mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Then they refer to the Belgian Sensation, which is the Belgian version of Gathering of the Juggalos.

Is it a Christian event as well? It feels like a Christian event.

And yes, Rich, it's real. Here's two hours of it for you :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z-NnLhkoSSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I ended up at an event very similar to this once, someone bought me a ticket. It was possibly the most alienating, profoundly disturbing experience I've ever had, and I was on really good E. A whole bunch of us went, and we were all too scared to go "This is really shit, isn't it?" until after about 3 hours one of us cracked and just went "I can't take this anymore, I'm going NOW, who's coming?" and all of us fled except the guy who bought us the tickets. Ended up back at my place playing the Spacemen 3 really loudly exorcise the experience. Horrible.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just from the pictures, the whole thing seems to have an almost...Scientological vibe to it? Maybe it's the all-white clothes - makes me think of some creepy-ass New Age cult that ends up in a mass suicide because of a comet or the Mayan calendar.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ooh, two hours worth - I'll have to make time for that!
I like this mythical "Europe" which is constantly referred to where everything is sophisticated and cool. I guess they meant the continent rather than the UK but still...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's a bit like James Cameron's Avatar I think. Such mega events really have a weird touch. I remember I was once going to a concert in Rotterdam and I was in this new subway station which really looked like a scifi set. Here's how the entrance looks like:

1055-625-417.jpg

It was in the middle of the night and it was winter so there weren't a lot of people but some stops away there was a mega gabber event so this entrance was flocked with people looking like this:

gabbers.jpg

Except they looked more angry. Anyway It really made me feel like being in this dystopian science fiction film, it was a most remarkable experience, too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, two hours worth - I'll have to make time for that!
I like this mythical "Europe" which is constantly referred to where everything is sophisticated and cool. I guess they meant the continent rather than the UK but still...

In my (admittedly not superabundant) experience, much of continental Europe is pretty much a black hole as far as good music goes. Certainly anything on the dance-y side...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
In my (admittedly not superabundant) experience, much of continental Europe is pretty much a black hole as far as good music goes. Certainly anything on the dance-y side...

Definitely. There's some house here, and some techno there but it's all very sparse. Nothing compared to cities such as London or Bristol. Why do you think it is like this? Are people less musical here?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dunno. Less of a West Indian influence, perhaps? When you think about how so much British dance music is derived, one way or another, from reggae/dancehall/dub...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yea that makes sense. I also think the public broadcasting system in England is of a way higher standard than those in Europe (or at least in the Netherlands). There's no thing like the BBC here, not to mention pirate radio which is non-existing. There's like 10 radio stations here and they all play the same: Coldplay, Keane, Maroon5, it's terrible. There's no John Peel or Gilles Peterson here. Such a pitty. I wonder what I would've ended up listening if it wasn't for the internet.

4linehaiku

Repetitive

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z-NnLhkoSSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fucking hell.

Just watched a bit of the video, and the weird MC voiceover woman (why is this stuff always in English anyway if it's in Belgium or wherever?) drew for "We are the full manifestation of who we really are", "we are radiant beings", "let's connect our energy to the collective consciousness". It really is so so culty and weird. And then it's straight back into the misc tech-house. Presumably everyone's just there to get laid?

I don't get it.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Ok now there's a tech house remix of some woman crooning over a strummed acoustic guitar and there's not even any mixing jesus christ and it's back into the cult voiceover. I can't take this any more of this. This is a perfect storm of everything I don't want. Mistersloane 3 hours must have felt like an eternity.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
PBIMMCTM: I'm reviewing a software document that mentions what should happen after a "fatal call to drive" - makes me think of Princess Di saying "Oh man, I'm shitfaced - come on Pierre, take us back to the hotel".

mistersloane

Ok now there's a tech house remix of some woman crooning over a strummed acoustic guitar and there's not even any mixing jesus christ and it's back into the cult voiceover. I can't take this any more of this. This is a perfect storm of everything I don't want. Mistersloane 3 hours must have felt like an eternity.

The thing I went to wasn't as...good...as that stuff, it was more normative but with just as much pressure and just as weird an atmosphere. All white as well. I think they're Christians. They're the only ones who could do something so wrong, so much of a trope without a substance, understanding the form but not the substance, born agains I reckon. There's alot of covert Christianity about.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've got this image of everyone bringing their own crucifixes, being nailed to them and just hanging there watching hours of this music. Thousands of people hanging on crosses knowing this is as good as it gets...

Then it breaks into a stadium-trance version of Eric Idle's 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'.

mistersloane

I've got this image of everyone bringing their own crucifixes, being nailed to them and just hanging there watching hours of this music. Thousands of people hanging on crosses knowing this is as good as it gets...

That kinda sounds like fun. Catholic raves! At least there would be blood and pain.

These guys are just about the anodyne-ing of everything.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is it a Christian event as well? It feels like a Christian event.

And yes, Rich, it's real. Here's two hours of it for you :

Holy shit, I just clicked to a random point and got a bunch of idiotically grinning High Priestesses (who I'm sure don't have the excuse of actually being high) releasing some burning globe things that slowly ascend into the air, with a voiceover about how "we are all of one heart". Ca. 17:00 if you're interested.

It's like Avatar only worse because you know it's not CGI. Jim, how the fuck did you put up with that for 3 HOURS? :eek:

Last edited: