littlebird

Wild Horses
im fully aware of this. its another thing which makes me think that evolution theory isn't this magic tool which explain everything thereby freeing us from the need to ever think again.

figured you were, in all actuality. just pointed it out as it seems as much as genetics explains, it leaves a lot of variables in place.

ah, the magic tool. suppose we'd all die of boredom if such a thing actually existed.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
im fully aware of this. its another thing which makes me think that evolution theory isn't this magic tool which explain everything thereby freeing us from the need to ever think again.

Yeah, that's us scienticians, always not thinking.

luka

why dont we all just chose sides and shout at each other.
that would be fun.

Chris

fractured oscillations
i grew up around the kind of "Christian Right non-denominational" types you refer to. actually went to grade school, for two years, at the "positive thinking" California-mecca that is that glass monstrosity (Crystal Cathedral) in Anaheim/Garden Grove. :confused:

(your location suggests you'll know where i mean)

and yes, it did have more in common with New Age-y rhetoric, then any religious doctrine that i've come in contact with.

yeah, I lived and went to High School in Anaheim, and am definitely familiar with Crystal Cathedral, as it's pretty hard not to see. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I just read a few days ago that they've lost their big name pastor and millions of dollars.

Chris

fractured oscillations
think of all the things we could learn
like, erm, who has the loudest voice

hahaha, have you ever been to /b/?

it's actually kind of cathartic after all the politeness and manners here.

trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling....

littlebird

Wild Horses
yeah, I lived and went to High School in Anaheim, and am definitely familiar with Crystal Cathedral, as it's pretty hard not to see. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I just read a few days ago that they've lost their big name pastor and millions of dollars.

yeah. it is a monstrosity, truly it is.
i went to HS in Tustin. college in Fullerton, actually.

i hadn't learned they lost their pastor. doesn't surprise me much, though.

nomadthethird

hahaha, have you ever been to /b/?

it's actually kind of cathartic after all the politeness and manners here.

trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling....

Ha I really love some of those places online where you can't tell who's kidding and who isn't.

I've been thinking of making my magnum opus as a "poe" on one of those evolution debate websites. Those just really get me laughing like nothing else.

But don't let this message board fool you. Even though it's really polite as far as message boards go, there are still some people who post things, very flagrantly, just to try to get a rise. Hell, they even admit to it.

nomadthethird

Yes, tiresome. Strike some pose that's supposed to be outre just for the sake of it.

It's almost like science, and especially evolutionary biology, are the new God. Nobody believes in it, but they don't hesitate to go running into its arms for antibiotics when they have a UTI and it feels like they're peeing razorblades, or when they get cancer and need chemotherapy.

Were it not for evo biology, we'd not have discovered DNA and be mapping the human genome, and we'd be getting nowhere on stem cell research, which is going to have literally thousands of direct medical applications.

littlebird

Wild Horses
wauuu...

same here... !?

I wouldn't be so surprised, if it weren't for that there's hardly any Americans, let alone Californians, let alone Orange County survivors on this forum. Hey.

it is odd, for the reasons you stated. when i saw your location it took me by surprised, i admit.

those of us who survived growing up behind the "orange curtain" need to stick together, i suppose. though i don't live there any longer (still in CA, just not in OC).

i am around there still sometimes, though, as my best friend still lives there. and i'm rather fond of mcclains, the continental, sunset lounge and the olde ship.

mixed_biscuits

bus.jpg

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
Thats the idea behind 'Intelligent Design' or whatever the nouveu riche bible bashers are calling it isnt it?

Natural Selection has basically been consigned to dustbin of history has it not? Maybe just the circles I run (around) in. You get all these wierd permutations like Group Selection blahblahblah & end up at the gas chamber, not a good look.

It has a really hard time explaining alot of (pretty) universal traits, the panopoly of self destruction. Bataille did more to describe that than any Darwinist ever could.

The idea that evoloution is silentally moving us 'forward' towards bigger & better mutations is obv. bollocks. Burroughs interpolated that if a virus & the host reach a point where each party is mutally benefiting from the arrangment then the virus ceases to be a virus, or seen as a virus. This can be anything, from The Word, to Love.

Any system where there are as many connections as discrete elements approachs chaos.

That goes alot further, for me, to describing what we've been observing in the natural world.

Of course Evolution is a belif system, comprable to one of the 'big 3' - this doesn't mean that the idea of evolution isnt constanly shifting its parameters or make it any less 'true' or 'false' Likewise, just cos I don't believe in their book doesn't undermine the relevance of 2000+ years of lived experiance.

luka

thank you doom, nice to see an intelligent response.
thats touches on a lot of what i was hinting at.

Chris

fractured oscillations
it is odd, for the reasons you stated. when i saw your location it took me by surprised, i admit.

those of us who survived growing up behind the "orange curtain" need to stick together, i suppose. though i don't live there any longer (still in CA, just not in OC).

Nice to hear you moved on. I should be off to teach in Europe, once I'm done taking my time with school, but people seem to get stuck here... maybe because most of their friends never leave. Never quite got why Orange County natives never venture out, but it seems to be a thing here.

i am around there still sometimes, though, as my best friend still lives there. and i'm rather fond of mcclains, the continental, sunset lounge and the olde ship.

Yeah, I like those spots. I'm right around the corner from the Continental myself, by old town Fullerton. I do really like it here... not bad at all for Orange County.