zhao

there are no accidents
Wooah a 3-dimensional city! What crazy mindfuck idea will he come up with next?

did you read the next part which says "where you ride elevators up and down like the tube" ?

in it this boy who was convinced that the sky existed somewhere (most people believing it to be myth and fiction), took the train UP for 2 months...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"did you read the next part which says "where you ride elevators up and down like the tube" ?"
Well there it is, mutherfucking elevators that go up and down!

Sorry Zhao, just being a cunt.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i do belive things cahnge from one form into another

beyond that
load of bollocks

Um sorry to burst your bubble but there is nothing beyond "things change" really to evolution besides maybe natural selection, which is just a way of describing how things change the way the obviously do change.

Too bad believing or not believing won't change anything Luka.

Baby Jeebus cries every time someone converts to evolution.

luka

i do find it funny how much people have invested in evolution.
i can understand it in a way. the creationists are so comically thick and evil and viscious that it makes everyone with an ounce of sense rally behind the darwin banner.
that sort of thing is strategically stupid though. like if i'd become a commie during the cold war cos i didn't like americans or soemthing.

littlebird

Wild Horses
i do find it funny how much people have invested in evolution.
i can understand it in a way. the creationists are so comically thick and evil and viscious that it makes everyone with an ounce of sense rally behind the darwin banner.
that sort of thing is strategically stupid though. like if i'd become a commie during the cold war cos i didn't like americans or soemthing.

that is part of the appeal of evolution though, isn't it? if one is to take a side most would rather wave the darwin flag then be sitting in the "creationist" section of the room. that doesn't make it true though.

the cold war point, well put.

Chris

fractured oscillations
that is part of the appeal of evolution though, isn't it? if one is to take a side most would rather wave the darwin flag then be sitting in the "creationist" section of the room. that doesn't make it true though.

the cold war point, well put.

most people are desperate to fit in and will never have an opinion that might be unpopular. it's funny.

littlebird

Wild Horses
most people are desperate to fit in and will never have an opinion that might be unpopular. it's funny.

is either of the opinions, in terms of creation/evolution actually "popular"?

just curious as to the point you were making.

growing up with a parochial school education there was never anything taught beyond "creationism", though anything outside the school buildings/people i met that were friends of family, etc. insisted on evolution. made for an interesting upbringing. hippie parents/family who seemed to think bible-thumping schools were the best place for their kid.

so, not sure i ever fit in to either scenarios, nor wanted to.

Chris

fractured oscillations
If this is true, then this must be why the vast majority of Americans are creationists.

nah, I mean it for both sides. In the rural and suburban areas, you get a lot of phony christians, and in teenage and hip circles, everybody's fashionably atheist.

I'm not necessarily questioning the motivations of peoples' stances here, this board strikes me as a place where people at least think through and consider what they believe a bit. Which I respect, whichever conclusions they come to.

nomadthethird

I think it's funny that people really think you can like choose whether evolution is true like it's a kind of belief system.

It's just the best working theory about how organic life has come to be what it is on Earth. The consensus is there. There's really no room to doubt evolution, only to have slightly different versions of how it happened, or when the different eras or ice ages happened. There's tons of room for interesting work to be done filling in gaps, but there's no doubt about the fact that organic life happens according to an evolutionary process.

Saying "I don't believe in evolution"...That's like saying, I don't believe in Pluto.

Oh, you don't? Oh good, phew, for a minute there I was worried that it might not matter what the hell you believe in, seeing as facts are facts.

luka

of course it applies to both sides.
there is an unthinking acceptance on both sides. on both sides its holy writ.
as you all can probably guess im hardly up to date on the scientific consensus of the moment, if there is one. dawkins take on evolution is transparently silly, but he has plenty of detractors among scientists i take it. whats the current state of play?
natural selection doesn't explain things terribly well. i mean, if you just take death and success in breeding as the only factors in changing genetic makeup. then add a few mutations. burroughs was always going on about viruses becoming symbiotes. thats fairly accepted now right?

luka

i thik you should probably engage your brain before leaping in sometimes nomad, particluarly if you insist on adopting such an aggrssive tone.
think maybe about what the context is. im fairly obviously not going to be a creationist.
and the title of the thread is i dont belive in no evolution.
also when is anything i say supposed to be taken at face value?

Chris

fractured oscillations
is either of the opinions, in terms of creation/evolution actually "popular"?.

sorry, didn't see this post at first...

yeah, it depends which culture you're in.

growing up with a parochial school education there was never anything taught beyond "creationism", though anything outside the school buildings/people i met that were friends of family, etc. insisted on evolution. made for an interesting upbringing. hippie parents/family who seemed to think bible-thumping schools were the best place for their kid.

so, not sure i ever fit in to either scenarios, nor wanted to.

totally, and I've noticed that a lot of people who've come up in religious environments where it was forced strictly on them, like say Catholicism or Mormonism, end up allergic to religion. Understandably.

I came up seeing the best of the religious world, it was never forced on me at all, was uber-tolerant, rational while encouraging of all types of creativity... so I'm a religous apologist for the most part. I still tend to hang out with agnostics and atheists though, but that's just because the types of christians in my area at the mo are these awful, non-denominational Christian Right business types who have more in common with the beliefs taught at "positive-thinking" New Age seminars.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

of course it applies to both sides.
there is an unthinking acceptance on both sides. on both sides its holy writ.
as you all can probably guess im hardly up to date on the scientific consensus of the moment, if there is one. dawkins take on evolution is transparently silly, but he has plenty of detractors among scientists i take it. whats the current state of play?
natural selection doesn't explain things terribly well. i mean, if you just take death and success in breeding as the only factors in changing genetic makeup. then add a few mutations. burroughs was always going on about viruses becoming symbiotes. thats fairly accepted now right?

Huh? No, I'm not sure sure, but nobody in the scientific community takes a lot of issue with the idea of natural selection, but that's MOSTLY because they're not interpreting the way I think you might be, which is not the scientific interpretation.

Evolution is the process by which organic life changes over time. This process is often affected by a) random genetic mutations, and b) the potential for these mutations to be "adaptive" given an organism's environment.

Success in breeding is not a "factor" in "changing" genetic makeup as such. I'm not even sure what that means. Explain.