sadmanbarty

He doesn't have much to say about Reggae beyond that though. Indeed anything at all. It seems to be all about Hip-Hop and R'n'B.

I've been going through the Uncle Duggs interview archive recently ( ). He always asks about what the family listened to when the guest was young and what music influenced the guest.

Of the 10 or so MC's I've listened to, every one came from a reggae/dancehall/toasting/soundsystem background, hip hop not being such a critical influence.

Of the 20-ish DJ's and producers interviewed about half mention Jamaican music and a similar amount mention hip hop and electro. Soul and rare groove on the other hand is a constant, I think every single one cited it as an influence.

I (mis?-) remember Fabio, in a different interview, saying that if you were a black boy in the 70's you were supposed to listen to social-realist, masculine reggae, but he liked girly, escapist soul. There also may be a thing where people feel a duty to signify their heritage by saying they are fans of reggae. Hence you get this tokenistic nod to Jamaican influence, but soul and other things are in actuality more important to them.

On a side note I don't agree that Ska revivalism was their main inroad into Jamaican music. In these Duggs interviews people are mentioning Steele Pulse, Coxsone, U Roy, etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
''I used to love jungle. I still think it's the ultimate genre, because the people making it weren't musicians. The best artists are people who don't consider themselves artists, and the people who do are usually the most pretentious and annoying. [laughs] They've got their priorities wrong. They're just doing it to be artists rather than because they want to do it. And a lot of jungle people were actually car mechanics and painter-and-decorator types, like, pretty hardcore blokes. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with them. I know a few people who were like that, and I don't think that really exists any more. Maybe those sort of non-musician types do some dubstep stuff, or grime. But it didn't exist in jungle for long. There was only a couple of years where people didn't know what they were doing, and you got all these samples that are just totally not related in pitch. I really hunt down those records. They've got this ridiculous mishmash of things that totally don't go with each other at all. Obviously, after they've done it for a couple of years they learn how to make chords and stuff, and it's not so interesting now.''

http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/aphex-twin/#music-from-another-planet

droid

Very tasteful - maybe too tasteful, but nice. Very glad an amen didnt come in and ruin it.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I like the atmospheres on it more than anything but I get you. Feeling the flip a lot more and im usually not a big fan of this stiff dancehallish stuff but the subs and double time bits that creep in and out are good. Would def go off if the room was heaving

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
OK, this is a bit later than jungle, but I've recently (like last weekend) did a mix of 30 tunes from the No U-Turn crew: Ed Rush, Optical, Nico, Trace, Fierce, and Dom. It's quite intense!

It's also got the approval of one Simon Reynolds, so there's that too.

Pearsall-TrulyDread(ANoU-TurnCrewSpecial).jpg

https://soundcloud.com/sonicrampage/pearsall-truly-dread-a-no-u-turn-crew-special-the-780-project-part-6

Blog link: http://sonicrampage.org/blog/2016/0...-u-turn-crew-special-the-780-project-part-6/1

Mixed in Berlin, February 2016
100% Vinyl
(92:34, 211 MB, 320 kbps MP3)

Style: A tribute to the darkside drum n' bass styles of the No U-Turn crew: Ed Rush, DJ Trace, Nico, Optical, Fierce, and Dom

Tracklisting:

01. Dom & Optical - Quadrant Six (Fierce Remix) (Audio Couture)
02. Ed Rush & Nico - Technology (No U-Turn)
03. Ed Rush & Nico - Technology (Boymerang Remix) (No U-Turn)
04. Jon The Dentist - France (DJ Trace vs Ed Rush Remix) (Tec)
05. Ed Rush - Skylab (Metalheadz)
06. Optical - The Shining (Metro)
07. Ed Rush & Optical - Slip Thru (Virus)
08. Dom & Roland - The Planets (Moving Shadow)
09. Ed Rush - Subway (Prototype)
10. Ed Rush - Check Me Out (Emotif)
11. Ed Rush - What's Up (No U-Turn)
12. Ed Rush, Nico & Fierce - Mad Different Methods (Nu Black)
13. Rollers Instinct - Haze (Emotif)
14. Bad Company & Trace - Nitrous (Bad Company)
15. Dom & Roland - The Storm (Moving Shadow)
16. Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - Alien Girl (Prototype)
17. Usual Suspects - Killa Bees (Fierce & Optical Remix) (Renegade Hardware)
18. Ed Rush & Optical - Fixation (Virus)
19. Ed Rush - Sabotage (Metalheadz)
20. Ed Rush, Trace, Fierce, Nico & Optical - Edtrafienical (Sublogic)
21. Boymerang - Still (Dom & Optical VIP Mix) (White)
22. Nico - Lo (No U-Turn)
23. Ed Rush - Defect (No U-Turn)
24. Ed Rush & Nico - Proton (No U-Turn)
25. Trace & Nico - Area 51 (Volume)
26. Genotype - Extra-Terrestrial (Dom & Roland Remix) (Renegade Hardware)
27. Dom & Roland - Thunder (Moving Shadow)
28. DJ Trace - Sonar (Ed Rush & Optical VIP) (DSCI4)
29. Bad Company & Trace - Flashback (Tumpa) (Bad Company)
30. Fortran - The End Part II (31 Records)

droid

Wel... not every last trace(!).

But agreed. I was inoculated to this in the 90's. had a terrible dose and am now allergic

droid

Everything post techsteppin' can go afaic, but NUT started out as a jungle label, and even emotif had about a year before it went bad.