Detroit - the myth

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
High Tech Soul: The Creation of Techno Music

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip..._byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip..._byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="">High Tech Soul: The Creation of Techno Music</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user486570">Plexifilm</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

mms

sometimes
i'm going to see theo parrish tonight and i don't expect monochrome, wishy washy strings, basic channel copyists or anything like that.

Client Eastwood

^^ Nice one Jambo. Ive seen a doc called High Tech Soul a few years ago but the one above seems different looking at the first 10 mins or so. I'll take a look at home.

The recent Theo Parrish CD is pretty good, real murky house but its mostly old material.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
It might be the same doc with some new footage. The Derrick May interview seems a bit older but Richie Hawtin has hair, for instance. ;)

luka

how come london doesn't have a myth like detroit techno and new york hiphop? thats my favourite city for music over the last almost 20 years by a long way. i think london kills it.

Good question young Luka

sadmanbarty

the nuum's finally starting to get that mythos i think. i presume it's revered by all godlsmiths people.

burial was playing around with its mythology

luka

the nuum's finally starting to get that mythos i think. i presume it's revered by all godlsmiths people.

burial was playing around with its mythology

Problem is reverence never helps. A tradition of innovation helps. Not reverence for past achievements.

sadmanbarty

Problem is reverence never helps. A tradition of innovation helps. Not reverence for past achievements.

but it's being revered from a whole separate group of people form the ones we'd want to making this music.

none of my mates for example have any regard for the hardcore continuum whatsoever. its got very little to do with them. a few novelty grime and garage hits when they were little. uk funky was a funny fad in year 9 and that's it.

luka

but it's being revered from a whole separate group of people form the ones we'd want to making this music.

none of my mates for example have any regard for the hardcore continuum whatsoever. its got very little to do with them. a few novelty grime and garage hits when they were little. uk funky was a funny fad in year 9 and that's it.

People that read energy flash

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

blame kode nine.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the nuum reverence is worse than the detroit one and thats saying something cause it takes some guts to excel old aging deep house dads. worse in that it is hyper-intellectual whereas most people who are detroit purists are just old white guys.

i don't mind hyperintellectualism but only I'm allowed to do it because I have style and didn't lose my virginity to pendulum propane nightmares or the XX or the mars volta.

original of renegade snares (not foul play version) if you're asking.

Last edited:

Simon silverdollarcircle

I have half a theory that the reverence for Detroit is in part due to and sustained by unresolved daddy issues

You see interviews with say Theo Parrish, Moodymann or Derrick may and there's something very parental about them. Telling us how it was in the olden days, how we need to buckle down and get serious. That the youngsters with their mp3s and Instagrams are doing it all wrong. Self consciously presented as they the teachers, we the students. Avuncular, but strict on the things that matter.

I don't mind any of that really as long as everyone just admits that they wish Mad Mike was their dad

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the nuum reverence is worse than the detroit one and thats saying something cause it takes some guts to excel old aging deep house dads. worse in that it is hyper-intellectual whereas most people who are detroit purists are just old white guys.

i don't mind hyperintellectualism but only I'm allowed to do it because I have style and didn't lose my virginity to pendulum propane nightmares or the XX or the mars volta.

original of renegade snares (not foul play version) if you're asking.

best post i have written on this forum.

Simon silverdollarcircle

Nah I think he's a genius. Lots of his music I can't understand how anyone could make anything so good.

I also like how he's done with making music now. There's something admirable about stopping when you're at yr peak