generation kill

SOS

just finished watching the 4th episode, its quality, just as moreish as the wire, and the character dynamics are as slick as you might expect. Raises lots of thought provoking issues and generally feels really insightful even if its just 'good televison' in affect. :slanted:

Last edited:

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I thought it was well scripted and acted but was a bit limited in scope. It gives you, what I assume to be, a pretty accurate portrayal of life for those at the bottom of the marine hiearchy and their frustrations with lack of equipment, those in command and the imcompetence of superiors etc. However, for me it felt limited to that.

The strength of the Wire (which I'm choosing as a point of comparison because of its strength not its makers) was that you got a real sense for how so many people experienced their corner of life, from corner boys and drug addicts to teachers, cops and up to the mayor.

gumdrops

just started this. am on ep 3. high quality as id expect, and im sure a lot of US military would appreciate the realism and attention to detail, but for me, when it dips into a lot of military lingo which im not that well versed in, i lose interest a bit. and there seems a lot of that. its weird though, even though it is obv quite single minded in some respects, it doesnt feel as limited as something like the hurt locker. theres a lot going on within those limits. but it is a very particular (mundane) aspect of military life that seems like it can be a bit trying for a whole series. might pursue with it, not sure.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I have to say I thought it was all insanely boring, and the flowery script just makes it sound like a sweary Dawson's Creek or something.

I acknowledge that part of its boringness stems from its successful portrayal of the characters' boredom, but really...

Did like the radio coms over the end credits though.

gumdrops

i cant be arsed with it it cos i cant be bothered with seeing young soldiers getting so trigger happy all the time.

and calling everyone hajji.