99p

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When are we going to give up the pointless practice of pricing things at £X.99? Does it really fool anyone that they're paying closer to £X than £(X+1)? Or should the BoE just adopt the Monster Raving Looney policy of introducing a 99p coin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99p

Also, has anyone else noticed that Sainsbury seems to have decided that the precise optimum price for a CD is £9.77? I wonder how they arrived at that figure...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought that the original introduction of prices one p shy of the pound was so that the till person would need to open the till and get change and thus record the transaction. That is, it made it more difficult for the cashier to just put the money in his/her pocket and rip-off the owner of the shop.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I've heard that too. Nothing to stop the would-be dishonest cashier from carrying a pocket full of one pees, though. Although it would presumably be a lot more obivous to the customer.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
it means that you - if you want it to, through the coin-collecting device often found near shop tills- can give 1% of your spending to charity.

Lichen

What this arcance pricing practice reveals is that nothing we pay for is worth what we pay for it. Its pricing is arbitary.

I'm also struck by the fact that by far the most expensive any of us will every buy - a home - is almost the only thing we buy without a price ticket on it. We're happy to haggle over a house but not an apple, a cardigan or a bag.

Leo

part of it might be for psychological reasons: for example, on two similar items, i might pass on something costing $5. but consider it at $4.99. seeing the lower dollar registers in my brain and motivates consideration.

Lichen

Not against the law, but futile in most cases, I would of thought.

"So, you're Dwayne. OK Dwayne, I'm not sureI like the price of these bagged parsnips. Let's start at, I dunno, 60p and take it from there"

Dwayne stabs frantically at under-till button and summons poker-faced supervisor...