Politician with some principles?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It seems to me that you could make all the same arguments about finger prints."
No-one is arguing against dna use, they are arguing against a pre-emptive dna database in which the dna of every person, innocent or otherwise is stored. As far as I know there is no equivalent database of fingerprints and if one were proposed I think there would be the same resistance wouldn't there?

crackerjack

No-one is arguing against dna use, they are arguing against a pre-emptive dna database in which the dna of every person, innocent or otherwise is stored. As far as I know there is no equivalent database of fingerprints and if one were proposed I think there would be the same resistance wouldn't there?

There is when you go into the US of A these days - fingerprints of holidaymakers are routinely logged at customs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There is when you go into the US of A these days - fingerprints of holidaymakers are routinely logged at customs."
Yeah, but my point still stands - the reason no-one in this country is complaining about the national fingerprint database in the way that they complain about the mooted national dna database is 'cause there isn't one.

"Nope, it just means the collection of personal data of innocent people is already under way and protests agains the security state less widespread than might be imagined."
Yeah but as a uk citizen protesting about the way the us guards its borders is even more pointless than protesting about the way the uk is run.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can't help feeling there's some kinda retribrutive justice in that

Heh, live by the pun, die by the pun, I suppose. :)

Nope, it just means the collection of personal data of innocent people is already under way and protests agains the security state less widespread than might be imagined.

Well it's done by the American government when you enter America, so I guess it's up to them to set the rules concerning entry to their country, and if you don't like them you can just not go. Compulsory DNA (or, for that matter, fingerprint) databasing of British citizens is quite another thing altogether.