Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by routes View Post
    i hope they orchestrate some kind of elaborate death where they run him over with a really boring family saloon.
    Ha, or bicycles, repeadly, for as long as needed to cause death.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

around christmas 2009 there were loads of posters on the tube advertising a jeremy clarkson book with a slogan/quote saying something like "shakespeare? i'd rather poke my eyes out". My mate defaced one of them so that it said "culture? i'd rather drive a mercedes around pointlessly."

Jeremy Clarkson is really at the heart of everything that's wrong with society today.

Quote Originally Posted by routes View Post
    i hope they orchestrate some kind of elaborate death where they run him over with a really boring family saloon.
    This.

I haven't kept that close an eye on this stuff, just seen and read bits and pieces over the years, but the latest is that the security services captured one of El Chapo's kids and were then driven out of a city and forced to let him go after being surrounded by cartel members. Apparently there were shootouts in the street and all sorts.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-me...-idUKKBN1WW34O

Is there even a workable solution at this point? Supposedly the cartels are making more money than some small countries, they're as heavily armed as the Mexican military and they've branched out into legitimate business like selling fresh produce and oil. What can you really do against that kind of operation?
    Last edited by version; 18-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.

There was some bloke on Rogan (I know, I know) who's been down there reporting on it for eighteen years or so and the stories he was telling... you just sort of throw your hands up and don't know what to say. It's a similar feeling to seeing the Amazon burning on the other side of the world. This monumental catastrophe you can't really do anything about and which it's a struggle to even get your head around.

That rogan is gnarly af
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Horror movie stuff.

Over 40 skulls found at altar in den of Mexico cartel suspects

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Police found more than 40 skulls, dozens of bones and a fetus in a glass jar next to an altar in the den of suspected drug traffickers in Mexico City during a raid this week, authorities said on Sunday.

Four of the skulls were built into the altar in the central Tepito neighborhood, where police arrested 31 people on Tuesday on suspicion of drug cartel activity, the city government said in a statement. A judge ordered 27 of the suspects released.

A photo distributed by the Mexico City attorney generalís office showed skulls clustered around the altar, which had a cross behind it adorned with a horned wooden face mask. To the right of the altar was a painted wall full of symbols that included a pyramid topped with a hand, celestial bodies and the head of a goat with a hexagram between its horns, according to photos of the room published by local media. In front of the wall stood a variety of objects, including dozens of wooden sticks with colored markings.

A spokeswoman for the attorney generalís office said authorities were still investigating the provenance of the skulls, at least 42 of which had been found. Investigators also discovered knives, 40 jawbones, the fetus and 30 leg or arm bones at the site, the office said. It was not yet clear whether the fetus was human, the spokeswoman said.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-me...-idUKKBN1X702H

i hate sigs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

That's the argument you said spengler makes. The land itself imposes a shape on its people

I think it's not quite the same, as he was talking about the USA and the descendents of European settlers, whereas many people in modern Mexico are descended partly or wholly from the original native inhabitants. And a lot of their beliefs weren't stamped out but sublimated into a very syncretic kind of Catholicism.

Plus of course it's possible to learn about your ancestors' beliefs from books or the Internet or whatever. I'd guess this is somewhat analogous to far-right groups in Northern Europe calling themselves the "Sons of Odin" or fetishising the Knights Templar.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 03-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    i hate sigs

Of course, on a poetic level it's hard not to think of Burroughs' line about how America "is not a young land. It is old and dirty and evil, before the settlers, before the Indians".
    i hate sigs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

The Titty-Twister club in 'From Dusk Till Dawn' that turns out to be built on top of an Aztec pyramid.
    i hate sigs

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Horror movie stuff
    100% not surprised it's Tepito, infamously the black market neighborhood and long (like, for centuries) associated with all manner of crime

it's always the example I use when telling people Mexico City isn't a place to fuck around unless you really know what you're doing

strangely it's very close to the zocalo (i.e. the Palacio Nacional etc) and the Zona Rosa (affluent/tourist/gay neighborhood) so it's easy to stumble on unawares

then again, here in Chicago we famously had one of the country's worst housing projects - Cabrini Green - about a mile from the Loop for decades

having said that, and acknowledging the staggering level/form of violence, power of the narcos and lack of state control in swathes of the country

it's too easy too to get a Sicario type impression of the country as just a chasm of severed heads etc

Mexico has always existed to some extent that way in the American psyche - lawlessness, violence, poverty - which isn't untrue but is one-dimensional and incomplete

let it never be forgotten that drug violence as presently constituted was kicked off by Calderon (two presidents past) declaring war on the cartels in 2006

largely as a way to drum up support/legitimacy following a very narrow electoral victory over Lopez Obrador (aka AMLO, longtime lefty and current prez)

not that everything was peachy keen before that, but the narcos - to my understanding - kept it among themselves to a much larger degree

and it spiraled totally out of control - both shattered the status quo into an endless churning sea of ever-increasing sea of savagery, and exposed fundamental weaknesses of the Mexican state