Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
probably the most advanced spam bot we've had on here i think? let's keep him online for a bit longer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
HMGovt may wish to avert his eyes now...

I've got a fridge full of not-terribly-exciting winter veg that's staring at me reproachfully every time I open it, and I'm thinking of making some sort of curried soup with them. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions for this? I've got a fair selection of spices - several types of chili, cumin, coriander, ground ginger and garlic, turmeric, the usual stuff - plus some garam masala and tandoori spice mixes.

Leo, comelately, entertainment, yyaldrin, Slothrop - looking at you guys here. Cheers!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd probably roast some (but not all) of the veg I reckon, including garlic, and add back into the pan after you've cooked the unroasted stuff. As for spices - coriander/cumin/caraway (if you have it)/chilli for North African type soup, maybe some paprika too. Also yoghurt (or cream if you're feeling decadent)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thanks baboon, although it's a bit late now as hunger got the better of me and I decided to just go ahead and make it. Yoghurt will definitely feature in the finished soup, I think. Roasting the veg first sounds like a good idea - I'll give that a shot next time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Jerusalem artichoke and sweet potato is a good root veg one too (possibly with tarragon IIRC, and half the veg roasted)

Ooh, that sounds really good. Sweet potato and rosemary is a winner too, I think.

All good suggestions for the next time I shop to make a soup (today I just wanted to use up some spuds, carrots, broccoli and so on).

nochexxx

harco pronting
what's everyones goto lentil recipes? looking for something mind blowingly simple that uses a few ingredients.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Afghan carrot and lentil hotpot - Qorma e Zardak:

Also warm lentil salad with roast butternut squash, feta, mint and red wine vinegar. Puy or green lentils both work here.

Leo

Is it good for the environment if you scale it up?

I'd imagine so. the advantages are in greenhouse gases and land use...

Lab-grown meat would cut greenhouse gas emissions and save energy, research suggests

In comparison to conventionally-produced European meat, the team estimate cultured meat would involve approximately 7-45% lower energy use, 78-96% lower greenhouse gas emissions, 99% lower land use, and 82-96% lower water use depending on the type of meat.

The team point out that their calculations do not currently take into account additional savings from, for instance, the lower energy costs of transport and refrigeration of cultured meat compared to the conventional variety. They also suggest that land freed up from farming could be reforested or used for other carbon sequestration purposes, further lowering the carbon footprint of cultured meat.