Hizballah invades Lebanon

polystyle

Sure Vimothy, anyone with an interest in the larger world has to or should be be concerned
and it seems the media caught up a bit after the sneaking coup actions.
The greater Shiite vs Sunni battles into creeping war into all out war ?

We've seen end of cold war, 9/11, London & Spain bombings, Iraq Senso 1 & 2 and this feels like another large page turning while we watch from a distance.
It may not knock on any Dissensians doors directly ( or it may I dunno, please join in if you are out there among the 5000 plus) but it's building towards something.
Possibly a big 'something'.

vimothy

yurp
Despite those very good NYT & WaPo articles, not sure how "sectarian" the conflict has been up to now. Seems to divide in the first instance along M14 (pro-government) vs M8 (pro-opposition) lines. The danger, represented by the Hizb's failure in the Chouf, is that the conflict will fracture along increasingly sectarian lines.

I mean, of course Hariri's "militia" failed. They are barely trained security guards fighting for a bit of cash. No match for Nasrallah's highly trained, equipped and motivated fighters, fresh from humiliating the IDF last summer. It's clear who has the power in Lebanon now. I wonder how that makes Sunni/Druze/Maronites feel, even if nominally allied with Hizballah. Probably not good. Probably going to see increased Saudi aid and maybe some Salafist blowback from Iraq. Iran vs SA. Lebanon in the middle. Shit.

And we've not even touched the very good reason for being pissed off with M14, and with M8 for that matter: Lebanese godfather-style politics. I think it's unarguable that US policy has failed Lebanon. Is there a better alternative?

crackerjack

It would be weird if the conflict took on an extremely sectarian character since Iran's other local client (Hamas) is Sunni. Or is this overstating the connections between Tehran and Gaza?

crackerjack

I think it's unarguable that US policy has failed Lebanon. Is there a better alternative?

No war but class war ;)

Lebanese politics is borderline feudal. What hope is there when it's arranged along those lines, with an added does of external shit-stirring.

vimothy

yurp
It would be weird if the conflict took on an extremely sectarian character since Iran's other local client (Hamas) is Sunni. Or is this overstating the connections between Tehran and Gaza?

Not overstating the connections per se, IMHO, but it's necessary to recognise the dynamic internal to Lebanon, where, like you say, there is a fuedal war-lord system mixed with nascent democratic institutions, which easily breaks down along sectarian lines. It's not that it's in the interests of Tehran (or Washington) to fracture Lebanon according to sect, but it may be the case that this is the unavoidable outcome of pitting north against south, or the mostly-Shia oppositional majority against mostly-Sunni/whoever "ruling" minority.
Lebanese politics is borderline feudal. What hope is there when it's arranged along those lines, with an added does of external shit-stirring.

Indeed... v. depressing.

vimothy

yurp
Didn't think this would ever happen:

art.swap2.ap.jpg

I can't understand why Israel would even make this trade. Weird.

EDIT: Those with a strong stomach can watch to see what sort of a welcome he recieves when he gets home...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
NO other place deifies common thugs like the Middle East, unless you talk about Ireland!

I'd be more than happy to see this fat-prick return to 'liberate Palestine'..I have absolutly not doubt the IDF would liquitate his fat arse back to Allah, though the fragments of his uselss body will more than likely be washed down to the Gaza strip sewage system!

These stupid losers still don't understand the street truth that you don't pick fights with someone who is tougher than you. Don't start crying it's 'political' when you get yr face smashed.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Well said the WaPo:

If anyone ever deserved the title "baby-killer," it is Samir Kuntar. Yet his freedom has been a popular demand in Lebanon and the cause of Lebanon-based gunslingers for almost three decades. Abbas's gang hijacked the Achille Lauro in 1985 in a failed effort to win Mr. Kuntar's release. After Abbas faded into semi-retirement in Saddam Hussein's Baghdad, Hezbollah took up the Kuntar cause, attempting to get Israel to swap him for bodies of Israelis killed in Hezbollah raids.

Great changes must take place across the Middle East before a lasting peace can be achieved. Israel must make territorial compromises and foster a dignified future for the Palestinians. But attitudes among Israel's enemies must be transformed as well. A good place to start would be to declare that people such as Samir Kuntar deserve to rot in prison, no matter what the religion or nationality of the children they kill.​

vimothy

yurp
Calm restored for now:

Meanwhile, the Lebanese Army restored calm in the northern port city after nine people were killed in deadly clashes, which sent 2,000 families fleeing to safer areas, a security official said on Sunday.

"Calm has been restored in Tripoli and no gunfire or firing of rockets has been recorded since 5 p.m. on Saturday," the official told AFP, asking not to be identified.

All through Friday night, militants from the rival Sunni Muslim and Alawite communities battled with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons in the latest violence to rock the Mediterranean city.

Bab al-Tebbaneh is a stronghold of the anti-Syrian parliamentary majority while the inhabitants of Jabal Mohsen mainly support the parliamentary opposition led by Hizbullah.​

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if for their next trick, the Hezb are going to get Lebanese prisoners back from Syria...

vimothy

yurp
I wonder how that makes Sunni/Druze/Maronites feel, even if nominally allied with Hizballah. Probably not good. Probably going to see increased Saudi aid and maybe some Salafist blowback from Iraq. Iran vs SA. Lebanon in the middle. Shit.

It's coming.

Oh yeah, and check this shit out. Is this just what happens to your kids when you're a religious nut? Well deserved anyway.