Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLUHAN

Default McLUHAN

Shiels is rereading Understanding Media.

"At the moment of Sputnik the planet became a global theatre in which there are no spectators but only actors"

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Hmm
    This isn't a thread to pursue a weird personal vendetta. Those are not my quotes as anyone with half a wit could tell you.

I use raw quotes from the Internet not because I endorse their message but because they work as Windows onto the world. You can see the same thing in the social engineering thread where I quote, without comment, the tweets of mad racists.

"The Watergate affair makes it quite plain that the entire planet has become a whispering gallery, with a large portion of mankind engaged in making its living by keeping the rest of mankind under surveillance"

image.jpg

I like this approach. A slightly aggressive book club

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

Have my tatty 60s edition with me today actually. Smells good. Fuck knows what it means though

8570F43E-8785-44AA-8230-C21DC6AD6BD0.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

Have you come across this thread before Shiels?

https://www.dissensus.com/showthread...ighlight=Dobbs

Edit. Oops turns out you make a cameo appearance.
    Last edited by luka; 20-02-2020 at 11:45 AM.

I love this from war and peace in the global village
    image.jpg

The whole of a feudal economy geared towards the production of a mounted, armoured knight. Everything else being secondary to this aim.

This gives you a very clear picture of the state or polity as a war machine. An integrated whole of interlocking parts all subordinated to this overriding aim.

The distinction between visual and acoustic space owes a lot to Wyndham Lewis in Time and Western Man
    https://archive.org/stream/WyndhamLe...Book1_djvu.txt
    and Joyce's response in Finnegans Wake. (Eg the ondt and the gracehopper

Which is the subject of a brilliant grapejuice essay

https://groupnameforgrapejuice.blogs...hild-me-3.html

"all boils down to a tale of Ear and Eye, a tale of Time and Space, of Saturn and Jupiter, of Shem and Shaun. The tale is one of warring brothers, yet even this relationship and these roles are not fixed. The rival brothers -- Cain and Abel -- can also be depicted as lovers -- Eve and Adam, Binah and Chokhmah. They can also represent the Oedipal struggle between Father and Son -- Chronos and Zeus.

As Joyce realized in the Wake, though, much more is at play than just the myth of Oedipus, than just the Freudian reduction, however powerful this is. The struggle of Ear against Eye, Eye against Ear and their occasional harmony, subsumes and transcends all myths and all relations.

McLuhan puts this bluntly in The Gutenberg Galaxy (1962):

...there can be no greater contradiction or clash in human cultures than that between those representing the eye and the ear...

And this is echoed in Understanding Media (1964):

The ultimate conflict between sight and sound, between written and oral kinds of perception and organization of existence is upon us.

But, prior to McLuhan, it is most candidly proclaimed in the Wake:

TELEVISION KILLS TELEPHONY IN BROTHERS BROIL"

You can also find an attempt to explain the time-barrier.

"New environments inflict considerable pain on the perceiver... the confusion and pain created by radio in the twenties was lavishly expressed in the blues. Today, with television, a much more powerful medium, pain has created musical genres from rock to The Beatles that are exceedingly unpleasant to sensibilities earlier oriented to less demanding technological environments. Today, the blues sound like caressing nursery lullabies. Their daring and sophisticated qualities are no more apparent than are those in a Victorian waltz."

Which I think is both interesting and perceptive despite the frankly bizarre claim that the pain of the blues is due to the introduction of the radio.

This is a book I first read twenty years ago and it definitely sunk in.