Londoners! Shop suspicious photographers to the police

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Every time I see one of those CCTV cameras on a building I suspect it is being used to intimidate the public. I applaud this move and I think everyone should make it their business to report one of these things every time they see one.

I can also certainly see how it would be absolutely key for bus and train bombers to take pictures of their targets, I mean you wouldn't want to blow up the number 17 when you were supposed to hit the 83.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Gah, it's like those announcements on the tube: "IF YOU SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS, TELL A POLICE OFFICER OR MEMBER OF UNDERGROUND STAFF IMMEDIATELY...." - hmm, well that businessman's wearing a wedding ring but there's no way he's married to that lass he's chatting up, SOUND THE MOTHERFUCKING ALARMS!!!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend got stopped and questioned by the police when going for a walk by the river and taking photos.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Did you see the chap who got surrounded by armed police when he got off the bus on the way home the other week?

A concerned member of the public had mistaken his phone/mp3 player for a gun.

ripley

2314226403_7847785373_o.jpg

2315038748_81c43b994f_o.jpg

lots more linked from here

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/05/remixing-the-london.html

bassnation

the abyss
Gah, it's like those announcements on the tube: "IF YOU SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS, TELL A POLICE OFFICER OR MEMBER OF UNDERGROUND STAFF IMMEDIATELY...." - hmm, well that businessman's wearing a wedding ring but there's no way he's married to that lass he's chatting up, SOUND THE MOTHERFUCKING ALARMS!!!

yep, if i reported every suspicious thing i see in london i'd basically be on the phone 24 hours a day, and are they gonna pay my fucking phone bill? i don't think so.

monkeysblood

born to cry
There's a radio campaign encouraging the mass snitching too.
I forget the script but it boiled my piss anyway (Think it may have been on Heart FM, which they listen to at work - so it didn't take much :mad:).

Jaie Miller

on the real, real talk ok, i was on my way home like from soho or some shit, and there was a guy with a camera, an i was like, you aint a photographer, that i could tell...I used to walk with a camera and got stopped taking photos of Lloyds building with my uncle but for the most part i think, suspect everyone.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This doesn't quite fit in this thread, but it's related and I couldn't be arsed starting a new once:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7681743.stm

Army scientists 'deployed in UK'

Scientists from Porton Down* have been deployed in the UK a "number of times this year", the government's head of counter-terrorism has told MPs.

But...

Brigadier Chip Chapman told a committee of MPs he could not go into details for national security reasons.

Isn't this then just a massive case of "I know something you don't know, ner ner-ner ner-ner!"? If they can't tell us any details, why tell us about it all? Unless it was released just to, you know, scare the shit out of everyone.

I'm not sure I trust Brigadier Chip Chapman - if that is his real name - as far as I could throw him. Fucking 'Chip', indeed - is he Biggles's bumchum or something?

*for non-Brits: big military lab in the UK for research into - and, historically, development of - nuke/chem/bio weapons

vimothy

yurp
Obviously I know absolutely nothing about this case, but it's not too hard to think of very good reasons for not wanting to make infomation like this public in ongoing counterterrorism operations.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Obviously I know absolutely nothing about this case, but it's not too hard to think of very good reasons for not wanting to make infomation like this public in ongoing counterterrorism operations.

I understand that, of course, but it wasn't what I was getting at - my point was, if he can't tell us anything about some 'incidents' other than 'some incidents occurred', what's the point in even telling us that? It's just going to panic people. There's fuck all any of us can do about it, and in the unthinkable event that some serious shit of this sort actually goes down, no-one's going to be protected simply by having been worried all along. It's just scaremongering.