on childhood indiscretions based on the use or sale of what is medically known to be a perfectly harmless substance.

john eden

male pale and stale
You're completely sidestepping the point, John: your 'argument' in the smoking-ban thread is even much more ridiculous than someone demanding the banning of all cars, buses, motor vehicles, not for their contribution to greenhouse gases, but because you might be injured or killed by one of them. We can't have nasty, dangerous motor vehicles threatening your precious rights whenever you go for a stroll, can we?

It depends entirely on whether you think that passive smoking can be hazardous to workers, in general, not me personally. If someone does believe that (and we can discuss it) then the legislation is identical in intent to the laws protecting workers against other hazardous materials such as asbestos or carbon monoxide. You are presumably aware that much of the campaigning in the ROI for the ban came from trade unions?

I've gone to various events since the ban where smoking has taken place so I don't think your characterisation of me as a prissy self-centred egoist are all that accurate.

Perhaps the ban is "ridiculous", but it has happened. Reducing the use of cars is "ridiculous" as well, as are many things that I would like to see. Demanding "the impossible" and all that...

zhao

there are no accidents
what? my original d r u g s poll was imperfect?!?! god damn it! how could this have happened?? i will check with the team of MIT bio-chemists and neurologists that I hired to come up with it and get back to you with an explanation shortly.

prolly not high on your list at the moment, but have you ever even heard of this thing called "having fun"?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I get the feeling if I don't answer this question correctly then a bomb will go off in a children's playground or something, thus I say "All of the above! I enjoy smoking in ALL venues!". HA! Foiled you, evil villain.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Dragged this from dominic's post in the other thread, beautiful:

but whatever, do we really want to live in a society where "health" is the highest good? i would much prefer a society that values ambiguity, sophistication, a pinch of dirt and an ounce of poison

Health&safety, particularly the grim specter of cancer, is as pernicious a disciplinary regime as exists in the west. Reducing bodies to machines that need to function economically -- "Can't let them let themselves get sick, they won't make it to work and they'll run up medical bills" -- fuck that line of thinking. With smoking now a "social danger" everyone will know who shows insufficient deference to the dictatorship of gov't sponsored experts. "They came for the junkies, but I didn't speak up because I didn't use heroin. Then they came for the smokers, the fatties, the people who didn't eat all the vegetables on their plate, the people not popping pills of this season's fad vitamin/herbal supplement..." Well, maybe they won't come for you, but they will fire you and kick you out of the hospital (which means no insurance for you in this country).

My mother works for a company that regularly tests for NICOTINE (they fire you if you smoke) -- they also force employees to go to the gym or they charge them more for health insurance. Disgusting. We already devote more than enough of our lives to our jobs.

zhao

there are no accidents
but whatever, do we really want to live in a society where "health" is the highest good? i would much prefer a society that values ambiguity, sophistication, a pinch of dirt and an ounce of poison

this position is steeped in romanticised delusion from where Im standing.

capitalism does NOT want you to be healthy, autonomous, and self reliant.

capitalism wants each everyone of us addicted, dependent, both pyschologicaly weak and physically unfit.

capitalism projects the ideals of beauty and fitness in the media, and at the same time promotes garbage-food and extremely unhealthy consumption based lifestyle. the 2 work together: one as unattainable fantasy which induces guilt and low self esteem, and when you feel like shit compared to perfectly toned bodies on TV, you resort to the patterns of addiction, sit in front of the TV and inhale a giant burger to feel better.

capitalism wants each and everyone of us unsatisfied, lonely, feeling like shit, and simultaneously forced to project an image of perfect health and problems-free sociability.

this is the real dynamic.

because if we were truly healthy and functional, capitalism would have no power over us.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
this position is steeped in romanticised delusion from where Im standing.

capitalism does NOT want you to be healthy, autonomous, and self reliant.

capitalism wants each everyone of us addicted, dependent, both pyschologicaly weak and physically unfit.

capitalism projects the ideals of beauty and fitness in the media, and at the same time promotes garbage-food and extremely unhealthy consumption based lifestyle. the 2 work together: one as unattainable fantasy which induces guilt and low self esteem, and when you feel like shit compared to perfectly toned bodies on TV, you resort to the patterns of addiction, sit in front of the TV and inhale a giant burger to feel better.

capitalism wants each and everyone of us unsatisfied, lonely, feeling like shit, and simultaneously forced to project an image of perfect health and problems-free sociability.

this is the real dynamic.

because if we were truly healthy and functional, capitalism would have no power over us.

Right, but how do you disentangle "health" the image of it as purchase-able via addiction-weakness-marketing and some unmediated actuality of organic "real" well-being?
The actual solution is to find some way out of the whole perverted binary system, which you have pinpointed correctly as being essentially about creating solipsistic addiction/depression states.
The key then being to literally not care either way-- the easiest way to eat more healthily is to stop obsessing about food altogether, so many women I know turn food into some kind of neurotic battleground of guilt and regret... which actually renders it harder for them to stop thinking about and actually eat a balanced productive diet.

Last edited: