External hard drives...

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
I'm looking to get an external hard drive to back up my iTunes library...Found a couple on amazon for as little as £70, though apparently these are not trustworthy.
Also, heard complaints that once your music library is transferred to the hard drive iTunes is unable to find the files...I thought the hard drive hosted copies of your files? If anybody has any advice on this it'd be much appreciated!

ether

all you should need to do is copy over your itunes and change the location of your itunes library in preferences/advanced/general. dialouge, located in the itunes preferences menu. you can also create an archive of your itunes if you worried about loosing anything.

regarding hardrives, Lacie seem to be the industry standard for archiving audio and video files, worth spending an extra 30quid to get something reliable, that said i did drop kick mine across the room a few months back and lost every sample project file and track ive ever made and my whole itunes library....ouch.

but the upside was it did come with a 3 year warranty. shame its not clumsy oaf proof.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Get this , if you're struggling with the overload of choice. Have got Western Digital before, and had zero problems. Plus this one is ridiculously pocket sized and works off a USB cable only. Basically a 120GB flash drive.

nomos

Administrator
i recently put one together using a Vantec Nexstar 3 USB+Firewire case and a 500 Gb Western Digital drive. it was easy to snap together, the drive itself came with a 5 year warranty, and it was quite inexpensive.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I got a Maxtor 300Gb USB / Firewire from DABS for the wife. Has that one-button back up thing. Quite good but doesn't power down automatically.

I'd have gone for a Lacie if Dabs had had it in stock at the time.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I recommend the Freecom external drives. I'm using the 750gb and 400gb versions for my FLAC rips, had no problems, one of them has been running every day for a year now.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
+1 for Freecom.

Currently using a 500GB model - it's on 24/7 (I have a UPS, otherwise I wouldn't risk it), and has worked impeccably so far.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I use the Lacie ones and never had a problem, the stand-up ones seem to be the VJ hardrives of choice, they're built like tanks. I'm always a bit wary of moving harddrives anywhere, it seems like asking for trouble.

zhao

there are no accidents
i had some problems with lacie before. but it was prolly just coincadinks. my favorite are the slick black western Digital 160 GB ones.

Seagate has a mini tower thing for home use which is 500 GB and in berlin they sell it for 100 euros...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
We use Maxtor One Touch for very heavy use (cos they are as cheap as chips), streaming broadcast video back and forth - we have seven chained together but we have lost two of them in 3 years but they do take a lot of stick.

Only downside we've found is the heat they kick out, often making them too hot to handle.