uk rock versus us rock

STN

sou'wester
I don't really think of nationality in rock for some reason. I don't know why this is, as far as I can see the obsession with authenticity appears just as much in rock as in any other genre (if not more).

I'm sure if Gene Simmons were here he would tell us that that was the beauty of the universal language of rock n roooooll, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

does anyone know if the following bands rock or not?

Leafhound
Sir Lord Baltimore
Blue Cheer (I have heard their first album and it's crap).

STN

sou'wester
I propose a kind of double-entry (quieeeeeeet!) accounting system - so the UK and US should be penalised for Ocean Colour Scene and Hootie and the Blowfish respectively.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Hawkwind definitely deserve a mention for rocking but in a very English way. As do Iron Maiden. Motorhead = very rock, but want to be American.

I suppose Def Leppard is out of the question.

Benny Bunter

does anyone know if the following bands rock or not?

Sir Lord Baltimore
Blue Cheer (I have heard their first album and it's crap).

Two bands I checked out after hearing Julian Cope rant on about them so much.

They're absolutely shit :eek:

mos dan

fact music
I can't help but think of Mogwai when I read this: a band who, while in some ways are very un-rock (I can't quite bring myself to say 'post-rock') in other ways crank everything all the way up to 11 - in between the quiet bits, obviously - and rock like total bastards.

you haven't, ahem, rocked til you've heard mogwai fear satan at close quarters. i second the nomination of cream, also.

who knows about budgie's 'breadfan'??

can anyone uk post-1990 beat nirvana though? i thought million dead, the first idlewild ep, and some of ikara colt's stuff was quite good as a teenager, but british rock has been a bit fragmented since the golden age, has it not?