Dedicated MP3 player

Client Eastwood

i've been playing mp3s from a iriver 340 connected directly to an amp. but it's time for a change. i'm looking for a dedicated mp3 player that can connect to an amp with a built in hard drive, remote control and a screen. sort of like this
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html

but the above is far too expensive and it streams over a wireless network.

has anyone got any pointers ?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the new nanos are actually wicked

really good battery life, the biggest amount of storage (8gb) on flash memory (which is important, no hard drive failures or skippage, ever) i've ever had, sound seems OK and it's pretty.

I dunno if it's what you're after but unless you really need a huge amount of storage stay away from hard drive players, cos they'll break.

Pangaea

I dunno if it's what you're after but unless you really need a huge amount of storage stay away from hard drive players, cos they'll break.

dunno about that, only if you shake it about like a loon. although flash is clearly the best option for a portable player

do stand-alone mp3 'hifi-style' units exist? maybe something with user-replaceable hard drives or something you can connect external HDs to? it would be nice to access 500GB+ of audio without having to have the PC on