Spotify

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's amazing. How to stop others from doing it though? (More to the point, how to stop ME from doing it?)

Leo

god, my social media feeds are rammed with all those fucking 2019 wrapped/decade wrapped posts. apparently I know a lot of people who've listened to a lot of shit music in the past year/decade.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Getting hassled into (check the blackmail) having a decent phone bought 'as a present'. Trapped. Said no ta, but she's like a cyborg "you leave it switched off when you're with your mates, deliberately", "you say you can't reply to emails on your work phone" and "free internet from work so why not optimise (@constant escape ) it?" . I love the piece of crap nokia. It works

Spotify Pauper edition is so ad-heavy, they've run out of puns for advertising ads with skips featured. So the cost benefit is you don't have to pay for fucking ads? Curiouser, is the offline mode legit? Why am i thinking this through when there's an mp3player and pre-amp (Brexit will nullify these EU noise limiters) and a tune library (appallingly organised @pattycakes_ )?

It creeps in from all directions, persistently, lurking, waiting, for that moment you crack and say fuck it

Leo

Spotify does make a lot of sense from a user perspective: access to a huge library of music versus what it would cost to buy all those records. but I'm a stubborn old coot who's stuck in my ways and never loved the notion of not owning. it's fine for uber/lyft, since we only use it a half dozen times a year so why own a car. but with Spotify, I always wonder: suppose my internet goes out? or they decide, once everyone is hooked and has disposed of their physical collections, to jack the price from $9.99 to 49.99, or 199.99?

I also hate on principle how they pay artists next to nothing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ethics aside it's the greatest app ever made (barring YouTube, if we're counting that as an app). I've discovered so much music through it.

But Leo points out the snag and it's something I never even think about really. As with all this stuff, the convenience of it mostly outweighs the scruples.

It'll be interesting to see if something happens to force them to pay artists more (and if that increases the subscription rate), or if the economic model for artists will continue to revolve around live dates, merchandise and funding platforms.

Because it's one of those things where there's really no putting the genie back in the bottle now. For so many people (particularly those who grew up with streaming) the idea of buying all (or any) of your music is increasingly alien.

Leo

I'll tell you one thing: moving house or apartments is surely much easier for young 'uns today without having to deal with boxes of vinyl/cds, and then worrying about where to put it all in the new place.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Youtube pulled the age verification move. No longer can I watch Burnley steam into Portsmouth‘s pub, or Russians battering proud Englishmen in Marseilles

How dare they

(glad no-one mentioned solarseek, I definitely don’t use it, ever)

boxedjoy

not to be the "my esoteric taste" guy, but there's loads of stuff that isn't on Spotify that I wish was. And it's fine for listening but I still want the physical because the way I listen to dance music (ie badly mixed on CDJs) isn't something you can do with Spotify.

Reactions: Leo

wektor

not to be the "my esoteric taste" guy, but there's loads of stuff that isn't on Spotify that I wish was. And it's fine for listening but I still want the physical because the way I listen to dance music (ie badly mixed on CDJs) isn't something you can do with Spotify.
Doesn't serato or some other emulated djing garbage run streamed audio along mp3s?

Yet, all these years in, I'm still not buying spotify's model. Their algorithms never worked for me, while, for example, Youtube can really turn out great sometimes.
Still heavily tend towards the Youtube->Discogs->Owlseek combo if anything.

Pandiculate

Doesn't serato or some other emulated djing garbage run streamed audio along mp3s?

Yet, all these years in, I'm still not buying spotify's model. Their algorithms never worked for me, while, for example, Youtube can really turn out great sometimes.
Still heavily tend towards the Youtube->Discogs->Owlseek combo if anything.
Rekordbox does streaming too through Beatport & Soundcloud, so you can do it with proper CDJs as long as you have a laptop attached, I think you can also stream music from your personal Dropbox

I think they all support it in some way now