Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i think Baudrillard got it right when he said that the cold war literally froze war into a media spectacle, which no longer has anything to do with reality, and which has been kind of shot into orbit around the planet (like a satellite or orbital nuke); this sustains global capital with the constant threat of war, which is always on the edge of apprehension. this is a strategy employed to safeguard capitalism against threats like violence (which destroys infrastructure), and network contagions. the problem here, according to Baudrillard, is that this bubble of sanitation itself becomes virulent, like an auto-immune virus, and starts eating away at its own supports.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i think Baudrillard got it right when he said that the cold war literally froze war into a media spectacle, which no longer has anything to do with reality, and which has been kind of shot into orbit around the planet (like a satellite or orbital nuke); this sustains global capital with the constant threat of war, which is always on the edge of apprehension. this is a strategy employed to safeguard capitalism against threats like violence (which destroys infrastructure), and network contagions. the problem here, according to Baudrillard, is that this bubble of sanitation itself becomes virulent, like an auto-immune virus, and starts eating away at its own supports.

Baudrillard deserves lauding for his The Gulf War Did Not Take Place, rightly pointing out the horrific effects for the defending forces when they met the overwhelming military superiority of the invaders, with such infamous episodes as the brutal, hellish 'Highway of Death'.

would Baudrillard put America, the vile Syria, the state-capitalist China and the somewhat undemocratic Russia all using force - or implying threats of force - to safeguard their interests in the same category? does he differentiate between different sorts of domestic political systems and the different ways they project their power?

just thinking of the grotesque North Korea, possibly an exception that proves the rule.
of course the regime does very nicely for themselves, also the Sudanese regime, say.

Equatorial Guinea another govt that projects power extremely effectively in order to maintain stability.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
mistadubalina, i salute you!

I've returned from the meadow with a fellow named X
two turntables and a spark upon his set
wet behind the ears from the tears of my peers
rap is outta control that's what we fear
so we collapse any actual threats
with the new batch of catchy little quirks
and it works like a charm as I bomb and alarm
any listeners
coming through crisper