Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Detroit - the myth

the nuum reverence is worse than the detroit one and thats saying something cause it takes some guts to excel old aging deep house dads. worse in that it is hyper-intellectual whereas most people who are detroit purists are just old white guys.

i don't mind hyperintellectualism but only I'm allowed to do it because I have style and didn't lose my virginity to pendulum propane nightmares or the XX or the mars volta.

original of renegade snares (not foul play version) if you're asking.
    Last edited by thirdform; 14-02-2020 at 01:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I have half a theory that the reverence for Detroit is in part due to and sustained by unresolved daddy issues

You see interviews with say Theo Parrish, Moodymann or Derrick may and there's something very parental about them. Telling us how it was in the olden days, how we need to buckle down and get serious. That the youngsters with their mp3s and Instagrams are doing it all wrong. Self consciously presented as they the teachers, we the students. Avuncular, but strict on the things that matter.

I don't mind any of that really as long as everyone just admits that they wish Mad Mike was their dad

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon silverdollarcircle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    the nuum reverence is worse than the detroit one and thats saying something cause it takes some guts to excel old aging deep house dads. worse in that it is hyper-intellectual whereas most people who are detroit purists are just old white guys.

i don't mind hyperintellectualism but only I'm allowed to do it because I have style and didn't lose my virginity to pendulum propane nightmares or the XX or the mars volta.

original of renegade snares (not foul play version) if you're asking.
    best post i have written on this forum.
    I respect islamists

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

do you guys think that derrick may is a fraud?

Nah I think he's a genius. Lots of his music I can't understand how anyone could make anything so good.

I also like how he's done with making music now. There's something admirable about stopping when you're at yr peak

i keep hearing bad stories about him somehow. keeps popping up. keeps returning.

Oh really what stories?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    do you guys think that derrick may is a fraud?

maybe. but who cares honestly. Goldie didn't write most of his music by himself did he. still his artistic vision (for a while) was genius.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by Simon silverdollarcircle View Post
    Oh really what stories?
    Oh sorry I just watched the video. Didn't check that initially

I'm fairly sceptical about the claim that he just nicked stuff. It doesn't really explain why everything (almost) that has his name on it is so good. He's the common factor, and his tracks are generally much superior to those from people he supposedly stole stuff from

He's the Led Zeppelin of techno
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i keep hearing bad stories about him somehow. keeps popping up. keeps returning.

more info here https://www.discogs.com/Thomas-Barne...release/109013
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

It would be great if he didn't write any of it though and has spent the past 30 years pretending to be a genius. I'd love that actually

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon silverdollarcircle For This Useful Post:

I've always wondered if may stopped making tracks because he wanted to go out on top and concentrate in DJin, or if he was struck with anxiety and creative paralysis after receiving unanimous worldwide praise for "strings of life". knowing he'd never top it could have prompted him to become too scared to try.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...ew-derrick-may

This is an interesting (and long) interview with derrick may. I didn't realise before I read it just how much the early days of techno was a upper middle class trendy scene. Hipster kids with a lot of money, mashing together these new dance styles from across the globe...if dissensus had been around then we'd have hated it!

"The high school scene was amazing. All the young high school kids would dress really nice. You had guys wearing Polo and Versace, all this kind of ridiculous stuff, in high school. It was amazing how much money these parties were making. People were charging $25 to get in.

Even back then?

I could pull out some old flyers and prove it. 25 bucks, it was seriously like that.

So where were these kids getting their money?

Itís important to keep in mind that Juan, Kevin and myself come from middle class, upper middle class families. Most of the people we associated with were upper middle class to very rich black people"