H P Lovecraft

forclosure

I did have a moment a few years back where he was on my radar everywhere I went (eg Moore, who I still keep up to date with on almost everything he does, also that Richard Stanley film that someone I know was trying to work on, the interest in some tree shapes, some other mentions I cannot remember now, maybe D&G?) so I made a concerted effort with a story but never went further. I think it's the overt ghostness/weird supernatural creature element that I cannot really take. And I know it's not really about that so much as the terror of it. But it felt a little out of my bounds of believability as in I was unable to get on board.

But if you or tea tell me a single one to read, I will have a go and try to give a clear reflection as per what I've been doing with aickman.

One thing that happened is I got sidetracked early on by Machen who I now really love.
yknow what give The Music of Erich Zann a try either that or the Shadow over Innsmouth

forclosure

@WebEschatology Howard is an interesting case, because he was of Irish descent at a time when they faced a lot of prejudice from WASP types in America, and were even regarded as being not quite 'proper' white people in the racial pseudoscience of the era, so his racism comes from a somewhat different place than HPL's.

He was also something of an incel, I think - very close relationship with his mother, to the extend that he killed himself after she died - and, reading between the lines in a lot of his stories (which are drenched in sex, in total contrast to HPL), I think he was probably bi, with all the self-loathing that would come along with that in an intensely homophobic society.

Lovecraft, of course, was very much a volcel outside of his brief marriage to Sonia Green, what with being about 95% asexual.
Not only that but he also grew up in Texas around the time their oil industry was going boom and bust in rapid succession

i mean i think its silly to call him an "Incel" all that "incel/volcel" stuff is a just a new name given to a old old phenomena no difference to all these wastemen who whine about cancel culture who not that long ago were talking about the threat of political correctness

forclosure

@Mr. Tea you should watch The Whole Wide World with Rene Zelwegger and Vincent D'nofrio, not a bad movie
i'm not a fan of this kind of speculation and i don't know if i'd go as far to as to say he was bisexual, but he definitly had some kind of internal issues going on whether it was sexuality or mental health or WHATEVER

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@Mr. Tea you should watch The Whole Wide World with Rene Zelwegger and Vincent D'nofrio, not a bad movie
i'm not a fan of this kind of speculation and i don't know if i'd go as far to as to say he was bisexual, but he definitly had some kind of internal issues going on whether it was sexuality or mental health or WHATEVER
I was just extrapolating from the fact that, AFAIR from the collection of stories I read, for every description of heaving bosoms there was one of gleaming, sweat-dewed pecs or biceps, etc. etc.

Edit: I wasn't trying to fit him into a modern ideological category with the incel comment. I just meant that, AFAIK, he didn't have much success with women, despite fairly obviously having a sex drive - in contrast to Lovecraft, who just wasn't really interested at all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
doesn't seem the most balanced of games, a guy who tears apart mammoths with his bare hands vs sickly dude who shits himself if someone taps on his window... come on...
Yeah but HPL can call upon nameless monstrosities from beyond time and space to come and give him a hand.

william_kent

I like the concept though.. published authors duke it out

once on a visit to my brother my sister in law announced that her friend had written a book, could I read it and let her know what is was like so she could report back to the author...

who turned out to be

1661370925358.png

One Eyed Baz

I'd pay to see Hemmingway vs Baz, but unfortunately they're both dead now, so it'd be a bit of a dull match...

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Baz was an authentic problem if you went to see anyone against Brum and Zulus got wind of your presence, lethal firm

Birmingham City v Forest is always spicy but here’s investigative reporter Daniel Dyer with an undercover report

william_kent

Baz was an authentic problem if you went to see anyone against Brum and Zulus got wind of your presence, lethal firm

Birmingham City v Forest is always spicy but here’s investigative reporter Daniel Dyer with an undercover report

on the same visit my sister in law pulled out her phone and said "oh look, my friend is in Vegas, he's just met Mike Tyson" and then showed a photo of "Big Bird" and Tyson.. who looked like a cute puppy in comparison to the zulu warrior..

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched the second episode of Del Toro's "Cabinet of Curiosities" thing last night. The first episode was shit but the second one ends in a pleasingly gruesome way and without spoiling anything is HEAVY on the Lovecraft.